Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 PM

12 posts, read 48,792 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will probably be moving to patterson this summer and would love some updated info. from those that live there, or know the city pretty well. We have two small children so I'm very interested in how the schools are. I dont care about travel, I know how traffic is on the 5 and how far patterson is from the bay, sac, etc. I really just want to know about the neighborhoods and the schools. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 AM

3 posts, read 21,377 times
Default Patterson is great!

Patterson is a great town. Buying here is a steal. Schools are nice and the people seem low key. Feel free to contact me if you need more info on Patterson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW50 View Post
My husband and I will probably be moving to patterson this summer and would love some updated info. from those that live there, or know the city pretty well. We have two small children so I'm very interested in how the schools are. I dont care about travel, I know how traffic is on the 5 and how far patterson is from the bay, sac, etc. I really just want to know about the neighborhoods and the schools. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 50,348 times
Patterson is a beat town! Don't buy or move here. We moved there 3 years ago and regretted the year we lived there. We rented a nice house and did not realize that most of the homes in the area were abandoned or rented out by the room and / or garage. (Yes, people were living in the garages!!!) We had people knocking on our door asking us for money or asking our guests if they could suck gas out of their gas tanks. I swear that I am not making this up!!! There are gangs! The weather was decent but we were locked on our house and afraid to answer our door. We were so worried that we installed a satellite alarm system so that no one could cut the phone lines and break in. We even asked our landlord to let us out of our lease early but of course they knew that they would have a hard time finding anyone to rent the house or who would take as good of care of their house as we had. We tried one of the private schools in Patterson and it was the worst school our children have ever attended. Don't waste your money. We moved them into Apricot Valley and were so happy with the teachers we were assigned. Mrs. Salinas is the best!!!!!!!!!

But if you can help it at all, DON'T MOVE THERE!!!

Do yourself a favor and move to Modesto, just pick a newer area or Sherwood.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 18,987 times
If you do move there you can always get a Alarm System from my friend with an ADT dealer 888-369-0260 ask for Nick.. Best of luck

Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 AM

3 posts, read 11,356 times
Patterson is very nice. The low incomers and renters have pretty much moved out and back to Oakland, Richmond, SF, and San Jose section 8 housing projects due to slum lords foreclosing on there properties so the town is back to its charm. Visit Patterson and talk to the folks at resturants and at farmers markets. Talk to the Sheriff and follow up on the Patterson Irrigator on city news etc. You will not read about gangs and violent crime. Look at the crime stats. Apricot Valley school is nice with an API score of over 800. Buy a home in Heartland Ranch or Walker Ranch to go to Apricot Valley. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,692 times
Default Laidback lifestyle in Patterson

It is June 2013 today. We moved from Castro Valley to Patterson 4.5 years ago and have no regrets.
Most folks here are friendly, low key, culturally diverse and family oriented. I have seen families move here so they can return back to the traditional role of mom staying at home with children while Dad commutes to work. There are many retirees moving here from various areas. Affordable nice homes in Patterson has made this possible. You see children innocently biking or playing in the streets, and people of all ages hiking around. In 2007 and 2008, many newly built homes were abandoned into foreclosure due to the recession. Therefore, theft was common. Since we moved in 2009, we saw the greatly diminished vacant homes filled with new occupants. Prices of homes have been going up, Walmart has moved in and Amazon.com is almost fully built bringing in more jobs. Those who did not buy earlier are now regretting it and those who purchased regretted that they did not purchase more homes. This little town is turning around to be a desireable pleasant suburban residential development. There is no traffic here, lots of sun, breezy summers with dry heat, fresh fruit and vegetable abound, scrumptuous authentic mexican food is plenty, then there is the beautiful golf course in Diablo Grande, pleasant drives amongst fruit and nut orchards in the back country, to mention a few of what we enjoy. Since it is on I-5, one can easily hop on the freeway to go to Tracy or the Bay area for theater, shopping mall, or since it is also on Highway 33, one can easily go to Modesto or Turlock with hardly any traffic while enroute.
Traffic is almost unknown to me daily, so when I head back to the Bay area, I could not believe how my heart beats faster along the freeway. This was the life I was accustomed to each day for many long years.That is when I realized that the laidback lifestyle has rubbed off on me very well. I will enjoy the tranquil setting, the mountains and the rivers, the fruits and vegetables that grow so well in our backyard while I am here in Patterson. Life does not stay in a standstill. As more folks discover this place, this place will certainly grow. For now I will treasure the freindly folks, the easy chats I can have with almost anyone without feeling the need to be on guard just like in the big cities.

Last edited by Laidbacklife; 06-13-2013 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-13-2013, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,692 times
When a crime is committed, it becomes the talk of the town. That is when you know that crime is not as frequent here as it is in the big cities. Additionally, since this is a small town, it is hard for one who is into drug dealing or committing any illegal act to keep a low profile. They can be so visible. So as I hear and see it, those who wish to commit illegal act will find Patterson not a good place to hide. They tend to go elsewhere.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
And don't forget. Amazon Distribution Center, too.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:03 PM

211 posts, read 333,586 times
Quote:
In 1974 I was shot at for being a dreaded/despised Gringo and. even worse, for being a lowly USA citizen.
doubt that.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Howdy,

Back in 1989, etc we enjoyed camping in our 1978 American Clipper C motorhome along the Delta/Mendota & CA Aqueduct canal, close to Patterson & Santa Nella. We often camped/fished from Tracy to Firebaugh. We caught, many times released, Striped Bass, & catfish (Channel Cat,etc). We have many Happy memories from those days...

Some of the fish we filleted & deepfried......Yum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California