Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 01:09 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Zero to do with "affordability."

It has to do with DEMAND.
And "demand" does not have anything to do with "affordability"? I think they are joined at the hip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 01:23 PM

382 posts, read 179,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have a friend who moved from Idaho back to California a little less than a year ago, she said that she was stuck there for a decade until housing prices in Idaho went up enough to make it viable for them to sell their home and beat feet out of Idaho.
Same thing happened to people who bought in Ca from 2006 until 2014/2015 when prices got back to the previous peak in '06. Less desirable areas didn't fully come back until '16/'17.

Last edited by Carpenter858; 02-07-2022 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-07-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The Idahoans I know would rather die then move to Ca. And they’re not poor
One does not have to be "poor" not to be able to afford to buy a house in Southern California.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:25 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
It’s because all the uhauls are going out of Ca not in so supply is low

This is what I love about Idahoans. (and everyone else everywhere who doesn’t want to cram into California)

Old 02-07-2022, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This is what I love about Idahoans. (and everyone else everywhere who doesn’t want to cram into California)
Indeed! It does not make me sad to know that not everyone wants to live where I live.

Old 02-11-2022, 09:34 AM

52 posts, read 31,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Utah back to Coastal California cost us about $3K. So what?
I picked a random date of 3/25, and used the largest truck 26 foot to see.

Monterey, CA (Near where your profile states you are) to Salt Lake City, UT= $2,998
Salt Lake City, UT to Monterey, CA= $817.

The point is it is three times more because the demand of one way trucks out of CA is high, and CA needs more trucks so those that get a one way coming in the trucks are a lot cheaper. If you paid $3k not sure how then it would of been a lot more in reverse.

Old 02-11-2022, 10:18 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
It’s because all the uhauls are going out of Ca not in so supply is low

So my sister, in California sends me a picture of a pick up truck with Idaho plates, she says seeing they are moving here too. ( bed of truck was empty). I said no, they already moved here to ID. When she asked me why they were there, I told her to get more of their stuff since moving trucks were scare

Old 02-11-2022, 08:00 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
https://thehill.com/changing-america...and-heading-to

Updated survey from van lines company about states people are leaving from, and moving to, & why.

Cali was #5 for outbound, but I didn't read how these rankings were done. If they are not per capita, then being 5th might not be bad since Cali's population is so large.

Old 02-11-2022, 08:04 PM

798 posts, read 502,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Updated survey from van lines company about states people are leaving from, and moving to, & why.

Cali was #5 for outbound, but I didn't read how these rankings were done. If they are not per capita, then being 5th might not be bad since Cali's population is so large.
39 million

Old 02-11-2022, 08:24 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I was questioning the methods used for the survey. So, I looked it up. It's turns out that it sounds more dramatic than what was actually going on. Though the outflow was higher which is actually a good thing for such an overcrowded state. Unfortunately, like most reports, its over dramatized. Here's a snapshot from the survey. With 40.7% inbound and 59.3% outbound, its unlikely enough to make a significant dent in the 40 million inhabitants or the high cost of housing. https://www.unitedvanlines.com/newsr...ers-study-2021

The most interesting part which was more of an observation is that "This year’s survey results indicated 31.8% of Americans who moved did so in order to be closer to family – a new trend coming out of the pandemic as priorities and lifestyle choices shift. Additionally, 32.5% of Americans moved for a new job or job transfer, a significant decrease from 2015, when more than 60% of Americans cited a job or transfer."

Increased remote work opportunities are allowing people to spread out more, return to live closer to family, where its more affordable, etc... Because CA grew so much faster over the past 50 years than other states, it actually has a disproportionate number of transplants. And now is the perfect time for them to return to those home states when the golden handcuffs in the form of jobs are finally loosened. Although I'm a native, I was happy that my company gave me that freedom pre-pandemic allowing us to move out of state. Now, its becoming much more acceptable nationwide. Therefore, folks don't have to feel like they need to move to CA to 'make it' when starting a new career or grow in their existing career. They can have their cake (CA job opportunities) and eat it too (live anywhere).

This rebalancing trend of real estate and job markets across our nation will continue post pandemic. CA may finally get some relief from the never ending onslaught of people flooding into the state.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-11-2022 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California