Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 PM

961 posts, read 2,567,023 times

Advertisements

The gangs really are a problem. It is getting out of hand.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
There is so much more to life then "great" weather. Some people actually enjoy weather that changes, rather than feeling like they live in the Groundhog day movie. Some people actually like to have snow in the winter, crisp autumns, warm summers, and cool springs. Not the same thing EVERY SINGLE DAY. People that like snow and cold climates aren't crazy. There are far worse things to deal with than cold weather, like being house poor and surrounded by concrete and illegals.
sure there's more to life than great weather, but many people have no interest in snow or weather that changes. some people also have family here and enjoy the are that they grew up in. count me as one of those types.

and not everyone here is house poor either. some of us are actually benefitting from the deflationary economy and get to put a little more away each month in the hope that some day we'll be able to afford a small slice of paradise. i have a feeling that the media might be exaggerating ( you don't say) the current economic situation for most americans. i'd be willing to put on money on the fact that there are plenty of people in CA just like me.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:57 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im definitely not leaving. In fact I've just purchased another house here.
Hell, if I lived in Tiburon, I wouldn't leave either. That's one of my favorite places on this earth.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:14 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjRey View Post
Exacty..I'm so sick and tired of paying for all these prisoners in our jails. Lets not BS here. The system is not working. Cali got gangs up the a** in some cities. The gangs end up building even more power in the prisons in our state. And with these liberal a** laws, half these dudes are getting off, and going right back to the hood to create more problems and havoc. Man.. Salinas, Stockton, Fresno, Oakland,Compton, East LA, South Central..and many more..We have a lot of hoods. Somethings gotta give. I dont wanna see these kids growing up with no direction, then turning to the streets. I been there,done that. The s*** out here just seems like were going backwards in this state nowadays.. Real talk.
In Fresno the city and the PD has decided to try to break the gangs down to size.

So far they are making progress.

In 2008 there were only 40 homicides in Fresno, (population 485,0000) that is a lower homicide rate than in Omaha Nebraska (which is about the same size). Fresno had 52 homicides in 2007.

To compare, Fresno had 87 homicides in 1993 when the city only had 380,000 people.

A gang sweep in December arrested 700 people, over 300 were on probation or parole and were violating the terms of release. The DA plans to prosecute nearly all.

Meantime, the city of Fresno has started a number of programs to help gang members looking to get out.

One Fresno company that is trying to cut down the gang life in Fresno is Electronic Recyclers. They have a second chance program for released felons, stay clean and work hard and you get a chance to start over in life. The owner of the company worked with Father Boyle in LA with Homeboy Tortillas. So he is aware of what he is attempting to do.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Quote:
There is so much more to life then "great" weather. Some people actually enjoy weather that changes, rather than feeling like they live in the Groundhog day movie. Some people actually like to have snow in the winter, crisp autumns, warm summers, and cool springs. Not the same thing EVERY SINGLE DAY. People that like snow and cold climates aren't crazy. There are far worse things to deal with than cold weather, like being house poor and surrounded by concrete and illegals.
I think it's great that you enjoy a change of seasons and snow and cold weather. Some of us don't. I say, live and let live. We all can't agree on everything, and that's a beautiful thing. However, not everyone who lives in CA is house poor or has a bad life or is getting a bad deal. There are a lot of us who are happy to be here. We've chosen to be here. I wish you all the happiness you seek, as I am sure you would wish the same for those of us who have chosen to live here and raise our families here.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:11 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,192,020 times
I absolutely do wish you the same Twinkle Toes . That's the beauty of this forum...getting to speak our mind...regardless of who it offends!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:18 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,924 times
Quote:
I absolutely do wish you the same Twinkle Toes . That's the beauty of this forum...getting to speak our mind...regardless of who it offends!
I laugh at this post because I am sure I do my fair share of offending others

Old 01-16-2009, 11:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
I offend all the time - but ya gotta love me!

Old 01-17-2009, 03:16 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
To each their own seriously--in my opinion I have seen California go from being my favorite place I could have never imagined leaving,to being a place I'm glad to escape and return to Colorado from...I still enjoy some things about the state, but those things are becoming quickly fewer and fewer...Native Californian's should be p____d
by what has happened to their home...For those of you still defending the quality of life in California even after all the current BS---I guess nothing will convince you--a higher standard of living surrounds your outskirts....I remember when...but California's lost it's Mojo Baby...
I'm a third generation native and you are absolutely right, what's become of the state I grew up in is a disastor. The places I grew up are either deteriorating or vastly too expensive and my last home, in the IE, had changed drastically not for the better in the 20 years I lived there. There are too many people, to much traffic and too much rudeness and violence. Maybe those who only know it this way see it differently, but I remember when the reputation was accurate and do not see anything left of it anymore.

If you live there and love it I'm glad for you. If you have heard this wonderful picture of what cali is remember that its a much different state than back when that came to be the image. For some what it is is okay. For some of us who remember different its lost the charm.

Its all in what you knew, want and evpect.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 AM

253 posts, read 1,055,987 times
The thing is can people AFFORD to get out of the state to settle elsewhere? The real estate market is crap so people are losing market value for their housing or they can't sell their houses at all. They certainly need the equity to move elsewhere for another investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California