Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 09:10 AM

612 posts, read 351,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well now you are arguing your point of view, which is shared by many proponents of nuclear. Feel free, of course. You think the risks are worth the product.

But where this exchange between us started, you asked a question … which I answered.
Then you made a few erroneous and unsupportable statements … to which I responded with supported corrections.

Environmentalists disagree with your POV. They’re not crazy. Their fears are shared by the IAEA and very much also by the nuclear industry and engineers … the *potential* for disasters is extraordinary… which is why the industry is so deeply regulated and carefully designed. The experts believe they can control the beast, in spite of examples of failures and in spite of there being *no long-term solution to storage* other than to keep adding to the buried stockpile and cleaning up leaks.

You feel it’s as simple an issue as ‘the risks are worth the product.’ … the consequences of the failures are acceptable in your mind. They’re not in the minds of environmentalists. That doesn’t make environmentalists ignorant, or stupid.

As to “retiring nuclear is more disastrous” … um, how so?
I don't

I don't think they're crazy. I think they just want their home values to go up and they want to depopulate the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 09:13 AM

21,731 posts, read 16,334,063 times
“ Carbon is an essential element for all life forms on Earth. Whether these life forms take in carbon to help manufacture food or release carbon as part of respiration, the intake and output of carbon is a component of all plant and animal life”

What’s bad about carbon emissions is when volume exceeds natural environmental balance. Carbon itself is component of life and healthy process.

Nuclear radiation is not similarly a life element. Playing with it is playing with fire.

Finding ways to produce energy with the least disruptive addition of carbon emissions is the name of the game now. Are the risks of nuclear production less than other forms of energy production such as solar, wind, waves, hydrogen, et al? Argue away. But no one is crazy for questioning risks.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekdog View Post
I don't

I don't think they're crazy. I think they just want their home values to go up
Not following you here. You think the environmentalists are concerned about their home values? Where? Around Diablo? Which doesn’t account for the arguments against nuclear around the nation and world.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
“ Carbon is an essential element for all life forms on Earth. Whether these life forms take in carbon to help manufacture food or release carbon as part of respiration, the intake and output of carbon is a component of all plant and animal life”

What’s bad about carbon emissions is when volume exceeds natural environmental balance. Carbon itself is component of life and healthy process.

Nuclear radiation is not similarly a life element. Playing with it is playing with fire.

Finding ways to produce energy with the least disruptive addition of carbon emissions is the name of the game now. Are the risks of nuclear production less than other forms of energy production such as solar, wind, waves, hydrogen, et al? Argue away. But no one is crazy for questioning risks.
Yes the risks for nuclear are lower. Wind and solar take a lot of land and kill animals.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:25 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Do the "friends" of the earth realize nuclear power plants have no carbon emissions?
There's nuke waste, though.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Hahahaha …
Actually, people have died… dozens and dozens more … why don’t you look things up before you make claims? It’s easy enough to find.

Certainly a lot of people die from carbon emissions. But this exchange is about your statement supporting nuclear power. I merely pointed out that anti-nuclear environmentalists ARE aware nuclear has no carbon emissions … but that they are also aware of the great other latent dangers of nuclear power … including that there are no long term storage solutions … just kick the can burials that can (and do) leak.

Three Mile Island, Chernobyl, and Fukushima are examples of the loooooooooong term devastation to huuuuuuuuge areas and resources that can occur.

Me personally? I hate ALL forms of power generation. Yeah: ALL. No, I’m not kidding.
haha "nobody's died" from nuclear energy. Good Lord!

Old 04-19-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Yes the risks for nuclear are lower. Wind and solar take a lot of land and kill animals.
Now you’re just being silly.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:30 AM

Quote:
What animals have solar arrays killed? Have you seen some of the land they "take up"? Take a spin through the Mojave Desert and other SW desert locales. Solar energy development is making the desert productive.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What animals have solar arrays killed? Have you seen some of the land they "take up"? Take a spin through the Mojave Desert and other SW desert locales. Solar energy development is making the desert productive.
Scientists estimate between 37,800 and 138,600 birds die in the U.S. from all forms of solar energy production annually.

Sure it's productive. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying nuclear is better

Old 04-19-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Scientists estimate between 37,800 and 138,600 birds die in the U.S. from all forms of solar energy production annually.

Sure it's productive. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying nuclear is better
Nuclear is scary. The sooner scientists are able to develop a workable nuclear fusion technology, the better. Not all nuke is bad, but nuke as we know it is problematic. Especially when built in seismically active areas. Or war-prone areas, not to mention any such areas specifically....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California