Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:18 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
CESpeed, what size is your tinfoil hat? I can see the opposing viewpoints in this, but so often your posts seem to be ruled by paranoia. I think you need to relax and see that the world is not out to harm you or your family.
I don't believe by any stretch of the imagination that the world is out to get me or my family. If I thought that, I wouldn't be moving to Arkansas. At least there I can parent my child rather than some clinician who doesn't know her and views her a just another file.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Ah you're right, banning gay rights is a liberal measure because everyone that voted for obama is liberal.
I never stated that everyone voting for Obama is a liberal or everyone who voted for McCain is a conservative. I just trying to convey that both democrats and republicans both voted yes on Prop 8. This was a bipartisan vote.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:00 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I never stated that everyone voting for Obama is a liberal or everyone who voted for McCain is a conservative. I just trying to convey that both democrats and republicans both voted yes on Prop 8. This was a bipartisan vote.
No it wasn't. A huge majority of Republicans voted Yes, a minority of Democrats (although we don't know the margins) voted No. Just because some Democrats voted Yes doesn't mean that a majority of them did. So it is a partisan issue.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
No it wasn't. A huge majority of Republicans voted Yes, a minority of Democrats (although we don't know the margins) voted No. Just because some Democrats voted Yes doesn't mean that a majority of them did. So it is a partisan issue.
Do you have any figures to show the breakdowns of the vote?

Old 11-09-2008, 04:42 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I'd like numbers on the % of the case gizmo presented (parental molestation/abuse) vs the case you are presenting, I think that is a pretty fair question to ask since I believe you mentioned earlier in the thread that gizmo's case is the minority.
Yes, I agree that is a very fair question... CES, you say that laws like this shouldn't be made to protect a small minority (abusive families and foster kids, i.e.), but then whine that it should protect the small minority of kids whose older boyfriends might use this. How is that logical? Sounds to me like you have some selfish views, which you also displayed on the Prop 8 thread - so apparently you only care about things that affect YOU. As for your argument about older men, that seems pretty far-fetched... as I mentioned earlier, my high school boyfriend was much older, and this kind of law would have had ZERO impact on our relationship. I did what I wanted regardless, and had enough brains to use protection and not be coerced into anything. He is actually a very sweet guy despite that situation, and 15+ years later, we are still very good friends.

Anyway, I think you'll be happier in Arkansas... and we all know you were planning to move there long before the election.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Do you have any figures to show the breakdowns of the vote?
No and neither do you. The vote was very, very close. Only a difference of 400,000 or so votes. So how does that mean that a majority of Democrats voted for it? It makes no sense that a majority of Democrats voted for it if the vote was that close. It was a partisan issue, but there are some conservative Democrats. African Americans are a main Democratic constituency and they voted yes, why? Because they're socially conservative. Still, it WAS a partisan issue.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:51 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
I never said or implied that notifying parents would have an impact on a teen's feelings but we both know that teens run on emotion rather than logic. Granted there aren't a large number of older men who take advantage of girls but they do exist and they count on laws like "no parental notification or consent" to hide their crime. I guarantee I can come with a list much longer of logical valid reasons why a parent would need to know if their child was planning to have a major medical procedure that have nothing to do with keeping teens from having abortions vs. the list of reason why parent shouldn't know thier teen is having a major medical procedure.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
No and neither do you. The vote was very, very close. Only a difference of 400,000 or so votes. So how does that mean that a majority of Democrats voted for it? It makes no sense that a majority of Democrats voted for it if the vote was that close. It was a partisan issue, but there are some conservative Democrats. African Americans are a main Democratic constituency and they voted yes, why? Because they're socially conservative. Still, it WAS a partisan issue.
Until I see some hard figures, I'm going to assume that it was a bipartisan vote.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Until I see some hard figures, I'm going to assume that it was a bipartisan vote.
Well your assumption is ridiculous. It's basically about party platforms. The Republican platform says no gay marriage, the Democratic platform at least leaves room for something like gay marriage. It would be virtually impossible for the vote to be that close if a majority of Republicans AND a majority of Democrats voted yes. Use your head, yeah?

Old 11-09-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Well your assumption is ridiculous. It's basically about party platforms. The Republican platform says no gay marriage, the Democratic platform at least leaves room for something like gay marriage. It would be virtually impossible for the vote to be that close if a majority of Republicans AND a majority of Democrats voted yes. Use your head, yeah?
Not all republicans are against gay marriage and not all democrats are for gay marriage. Party platforms does not prove that this vote was a partisan one. I will concede your assertion that it was a partisan vote when I see actual figures that show the percentage in terms of party affilitations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California