Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The biggest problem is the difference between "benefits" and "entitlements." The former are provided when the budget permits. The latter must be provided regardless. Over the course of several decades, self-serving politicians have pandered to spoecial interest groups by turning benefits into entitlements and the end result has been economic decay; especially as those same politicians lack the strength of will to reverse any of the giveaways. They're only interested in winning their next election or the next higher office. The "good of the people" is no longer a prime consideration; nor is the good of the country.

Having said all that, I wish to thank all of you who will continue to prop up Social Security. I am now a recipient and my wife will join that status next year. I dare say, however, I will not likely live long enough to draw out as much as I have put into the system over the course of 45 working years. Feel free to equitably disburse my overage!
The problem is, during the early 20th century, when the welfare state really got started in this country, only poor and uneducated people voted "bread and circuses." Now, even some upper middle class people vote that way. My grandparents would be sick today, if they witnessed the mentality of upper middle class people who were begging for entitlements. The welfare mentality has spread like a virus, further and further up the economic ladder. Oh, and at the upper rungs, there is a different type of entitlement mentality among those who are not true capitalists but are instead more like Euro Fabians who happen to like being rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
What does this have to do with being born severely "limited" mentally or physically? Why do you believe that they don't deserve to have some reasonable support or assistance?

What on earth does SSI supplemental income have to do with retirement planning?
Those families that can pitch in and help support those family members who are disabled, should step up to the plate now. When you are out of money, you are out of money and all the finger pointing and whining will not create more money. Turn to charity and church. I worked for two facilities that took care of severely mentally disabled and physically impared people who had family that could care for them at home but shoved them onto the state taxpayers instead. I have also run in to far too many "disabled" people that worked on the side for cash, doing labor that they should not have been able to do. Time to cherry pick the disablitiy and bounce the fakers to the curb.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
I have no problem agreeing with you here, but California was only paying $233 per month as their share of the social security supplement, the federal part is unchanged.

This reduction brings the monthly amount down from $233 to $156 per month, a reduction of 33%. Still pretty disgusting to me!
Supplemental Security Income (SSI), is purely a federal benefit. The state only handles eligibility issues and bills the feds. State Supplemental Payments (SSP), the $233 a month, are purely a state benefit. It's not the state's "share" because it's not required by the feds. It's been the state's generosity funded by the tax payers.

As of October 2008 there were over 1.26 million SSP recipients. I assume there are more now because there are more people out of work and because the number grew 1.5 percent in the preceeding year.

However, using the 1.26 millionh as a base, the reduction in this voluntary benefit will save the state $97 million each year, and that's probably low.

It may not sound like a lot but I believe it was Ben Franklin who said, "If you save a little bit and do it often, soon it will be a lot."

I encourage anyone who feels strongly about this issue to dig into their own pockets, "adopt" an SSP recipient, or several, and make up the difference for them from their earnings.

As for me, being on a somewhat "fixed" income now, I'll pass. "Charity begins at home..." as Thomas Fuller, a 17th century English churchman, so wisely observed. With seven adult children and nine grandchildren between us there are plenty of charitable possibilities and needs just in our family.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
I have no problem agreeing with you here, but California was only paying $233 per month as their share of the social security supplement, the federal part is unchanged.

This reduction brings the monthly amount down from $233 to $156 per month, a reduction of 33%. Still pretty disgusting to me!
I realize this is a terrible situation for you and I doubt anyone if argueing that, but on the other hand, so many are trying to explain, there is only so much money to go around: who do you think should be paying so your benefits will not be cut? How would you suggest the government go after those who do take advantage of the system, which are huge number I will add? You say the federal part is unchanged, the federal government isn't in or near bankruptcy yet. But keep going and they will be, then you may get even less. You are lucky (though I am not sure that is the right word) to get any help, like mentioned, years ago, there was no welfare, no SSI, no government assistance, people who were unable to work had to depend of help from thier families, their church or anyone else that could help them. I am so glad we have come so far.

Nita

Old 06-30-2009, 05:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,739 times
No one should be critical of a old person getting SSI. But what are the guildlines for those who are in this country by choice and not born here? How did they get here on SSI? They did not and that is the problem. So where is their sponsers and why are they not asked to be responsible for those who they sponsered? I don't think any of us could pull this off in any other country other than this one which wants to take care of the world and can't even take care of those born here first. If you sponser someone to come to this country you should be responsbile for them if they can't take care of themselves. Too many or coming over here and bringing over their aged relatives and getting them on SSI.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 3,739 times
It is as if getting disabled is a choice. I can't beleive some of your responses..don't you get it? Some of us do not have a choice but to live here in California and live on less than 900.$$$$ a month and we have no one who can lift us out of this problem. I am Seventy, disabled and unable to work. What is your first clue? Why are we feeding the world and not taking care of those born here? Instead we act like the bleeding hearts for those from other countries. When a country does not take care of its own first and thinks it can keep handing out money to others we become where we are today? Broke and taking from the poor. Where are the sponsers for those who had to be sponsered to come into this country? If they are not disabled and came over on their childrens shirt tails then send them to the children.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes View Post
It is as if getting disabled is a choice. I can't beleive some of your responses..don't you get it? Some of us do not have a choice but to live here in California and live on less than 900.$$$$ a month and we have no one who can lift us out of this problem. I am Seventy, disabled and unable to work. What is your first clue? Why are we feeding the world and not taking care of those born here? Instead we act like the bleeding hearts for those from other countries. When a country does not take care of its own first and thinks it can keep handing out money to others we become where we are today? Broke and taking from the poor. Where are the sponsers for those who had to be sponsered to come into this country? If they are not disabled and came over on their childrens shirt tails then send them to the children.
Most unfortunately it's almost always the legitimately and most needy who are the first to face cuts in programs and income. While there are lots of advocates for them, their voices seem to fall on deaf ears in Sacramento. Unfortunately, this country as a whole does not do a good job of caring of its veterans or its elderly. Even more unfortunately, nuclear families taking in and taking care of their elderly relatives are a fast dwindling resource. The Waltons are few and far between!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoes View Post
you are missing the point, the last response had nothing to do with those who are disabled, it was addressed at those who are here illegally or those who come to America, bring their parents etc and collect Social Security, not those who are disabled.

I will add only one more thing, it is sad when people have not prepared for retirement, disabled or not and have to try and survive on social Security..It was never meant to be our only sourse of income when we reaching our later years in life. TO many people did not prepare for retirement, that is one reason you see so many still working part time or in some cases, full time. I am one of those.

Nita

Old 06-30-2009, 07:45 PM

242 posts, read 788,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you are missing the point, the last response had nothing to do with those who are disabled, it was addressed at those who are here illegally or those who come to America, bring their parents etc and collect Social Security, not those who are disabled.

I will add only one more thing, it is sad when people have not prepared for retirement, disabled or not and have to try and survive on social Security..It was never meant to be our only sourse of income when we reaching our later years in life. TO many people did not prepare for retirement, that is one reason you see so many still working part time or in some cases, full time. I am one of those.

Nita
And also some people may have tried to save for retirement but with things being so costly now a days, it is simply not enough is what I am told by some older part-timers at my old job. My grandparents tried to save up for college for me but unfortunately college is so expensive now, it just wasnt enough.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcj View Post
And also some people may have tried to save for retirement but with things being so costly now a days, it is simply not enough is what I am told by some older part-timers at my old job. My grandparents tried to save up for college for me but unfortunately college is so expensive now, it just wasnt enough.
I wish we had tried harder, but we are managing. I will add though, anyone can save for retirement if they set their mind to it: If all you do is put a couple of bucks a week away and start when you get your first job. Did we always do this? NO, my husbands entire family did and had no problems. None of them even had a company retirement...It can be done..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California