Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Left, leaving or plan on leaving California, why?
Personal freedom under attack by state lawmakers 6 3.64%
The state is becoming too "liberal" 21 12.73%
Over crowding/immigration 35 21.21%
To live the "American Dream", home ownership/higher standard of living 22 13.33%
Life here is just too expensive! 45 27.27%
To retire with a higher standard of living 11 6.67%
No real reason/took a job/just needed a change of pace 10 6.06%
Another reason 15 9.09%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 AM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I know this question has been widely documented on this forum. I'm looking for short, specific answers here. The straw that broke the camel's back.
I grew up in Montana, came here because I couldn't make a living there. Been here 24 years. Now trying to get moved back to Montana. Why?

Animal rights nuts taking over every facet of animal agriculture, and getting laws passed that allow unreasonable search and seizure. This goes directly against our Constitutional rights. This is my primary reason for wanting to leave CA.

The other reason... I'm sick of stupid people!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 AM

303 posts, read 846,345 times
And liberalism is an extremely ridiculous reason to leave. There are many reasons why I want to leave Texas, but conservatism is not one of them.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:14 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,243,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
And liberalism is an extremely ridiculous reason to leave. There are many reasons why I want to leave Texas, but conservatism is not one of them.
The problems that liberalism is causing is the reason many leave.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
The problems that liberalism is causing is the reason many leave.
Liberalism causes problems but so does conservatism. The reason many leave is cost of living ... which tends to be cheaper in conservative states. But that also has it's price.

Look at Texas, Nevada and Arizona ... the three prime re-location areas people move to. Not coincidentally, their major cities (Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas) also have the highest crime rates in the country:

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2007/index.html (broken link)

People move to these places because the taxes are lower but, more people puts more demands on law enforcement, which doesn't have the tax base to fight crime. Consequently, crime goes up.

I don't think it's any coincidence that states with little to no income tax also have very high crime rates.

Last edited by sheri257; 12-31-2008 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 AM

The highest crime rates are in cities in Democrat states.
Detroit, Chicago, Washington DC.
I dont think crime rates relate to whether an area is dem or rep. It is more complicated than that.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:03 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
The highest crime rates are in cities in Democrat states.
Detroit, Chicago, Washington DC.
I dont think crime rates relate to whether an area is dem or rep. It is more complicated than that.
Sure, Detroit, Chicago, etc. has high crime too but ... blue states consistently win over red states.

Flak Magazine: Thursday's Weekly Shredder Vol. 40, 06.09.05

Las Vegas has seen a huge jump in it's crime rate since that was published. It's not all that complicated to understand why.

Lots of people are moving to these places which puts a bigger strain on law enforcement with no accompanying tax base to fight crime.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:59 AM

463 posts, read 1,292,585 times
We left 13 years ago. Mostly because we both hated our jobs at the time and to try something different in another state.
Since then we have tried 4 other states. I have to say that I would recommend not leaving CA if you can help it. I truly believe it's the greatest state in the USA.
ps....we are finally moving back to CA in Feb. 09.....Yeah !!!!!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 AM

Per the FBI the 2007 stats(the most recent) the 10 highest crime rate cities are, in order:
Detroit
Baltimore
St.Louis
Newark
WashDC
Oakland
Philly
Atlanta
Buffalo, NY
Cleveland

All of those cities are controlled by the Dem party.
7 of those states are Controlled by Dems

Your link twists the statistics and the stats are old.
I am providing facts without any spin, spin them as you wish.

Personally, I'd like to see stats that differentiate between violent and nonviolent crime.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM

154 posts, read 910,311 times
Back to the original thread, WHY ARE YOU LEAVING CA...
I was born and raised in Northern CA. Moved a few times, and lived in 3 other states for several years. Every state has their pros and cons. It depends on what kind of life you want to live and what's important to you and your family. We are moving out of CA in a few months because even though my husband and I both work full time at good jobs, cost of living is a constant struggle. We also don't like how crowded and "keeping up with the Jones's" the Sacramento Foothills have become in the last 10 years. It's much different now than it used to be. Everywhere we go takes forever because we have to sit in traffic for so long. It's no longer enjoyable to live here, and our main goal is to be able to make sure our children can grow up with a good education and safe environment. So we are moving to the Midwest. The cons there of course is cold weather, no beach, and dealing with some hicks, but all in all, it will allow us to have a higher standard of living, we'll be around my husbands family, and we'll be able to have property and a nice house, for literally 1/3 the price of what it would be in CA. I am looking forward to a slower paced life, where I can possibly work part-time and spend more time with my kids than I do now. This rat race life was fun when I was young, but now that kids are involved, I guess my priorities have drastically shifted. I want to "live" life, not just survive it. Good luck to everyone who is moving anytime in the near future! Life is a journey, not a destination!

Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 12,628 times
Born and raised in California, but we're moving to Nevada next week ~ too expensive here, especially personal income taxes. We're small business owners and will benefit greatly by moving out of this state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California