Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 PM

87 posts, read 364,788 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I grew up in Minneapolis, and now live in NYC. But I cannot afford it. I need to find another very liberal, funky place in the states that is tolerant, where I can find a woman who likes a sensitive guy, and where I can rent a studio or 1br for less than $800 a month. Or to make it even harder, where I can live without a car. Maybe a motorcycle.

Big bonus if there are some ad agencies or marketing firms nearby as I'm an ad writer. Though I'd like to make a career change into the healing arts.

Does this even exist in California? My sister who has lived there says no. One friend recommended Sacramento, but my sister said it was very conservative and I would hate it.

I even found Minneapolis conservative.

I don't know how I'm going to survive outside of NYC or SF, neither of which I can afford.

I'm considering Louisville KY which I've heard is very funky.

Please advise.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 01:41 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,725,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubcap_halo View Post
Does this even exist in California? My sister who has lived there says no.
Your sister is right. And paying less than $800 for an apartment won't get you much. Try double that for anything decent.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:50 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Dude, Boulder Co. Nuff said.

Check it out.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
You won't find what you are looking for in California. There is nothing cheap here.

Boulder CO is great, but as expensive as CA.

Ann Arbor MI?
Yellow Springs OH?
Ithaca, NY?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:38 PM

5 posts, read 21,497 times
If I were you, I would try looking around where notable universities are (mainly the UCs or the CSUs). Cities containing such schools tend to be more liberal, but you are going to get wakos on both sides no matter where you go. Also since there would be a large population of students, you might be able to find relatively cheaper housing (keyword relatively), but also be realistic about it. For instance, areas around UCLA or UCSD is definitely going to cost more than...say...UC Merced or UC Davis. It would probably be easier to get around without a car as lots of businesses would cater to college students, but you really need to actually take a look for yourself to decide what is acceptable. What is acceptable walking distance for me, might not be for you...or look at a map at the very least.

I think you shouldn't dismiss Sacramento so quickly. People there may be a bit on the conservative side in CA, but I don't think you'd actually hate it there. People in CA typically are very tolerant so I really don't think it'll be an issue in my opinion. Davis is actually located about 20 minutes to the west by car. You'd have no problems getting around without a vehicle there as long as you've a bike. There is a huge bike culture there. I actually graduated this June from UC Davis so I know too well what it's like there. You should be able to find studios (or "no bedroom apartments" as us students would call them) for around 800 dollars/month, but the last time I was looking for an apartment in Davis was 2.5 years ago so prices may have changed. There are some surrounding cities like Vacaville and Dixon which might also fit what you are looking for, but I can't really say for sure.

If "funky" is also really a necessity you can try looking around Berzerkely...I mean Berkeley . Definitely liberal also haha. They are about 1.5 hours to the west of Davis by car, pretty close to the coast. I can't speak for the housing prices though.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Asheville, NC would fit the bill.

Dawn

Old 09-08-2008, 03:39 PM

305 posts, read 1,729,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
For instance, areas around UCLA or UCSD is definitely going to cost more than...say...UC Merced or UC Davis.
Davis is probably cheaper than that section of LA, but it should not be considered cheap by any means; I think the student-friendly apartment complexes charge more just because they think your parents are going to pay for it and are willing to pay more. It's getting hard to find a 1bdr under $1000, and 2bdrs are usually $1300 and up. Again, much cheaper than certain parts of LA, but compared to other parts of the country, not as affordable.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:47 PM

419 posts, read 1,450,174 times
There are some places in So Cal that have artsy districts, but they aren't as well known. One example is North Hollywood (link to the A.D. website), which is relatively affordable by local standards. You might look for rooms/apts for rent in Topanga, which is very bohemian, Venice (more pricey but plenty of multi-tenant housing), and potentially Pasadena, which again has lots of multi-tenant housing. The more common artsy areas in Cal (Laguna, WeHo, SanFran, Santa Cruz) are all extremely pricey.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,783,698 times
I think Arcata or Eureka would be a great fit for you, as long as you are ok with a smaller town. Arcata is a college town on the north coast, that is very liberal and artsy. It has a great downtown, but keep in mind it is a small town.

If you are definitely looking for a big city midtown Sacramento could be possibility. But I think you are looking in the wrong state. If you want a cheaper more liberal city go with Portland or Seattle.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:49 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubcap_halo View Post
where I can rent a studio or 1br for less than $800 a month.

In California?! hahahaha!
I live in a boring suburb and I pay over $800 and it's a DEAL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California