Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:49 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Please explain to me what you mean when you say culture shock, what does so. cal. have that causes such a statement? What type of culture is Bakersfield lacking? I'm just confused over these statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 03:39 PM

331 posts, read 2,110,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Please explain to me what you mean when you say culture shock, what does so. cal. have that causes such a statement? What type of culture is Bakersfield lacking? I'm just confused over these statements.
the words "culture" and "Bakersfield" have ZERO in common!!!! It offers nothing to entice even a visit. The only people I know who live there are those born there and never left OR were offered jobs they couldn't resist. No one goes there to visit Bakersfield, like one would with say LA or Palm Springs.

Old 12-31-2006, 03:50 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Tell me what kind of museums,art and music does Bakersfield offer that produces well rounded kids and inspires them to learn more about the world around them? Most people I met when I lived there were terrified of the "outside world" and those that dared to move away, always came back because they needed the comfort of small town Bakersfield and couldn't handle the outside world. This is not to say the people there aren't nice because I never met anyone I didn't like...just wanted more than Bakersfield could offer. Sorry.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:22 PM

I'm asking you. What does Bakersfield lack in culture? and what does So. Cal offer that makes it so much better? I don't know, thats why I'm asking you.

As far as people from Bakersfield being terrified of the outside world I find that absured. I've lived in a few other states and cities and although bakersfield is not the best it is far from the worst.

Last edited by Roaddog; 12-31-2006 at 05:14 PM..

Old 12-31-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
the words "culture" and "Bakersfield" have ZERO in common!!!! It offers nothing to entice even a visit. The only people I know who live there are those born there and never left OR were offered jobs they couldn't resist. No one goes there to visit Bakersfield, like one would with say LA or Palm Springs.
Okay then tell me what you mean by culture, art, music and theater? or the people themselves? Explain please.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:15 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times
Quote:
Okay then tell me what you mean by culture, art, music and theater? or the people themselves? Explain please.
I do not think that So. Cal is so much better than Bakersfield, but what it does offer that BK doesn't is Natural History Museum, Los Angeles County Museum, MOCA, art galleries, Getty Museums (2) Tons of venues for theater,musicals,opera,concerts,jazz,great restaurants,ocean, diversity of cultures and people....VARIETY! Do you not see any of these things or is it that these things that I mentioned are unimportant to you personally, which is fine, but you wanted to know what I meant by culture and I hope this answers your questions.
Personally, my family is moving to one of the greatest areas for American Culture and European History in the U.S....Boston. Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2006, 05:44 PM

Ok I understand what your saying but thats true about most cities in california, take a trip up the valley and your going to find it true in most of the cities because of thier size. We have all the same thing in a much smaller scale because we dont have the population that So. Cal. has, you have to look a little harder but we have it, most are ran by private organizations and not by the city or county, we have Rabo Bank which holds concerts, musicals and a host of events.
As with any city, the size of the population determines the amount and variety entertainment.
I really dont understand the fast bash posting for everyone who askes about Bakersfield but I'm pretty sure it's just because some people have to have something to put down to make them feel good about themselves.
Thanks for answering my question
Happy new Year

Last edited by Roaddog; 12-31-2006 at 06:19 PM..

Old 12-31-2006, 08:16 PM

331 posts, read 2,110,088 times
Quote:
All of the above... When I was there on a week long job, I tried to find something to do. An Art show, concert...anything!!! And all I encounterd was unfriendly people for the most part. Like I was intruding. They were rude and lacked manners. I am not saying everyone in Bakersfield is that way. So don't attack... I am just saying the people I happened to meet. And that was each time I was there... and twice I had something stolen.

This was some time back... Guess after my experiences there... being BORED out of my mind, and all that went along with it. I never considered it a place to go back to.

Old 12-31-2006, 09:50 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
It's a bunch of small things added together to make a marginal cultural experience. Settling for (even seeking) chain restaurants rather than special local places ... Favoring the current movie releases rather than more challenging fare ... Building repetitive neighborhoods rather than trying for more character and variety ... Listening to same-old radio stations rather than embracing public radio ... Promoting traditional cottton-candy fairs rather than other cultures' experiences ...

Old 12-31-2006, 11:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
Bakersfield may have problems,but it really isn't that bad of a place to call home....Their are far more worst places in other parts of the Country and in other parts of the World.

Bakersfield in my opinion is one of the nicest cities to live in the Central Valley :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California