Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,881 times

Advertisements

I love all these posts. I'm trying to recall where I lived in 1968-69 in LA. First across the street from Beverly Hills High School in a vintage apt. Spaulding Ave? I also lived in a lovely apt. that was Spanish style in a neighborhood that was at that time mid-town. It's not a senior moment. I just plain old can't remember that far back. I wish I knew the name of the neighborhood; the street may, only may, have been Cloverdale Ave. Any help?
One more thing. . .does anyone remember a nightspot called The Factory or The Candy Store disco? Thanks!!!!

Last edited by christine lindley; 01-17-2013 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: add something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 PM

2,846 posts, read 4,519,900 times
Dialing for Dollars on KTVU with Pat McCormick, who eventually became the stations weatherman

Creature Features on KTVU with Bob Wilkins, then John Stanley

Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM

880 posts, read 1,415,394 times
A few places we went to or competed at:

Riverside Raceway
Fontana Drag Strip
San Fernando Raceway
Lions
Orange County Raceway
Irwindale
Saugas
Ascot

Old 05-30-2013, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if there was a different restaurant at Sepulveda and Sherman Way. Particularly back in the "olden" days when the economy was better there were more restaurants then than now. (I think this is correct, I haven't counted them.) Another place I remember fondly was Hai Wei Chinese take out on Sepulveda south of Victory (west side a few hundred feet from Victory). Get it? Hai Wei = highway. Or at least I always thought it was a pun. My father used to get take out from there every Friday night. It was just a kitchen, no walk in, benches in front if you wanted to eat outside. Their food was really good, the first Chinese food I ever ate. Mmmmmmmm!

Actually colors had been invented by the time of dinosaurs because dinosaurs were colored, some of them quite brightly and garishly. TV hadn't been invented yet so anything on TV is fake.
Yeah, I googled Hei Wei Kitchen wondering if anyone remembered the place. I used to eat there often and loved it. It was just up the street from Gorgeous George's bar.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard64 View Post
A few places we went to or competed at:

Riverside Raceway
Fontana Drag Strip
San Fernando Raceway
Lions
Orange County Raceway
Irwindale
Saugas
Ascot
Used to go to sprint and midget races here quite often as a little kid. Got plenty of mud showers in the stands.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:00 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,412 times
For all those who've bemoaned the loss of FM 94.7 KMET to "The Wave," FM 100.3 KSWD "The Sound" is hosting a Mighty Met Weekend from Friday, Nov. 1 to Sunday, Nov. 3.: 100.3 The Sound | Southern California's Classic Rock Station

Looks like they have a Whoo-Ya Cam to live stream the broadcast.

The following description is taken from this site: KSWD Featuring Mighty Met Weekend | AllAccess.com

"BONNEVILLE's Classic Rock KSWD (100.3 THE SOUND)/LOS ANGELES will be featuring a Mighty Met Weekend next weekend, NOVEMBER 1st thru 3rd, featuring many of the old KMET/LOS ANGELES jocks from years past.

The former KMET morning team of GONZER & ACE will kick it off at 3p on FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1st, then many former KMET DJs will rock all weekend right up until the return of DR. DEMENTO at 6p on SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3rd.

Besides JEFF GONZER, ACE YOUNG and DR. DEMENTO, the weekend will also feature former KMET staffers like JACK SNYDER, PARAQUAT KELLEY, BILLY JUGGS, FRAZIER SMITH, DAVID PERRY and KSWD part-timer CYNTHIA FOX.

Also scheduled to take to the airwaves for the Mighty Met Weekend is So Cal radio icon JIM LADD, on loan from SIRIUS/XM Satellite Radio."

According to KSWD's Wikipedia entry (KWSD (FM) - Wikipedia), it appears that they've done this before.

"On Friday, July 10, 2009, The Sound held a "Finally a KMET Friday" to honor past LA rock radio station KMET. The day featured many of the original DJs from the station and much of the original music, promos and sound clips from the station. The day concluded with a three-hour Bruce Springsteen live KMET concert from 1978."

Does anyone know how KWSD was able to pull this off? Maybe they own the rights to KMET?

Old 11-01-2013, 04:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
For all those who've bemoaned the loss of FM 94.7 KMET to "The Wave," FM 100.3 KSWD "The Sound" is hosting a Mighty Met Weekend from Friday, Nov. 1 to Sunday, Nov. 3.: 100.3 The Sound | Southern California's Classic Rock Station
Need to add "The Mighty Metal Hour" to that to truly complete the lineup.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post

Looks like they have a Whoo-Ya Cam to live stream the broadcast.

The following description is taken from this site: KSWD Featuring Mighty Met Weekend | AllAccess.com

"BONNEVILLE's Classic Rock KSWD (100.3 THE SOUND)/LOS ANGELES will be featuring a Mighty Met Weekend next weekend, NOVEMBER 1st thru 3rd, featuring many of the old KMET/LOS ANGELES jocks from years past.

The former KMET morning team of GONZER & ACE will kick it off at 3p on FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1st, then many former KMET DJs will rock all weekend right up until the return of DR. DEMENTO at 6p on SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3rd.

Besides JEFF GONZER, ACE YOUNG and DR. DEMENTO, the weekend will also feature former KMET staffers like JACK SNYDER, PARAQUAT KELLEY, BILLY JUGGS, FRAZIER SMITH, DAVID PERRY and KSWD part-timer CYNTHIA FOX.

Also scheduled to take to the airwaves for the Mighty Met Weekend is So Cal radio icon JIM LADD, on loan from SIRIUS/XM Satellite Radio."

According to KSWD's Wikipedia entry (KWSD (FM) - Wikipedia), it appears that they've done this before.

"On Friday, July 10, 2009, The Sound held a "Finally a KMET Friday" to honor past LA rock radio station KMET. The day featured many of the original DJs from the station and much of the original music, promos and sound clips from the station. The day concluded with a three-hour Bruce Springsteen live KMET concert from 1978."

Does anyone know how KWSD was able to pull this off? Maybe they own the rights to KMET?
That is a true redux of what I was hearing on KMET during the early 80s. Like turning the clock back 30+ years. WHOO-YA!!! Too Hip, Gotta Go ...

Old 11-09-2013, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
I grew up in Sepulveda (now North Hills) during the 1960's. We lived just south of Mae West's ranch, not far from Busch Gardens and the brewery. It seemed every father in the neighborhood worked in the space or aviation industry at the time. We later moved to Chicago in 1968, which was a good thing, because my mother worked as a nurse at the Sepulveda (I refuse to call it North Hills) V.A. Hospital that collapsed in the 1971 earthquake and killed 47 people.

During the summer we went to Dave's Day Camp, which later became Camp Granada...probably because of the song and the fact it was based in Granada Hills. Does anyone remember or attend the camp? We had a blast, and they took us all over the LA area on trips in yellow school buses.

Some of the things I remember from my childhood (sorry if some have already been mentioned):

Sonic booms or light earth tremors rattling the dishes...seemed like every day.

Busch Gardens - we managed to sneak in and watch them construct the monorail.

Minnie Pearl Chicken restaurant - across Roscoe from the brewery.

Next to that on Roscoe was Galpin Ford and The Horseless Carriage restaurant - we got to dine in the restaurant while waiting for my mother's brand spanking new, $2400 Candy Apple red 1964 Mustang to be delivered...how cool is that?

South of Roscoe next to the 405 freeway was GM Fisher Body Works on the east side and Carnation Milk company on the west side.

Someone mentioned the Keebler bakery on Roscoe and Woodley in Van Nuys...I remember it as the Sunshine Bakery. I may be wrong about the name, but either way those cookies smelled so delicious driving by.

I remember the Helms delivery truck, but some outfit also had a mobile photography studio that would roll up to your house and take studio pictures. I still have some of those photos.

T.G.&Y. anyone? Archie comic books and 5 cent candy bars.

Marineland - I remember sticking a dime into a machine that would blow mold you a plastic dolphin or whale as a souvenir.

20th Century Fox Studios tour - got to see them filming a "Lost In Space" episode...I sure remember that robot.

Olvera Street - seemed so exotic then.

La Brea Tar Pits

Hansen Dam. It had a nice beach and a wonderful park north of it. The picnic area had huge brick bar-b-que grills...not like the scrawny little metal ones you're lucky to find today. They also had speed boat races we watched at the dam.

Sheriff John reading your name on TV on your birthday.

It all seems like a million years ago and just yesterday at the same time, but boy, we sure had fun!!

- Jon

Old 11-09-2013, 07:46 PM

249 posts, read 392,566 times
What about KFAT in Gilroy? I loved " mooseturd pie" !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California