Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times

Advertisements

I would like to compare Oakhurst/Madera Co. to Mariposa/Mariposa Co. Both are beautiful locations and gateway communities to Yosemite. Oakhurst has many of the convenient retail stores and restaurants found in most cities and suburbs. To get to any of the stores a person needs to drive to the shopping centers or businesses located along Hwy 41. Oakhurst property seems to be more densely populated. Oakhurst is closer to Fresno than Mariposa but only by about 15 minutes. Another outstanding feature about Oakhurst is its close proximity to Bass Lake. Bass Lake is beautiful for all but the summer months when it's overrun by boaters, jet skiers, and water skiers. The noise factor and traffic is less than relaxing. Oakhurst is a wonderful community and is very convenient for shopping.

Mariposa Co. is less than 15 minutes away from Oakhurst by way of Hwy. 49. Mariposa Co. is also a gateway community to Yosemite. The town of Mariposa has been very successful in retaining and promoting its historical integrity. Unlike Oakhurst, Mariposa is a walkable community that truly offers visitors a 49er gold rush town experience. As for restaurants, what Mariposa lacks in quantity, it makes up for in quality. Shopping is limited but adequate for basic staple items. Merced and the big box stores are 45 minutes away on Hwy 140. Unlike the drive to Fresno on Hwy 41, the drive to Merced is very relaxing. Mariposa also has several water features in close proximity to town. Lake McClure and the Merced River are outstanding all season water venues. The Merced River is designated as wild and scenic which protects it from future development. In the summer, unlike Bass Lake, the Merced River is a peaceful and relaxing place to swim,camp, or picnic.

Oakhurst and Mariposa both have their advantages and disadvantages. A person may want to visit both destinations to determine which place they like best. Personally I haven't been able to decide. I enjoy both locations equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM

347 posts, read 314,943 times
I do know the commute to and from Oakhurst from Fresno isn't all that wonderful. And there have been many accidents on 41, and bicyclists struck, for instance.

I've not been down 49 to Merced personally.

I like both places as well, having been to Mariposa and Oakhurst on quite a few occasions.

My Dad, who handled insurance claims for The Curry Company, when they had the Yosemite concessions, and knows Mariposa and Oakhurst very well also likes Mariposa a bit better as a walkable downtown, and tourist attraction. I called him and asked, hehe. He handled insurance claims in the Central Valley for 30 years and has been places I have not heard of yet.

Good post, Ecco.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
That would be one hell of a trick, as the Antarctic is a land continent.
Seriously though,some Navigator you'd make Nully. Remind me not to cross the Pacific with you, might end up in the Bering Sea crab fishing or something. then get chased out of Russian waters. Watch out for the ice, gets a bit thick up there.

Antarctic Ocean - definition of Antarctic Ocean by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Mariposa is about 30 minutes from Oakhurst, and as a result Fresno (via 49 south and 41) is about 90 minutes. I made that trip a lot the two years I lived in Fresno (and my folks were still in Mariposa).

Old 05-19-2013, 11:09 AM

Is it a better drive if you go to Merced and up to Yosemite though? Safer than 41 through Fresno and up?

Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,873 times
Beau,

Your right as to the distance from the town of Mariposa to Fresno. Where I live I'm half way between the town of Mariposa and Oakhurst. The Mariposa county line is about 15 minutes or less from Oakhurst which would make Fresno 15 minutes further. I was thinking of my drive time when going to Fresno.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,304 times
Well, this sucked!
I write about Ahwahnee, & Oakhurst, but it got deleted, as it said my time is out!!!

Where does it say that would happen!! grrrr

Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM

5 posts, read 12,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I would like to compare Oakhurst/Madera Co. to Mariposa/Mariposa Co. Both are beautiful locations and gateway communities to Yosemite. Oakhurst has many of the convenient retail stores and restaurants found in most cities and suburbs. To get to any of the stores a person needs to drive to the shopping centers or businesses located along Hwy 41. Oakhurst property seems to be more densely populated. Oakhurst is closer to Fresno than Mariposa but only by about 15 minutes. Another outstanding feature about Oakhurst is its close proximity to Bass Lake. Bass Lake is beautiful for all but the summer months when it's overrun by boaters, jet skiers, and water skiers. The noise factor and traffic is less than relaxing. Oakhurst is a wonderful community and is very convenient for shopping.

Mariposa Co. is less than 15 minutes away from Oakhurst by way of Hwy. 49. Mariposa Co. is also a gateway community to Yosemite. The town of Mariposa has been very successful in retaining and promoting its historical integrity. Unlike Oakhurst, Mariposa is a walkable community that truly offers visitors a 49er gold rush town experience. As for restaurants, what Mariposa lacks in quantity, it makes up for in quality. Shopping is limited but adequate for basic staple items. Merced and the big box stores are 45 minutes away on Hwy 140. Unlike the drive to Fresno on Hwy 41, the drive to Merced is very relaxing. Mariposa also has several water features in close proximity to town. Lake McClure and the Merced River are outstanding all season water venues. The Merced River is designated as wild and scenic which protects it from future development. In the summer, unlike Bass Lake, the Merced River is a peaceful and relaxing place to swim,camp, or picnic.

Oakhurst and Mariposa both have their advantages and disadvantages. A person may want to visit both destinations to determine which place they like best. Personally I haven't been able to decide. I enjoy both locations equally.
That is great information eccotec. Thanks for the insight.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:20 PM

5 posts, read 12,427 times
Would anyone know if there is a community of small-type family farmers in Mariposa and/or Oakhurst?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 3,075 times
R there scorpions that get into home in coarsegold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California