Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 02:19 PM

256 posts, read 114,748 times

Advertisements

Here’s a look at who should get a tip and how much to hand over :

https://money.usnews.com/money/perso...-etiquette-101

Quote:
Once upon a time, tipping was relatively simple. You might add 10% to 15% to your restaurant bill for the server or hand a dollar or two to the valet who parked your car. But now, it feels as though tipping has become the expectation everywhere.

Today’s sales terminals make it easy to ask for tips as part of a transaction, which is why customers may find themselves facing a tipping screen even in retail locations. However, Zietz doesn’t think people should feel compelled to tip every time they are asked. For instance, the clerk at your local bookstore probably doesn’t need a tip for bagging your purchase.

Instead, tipping has traditionally been reserved for those in service industries.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:27 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
CA was still $9 in 2015 - so it hasn't been "years and years." Yes, more than fed min - but still useful for tipping. In other words - if I were applying for a job as a server - I know that $9/hr was not enough to make a living - but at a nice restaurant - $9/hr PLUS TIPS is indeed a decent income.

Here in Ohio, for instance - the min wage for tipped servers remains low-ish - at $5.25, starting this year. This is not enough to get gas money to drive to work for many folks. So you are relying nearly entirely on decent tips to make this a job worth keeping. Say, $40 to $50K per year. And as a diner - I understand this. So I tip.

But if you are ALREADY making $40K per year - as with $20/hr - then I don't really understand the logic of tipping EVEN MORE - since the entire point of tipping was to overcome the practically non-existent federal min wage. The point of tipping was NEVER to get the servers "bonus" income - but - instead - to make sure the servers got an income at all. Now that they are guaranteed a actual income - let's eliminate the tipping. It's silly.

It's not about what i can afford ("if you can't afford it stay home") - it's about the logic of it.

'
Here's the thing: As more and more people understand this, clamoring will begin to eliminate server tipping altogether. NO SERVER wants that. They'd prefer ZERO min wage plus tips, rather and $20/hr + no tips. Ask one and find out. But this is the avalanche that's been started.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:31 PM

3,271 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWing View Post
I'd feel bad about myself if I didn't tip a minimum 20%...I know what their job is like.

It's a job they applied for. And lately I'm seeing suggestions of 25%.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:39 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Here in Ohio, for instance - the min wage for tipped servers remains low-ish - at $5.25, starting this year. This is not enough to get gas money to drive to work for many folks. So you are relying nearly entirely on decent tips to make this a job worth keeping. Say, $40 to $50K per year. And as a diner - I understand this. So I tip.

But if you are ALREADY making $40K per year - as with $20/hr - then I don't really understand the logic of tipping EVEN MORE - since the entire point of tipping was to overcome the practically non-existent federal min wage. The point of tipping was NEVER to get the servers "bonus" income - but - instead - to make sure the servers got an income at all. Now that they are guaranteed an actual income - let's eliminate the tipping. It's silly.
Bear in mind that cost of living is much higher in the more populated parts of California than in Ohio. COL is about 7% lower in Ohio than the national average; in California, it's 40% higher than average.

Maybe $40k sounds like a decent yearly income to you, but it would be pretty hard to live on here. If we didn't pay more than that, there would be no one to staff restaurants.

And by the way, how would you "eliminate server tipping"?

Old 01-08-2024, 02:42 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
CA was still $9 in 2015 - so it hasn't been "years and years." Yes, more than fed min - but still useful for tipping. In other words - if I were applying for a job as a server - I know that $9/hr was not enough to make a living - but at a nice restaurant - $9/hr PLUS TIPS is indeed a decent income.

But if you are ALREADY making $40K per year - as with $20/hr - then I don't really understand the logic of tipping EVEN MORE - since the entire point of tipping was to overcome the practically non-existent federal min wage. The point of tipping was NEVER to get the servers "bonus" income - but - instead - to make sure the servers got an income at all. Now that they are guaranteed a actual income - let's eliminate the tipping. It's silly.

It's not about what i can afford ("if you can't afford it stay home") - it's about the logic of it.

'
Here's the thing: As more and more people understand this, clamoring will begin to eliminate server tipping altogether. NO SERVER wants that. They'd prefer ZERO min wage plus tips, rather and $20/hr + no tips. Ask one and find out. But this is the avalanche that's been started.
Again, servers are not making $20 hour, that is for Fast Food employees who are not tipped.

Also I wouldn't compare Ohio wages to CA considering the cost of living difference between the two.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:02 PM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Cheapskates will always find a "reason" or justification.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:51 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not only about surly customers.
Of course, it isn't. And I wasn't implying it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Whether or not you have the money, whether or not you choose to leave a tip, you still have the option of going to a full service restaurant.
True, and no one said you don't. Those types end up being the topic of conversation amongst the wait-staff for being the tightwad of the day.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:24 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Of course, but if you can only afford to drive a Honda, don't buy a Cadillac. Leave a smaller tip, but do leave a tip, tips are considered part of the price of the meal.
No, tips are not considered part of the price of the meal. If they were, the actual price of the meal would include the tip.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:26 PM

130,194 posts, read 12,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
No, tips are not considered part of the price of the meal. If they were, the actual price of the meal would include the tip.
Well to most people, they know they should & will tip, so an approximate tip is included when considering where to dine. If you want to be pedantic about it, go ahead. If you want to be cheap & not tip, go ahead too.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:28 PM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC97 View Post
Of course, it isn't. And I wasn't implying it was.
True, and no one said you don't. Those types end up being the topic of conversation amongst the wait-staff for being the tightwad of the day.
Oh no! Nobody wants to be the topic of conversation amongst waitstaff! That would be a tragedy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California