Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 11:24 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Is having the state takeover a possibility.
Yes, Newsom threatened it but backed down when the state extracted "promises" from PG&E. I'm not sure why he didn't pursue it I'm sure he knows that you can't trust PG&E any more than you can a rattlesnake, maybe he didn't have support from the state legislature for it- God only knows how many legislator's pockets got filled by PG&E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 11:29 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They need to shut down PG&E and have SMUD take over

Old 08-07-2021, 11:44 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,185,431 times
My friends cousin is a firefighter fighting the fires there. He said Greenville burned down because there was no water in the hydrants. Who’s fault is that???

Old 08-07-2021, 11:49 AM

130,460 posts, read 12,124,678 times
https://www.plumasnews.com/eulogy-for-greenville/

Old 08-07-2021, 12:02 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
My friends cousin is a firefighter fighting the fires there. He said Greenville burned down because there was no water in the hydrants. Who’s fault is that???

Even if there was water in the hydrants, it may have been a uphill struggle to save the town......specially if there was wind present

Old 08-07-2021, 12:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
God? Mother nature? Or maybe the Greenville Fire Department didn't conduct mandated flow tests of hydrants, or maybe all the people who refused to evacuate and stayed behind watering down their crops and their homes put too much stress on the water system. Houston had the same problem in February who should be blamed for that?

But since you brought it up, why don't you tell us?

Old 08-07-2021, 12:11 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,742,578 times
Something kind off topic. Regardless who pays for damages, the insurance companies quickly or PG&E taking their sweet time, these small mountain towns with charm and character won't ever come back. Like you can wreck a 66 Camaro and replace it with a faster 2022 Camaro, but they are as different as day and night.

In our own Paradise there is a building boom now, but one third of the new homes are manufactured. Nothing wrong with that, these are spacious, comfortable, better insulation, but they all look the same like four coyotes in a pack. Even the fancy, expensive new custom homes have that tract-home look which makes Orange County so boringly opposite of unique.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:12 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,816,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
God? Mother nature? Or maybe the Greenville Fire Department didn't conduct mandated flow tests of hydrants, or maybe all the people who refused to evacuate and stayed behind watering down their crops and their homes put too much stress on the water system. Houston had the same problem in February who should be blamed for that?

But since you brought it up, why don't you tell us?

I also saw on the news last night that lake Oroville Reservior was down to 25% capacity....hmmm, maybe Newsom neglected to fill the resevior & the water supply for the supposed empty fire hydrants in Greenville.....all his fault

Old 08-07-2021, 12:28 PM

2,023 posts, read 1,742,578 times
Stopping a megafire with ground crews is like stopping a runaway truck by putting a small car ahead and apply the brakes. Near impossible. If California had 5-6-8 times more aircraft that might have helped, or not. The Lake Almanor is right there and it is big enough to provide water to 3 dozen helicopters all at once.

As much as I admire and respect our firefighters they can't handle something this large. Bring on the machines. We have the money, but we spend it on lesser things.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:59 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Nope, your cousin is wrong.

That fire intensity overides any water in the hydrants.

I don't think most folks, even boots on the ground firefighters understand the incredible energy release from forest fires. The Dixie Fire in terms of energy release is equal to a nuclear bomb.

Last edited by 509; 08-07-2021 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California