Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 09:43 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
Well the point is really that nobody has died. A lot more people die from carbon emissions
Hahahaha …
Actually, people have died… dozens and dozens more … why don’t you look things up before you make claims? It’s easy enough to find.

Certainly a lot of people die from carbon emissions. But this exchange is about your statement supporting nuclear power. I merely pointed out that anti-nuclear environmentalists ARE aware nuclear has no carbon emissions … but that they are also aware of the great other latent dangers of nuclear power … including that there are no long term storage solutions … just kick the can burials that can (and do) leak.

Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima are examples of the loooooooooong term devastation to huuuuuuuuge areas and resources that can occur.

Me personally? I hate ALL forms of power generation. Yeah: ALL. No, I’m not kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 06:39 AM

612 posts, read 351,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Hahahaha …
Actually, people have died… dozens and dozens more … why don’t you look things up before you make claims? It’s easy enough to find.

Certainly a lot of people die from carbon emissions. But this exchange is about your statement supporting nuclear power. I merely pointed out that anti-nuclear environmentalists ARE aware nuclear has no carbon emissions … but that they are also aware of the great other latent dangers of nuclear power … including that there are no long term storage solutions … just kick the can burials that can (and do) leak.

Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima are examples of the loooooooooong term devastation to huuuuuuuuge areas and resources that can occur.

Me personally? I hate ALL forms of power generation. Yeah: ALL. No, I’m not kidding.
Dozens? Sounds pretty safe then

Old 04-19-2023, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Dozens? Sounds pretty safe then
You appear to not have the slightest awareness of the history and potential of nuclear accidents. Nor about the challenges of nuclear waste storage. You’ve made factually wrong statements as if they are factually right, demonstrating your lack of informational depth on this particular issue. Thus your summarizing conclusion that “it sounds pretty safe then” carries no weight. However well informed you may be on any other topics, you are simply grossly uninformed here.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:28 AM

Here’s one example of how “pretty safe then” nuclear power is when it goes wrong:

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/chernobyl/faqs

It’s not the only example. Look up the recent Fukushima disaster and others.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Here’s one example of how “pretty safe then” nuclear power is when it goes wrong:

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/chernobyl/faqs

It’s not the only example. Look up the recent Fukushima disaster and others.

These are pretty much the worst in history and the deaths weren't very high

Old 04-19-2023, 07:55 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Hahahaha …

I have no doubt your not kidding. Did you write that using a lantern for light?

Old 04-19-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
These are pretty much the worst in history and the deaths weren't very high
Your earlier post asked if environmentalists weren’t aware that nuclear power is free from carbon emissions. I have pointed out that environmentalists’ concerns relate to the extremely disastrous potential of nuclear. While you may feel the long term devastation of thousands of square miles of area, wiping out livability of towns of tens of thousands of people, toxifying of rivers and streams and indeed the entire earth’s atmosphere are acceptable risks … many environmentalists disagree. That is the answer to your question: yes they understand. You apparently can’t quite wrap your head around what environmentalists’ concerns are. Okay. Asked. And answered. Get it?

Old 04-19-2023, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I have no doubt your not kidding. Did you write that using a lantern for light?
Hahaha. Actually, I’m using nothing but daylight at the moment.

But, to the larger point, one doesn’t have to like many things that one is forced by circumstances to use. Civilization is what it is. I am not a hermit.

That said, do I think the way we consume power is a good thing? Nope.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Your earlier post asked if environmentalists weren’t aware that nuclear power is free from carbon emissions. I have pointed out that environmentalists’ concerns relate to the extremely disastrous potential of nuclear. While you may feel the long term devastation of thousands of square miles of area, wiping out livability of towns of tens of thousands of people, toxifying of rivers and streams and indeed the entire earth’s atmosphere are acceptable risks … many environmentalists disagree. That is the answer to your question: yes they understand. You apparently can’t quite wrap your head around what environmentalists’ concerns are. Okay. Asked. And answered. Get it?

Except it's not extremely disastrous. The amount of space needed to for a nuclear plant is tiny compared to utility scale wind and solar

In fact retiring nuclear is more disastrous.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Except it's not extremely disastrous. The amount of space needed to for a nuclear plant is tiny compared to utility scale wind and solar

In fact retiring nuclear is more disastrous.
Well now you are arguing your point of view, which is shared by many proponents of nuclear. Feel free, of course. You think the risks are worth the product.

But where this exchange between us started, you asked a question … which I answered.
Then you made a few erroneous and unsupportable statements … to which I responded with supported corrections.

Environmentalists disagree with your POV. They’re not crazy. Their fears are shared by the IAEA and very much also by the nuclear industry and engineers … the *potential* for disasters is extraordinary… which is why the industry is so deeply regulated and carefully designed. The experts believe they can control the beast, in spite of examples of failures and in spite of there being *no long-term solution to storage* other than to keep adding to the buried stockpile and cleaning up leaks.

You feel it’s as simple an issue as ‘the risks are worth the product.’ … the consequences of the failures are acceptable in your mind. They’re not in the minds of environmentalists. That doesn’t make environmentalists ignorant, or stupid.

As to “retiring nuclear is more disastrous” … um, how so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California