Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 08:19 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times

Advertisements

Now that minimum wage is $20 an hour, do i still need to tip? I'm retired, and I don't make $20 an hour.

It's not rocket surgery. They're just bringing me food somebody else prepared.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:28 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Well, I've never heard of performing surgery on a rocket, anyway, so it's fair to say that nothing is rocket surgery.

What tipping is about, unfortunately, is that most restaurateurs pay their servers below minimum wage, and are allowed to by federal law as I understand, in anticipation of the customers making up the difference between the low wage and the official minimum wage. The $20 minimum wage doesn't apply to servers, does it? Maybe you could limit your restaurant visits to the "early bird" discount hour, so you can afford to tip the wait staff, if any restaurants in your area have "early-bird specials".

Otherwise, if you're that strapped for cash, why would you be spending the $20 you don't make on a meal out on the town anyway? Last I heard, a lot of people, no only retirees, have cut way back on going out for meals post-Covid. The pricing out there is scary.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:47 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
You see the price on the menu. that's the price you have agreed to pay.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:47 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Now that minimum wage is $20 an hour, do i still need to tip? I'm retired, and I don't make $20 an hour.

It's not rocket surgery. They're just bringing me food somebody else prepared.
You never needed to tip. Tipping your server is the way you show your appreciation. If you're dining in, a good server will make sure your glass is filled, you have everything you need, basically doing their job. It's not easy being a server. You may be the most congenial customer but you should see how some people treat servers and the things they say to them. Those people shouldn't be allowed in restaurants, imo. If you don't have the money to tip someone, you still have the option of cooking your own meals.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:42 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
There are some misconceptions in the OP.

In California, servers make the same minimum wage as almost everyone else, which is $16/hour as of this year.

Fast food workers will start making $20/hour in April. But no one tips for fast food, do they? That's not what we are talking about and we don't call the people who are working at McDonalds "servers."

Even in states where servers make less than the general minimum, if their tips aren't enough to cover the difference, their employer is obliged to make it up. So no one REALLY makes $2.13/hour or whatever the federal minimum for tipped employees is, no matter what.

Anyway, tips are always at your discretion. But since one of my daughters is a server, I know exactly how hard they work. There's a lot more to it than just carrying out plates of food. It is by no means easy to be a good server, and I always tip 20% and happy to do it.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:44 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
. The $20 minimum wage doesn't apply to servers, does it? .
Yes, in California it does.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Yes, in California it does.
No, it doesn't. $20/minimum only applies to fast food workers. Not to what we call servers, who work in sit-down restaurants.

It's not that hard to google this, folks.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:57 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC97 View Post
You never needed to tip. Tipping your server is the way you show your appreciation. If you're dining in, a good server will make sure your glass is filled, you have everything you need, basically doing their job. It's not easy being a server. You may be the most congenial customer but you should see how some people treat servers and the things they say to them. Those people shouldn't be allowed in restaurants, imo. If you don't have the money to tip someone, you still have the option of cooking your own meals.
It's not only about surly customers. It's becoming more common now for servers to be assigned to more tables than they can serve adequately, due to a dearth of servers. They really have to stretch in order to make sure everyone's glasses are topped off, everyone has what they need ("Can I get you anything more?","Are you all ok here?"), everyone gets served in a timely manner and in the order in which they were seated and placed their order/s, everyone gets their bill without too long a wait at the end, etc. That may sound easy, but not when you have another staffer's station assigned to you on top of your own.

I've watched an efficient waitress handle an entire room. She's been doing it for over 20 years, and has it down pat. She's able to "do it all" and keep smiling, always. That takes fortitude and organization, IMO. I pulled her aside after watching her for years, and told her I appreciated how good she was at her job. I tip her a little extra now, even though I'm not exactly rolling in money. I rarely eat out, in fact, except on road trips, which is when I see her.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:05 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
If I can't afford to add a tip, when eating out, I won't go, I will stay at home & cook for myself. If you are that hard up, it would be a good thing to do anyhow. Save your money for something you might enjoy more.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:08 AM

By the way, "I don't make $20/hour so I don't think this other person should either" is bizarre reasoning. Are you working as hard as a server? On your feet interacting with the public for 6+ hours a day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California