Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,482,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
These cities are more affordable than others, but for a reason. The weather is not great, and neither is the air quality. For the "California experience" that most seem to want, you really have to be near the coast, which is quite expensive. What is it about those 3 cities that you like, or are you just willing to settle for them?
Well, in comparison to Elkhart Indiana, the unemployment capital of the U.S., pretty much any area of CA is an improvement in my life. Not to mention I hate winter and we have winter from late October to mid May. The "HOT" that many speak of is welcome with open arms. I love the heat, i hate these long cold midwest winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Ocean or Mountains? Cold? Warm? Wet? Dry? Snow? Rain? Clean air? High altitude?
Liberal? Art? Music? People? Gay? Straight? Want peace and quiet? Nature? Nightlife? Sports? Mountain biking? Surfing? Skiing? Academic area? Lotta people? Small town? Big city? Medium size city? Combination of urban, suburban and nature. etc., etc.
Are you drawn to Southern CA? Northern?
CA is huge and diverse.
Don't let people discourage you from the move to California.
Statistics don't mean much if you're following your heart/inner compass which, to me, is the way to go.
I'd avoid the central valley unless you need to be there.
Even much of the Sierra foothills communities have really bad air until you get much higher up in altitude.
No snow! Moderate rain ok (not Portland style though). Air-don't care. Warm-Yes! Dry- Yes! Liberal-Sure. Art-Yep. Music-Yes! People-Sure. Gay-Dont care. Straight-Yes, I like girls...alot! Peace and quiet- no gun shots and i'm ok. Nature-YES YES YES! Nightlife-Sure. Sports-Nah. Mountain Biking-Yes! Surf- I wanna try. Skiing-Nope. Academic-N/A. Medium size city would be nice. Drawn to Southern California for sure I love the sun and warm.
Thanks, oh trust me I have an equal amount of "why California?" and "California! yeah!!!" so I can handle the naysay no problem. I know CA is where I want to be at this point in my life. Thanks for all your input:"-)

Old 05-20-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
I wouldn't live in Fresno if you paid me $250,000 per year, I swear lol. Horrible city...far from everything, scratch that off your list. You are naming areas that are completely opposite. It's like saying, I'm considering living in Dublin, Venice, or maybe French Riviera. You have to be more specific besides somewhere smaller and nicer than LA, that basically leaves 99% of cities in California open.
Trust me I know where your coming from, I do in fact sound vast. This Summer will be a good time for me to explore many area of CA to find the perfect town/city/area for me

Old 05-20-2009, 09:59 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,058,305 times
The San Diego area might be good too. Someone mentioned Oceanside earlier, and I'll second that.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:37 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,385,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Trust me I know where your coming from, I do in fact sound vast. This Summer will be a good time for me to explore many area of CA to find the perfect town/city/area for me
I'd also recommend San Diego, spend some time exploring the different suburbs/parts of San Diego. It's my favorite area in SoCal.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,193,724 times
I'm going to agree with the above.....San Diego is pretty much the best area in SoCal. If you can afford it...just stick to that area....

Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,732,606 times
Quote:
No snow! Moderate rain ok (not Portland style though). Air-don't care. Warm-Yes! Dry- Yes! Liberal-Sure. Art-Yep. Music-Yes! People-Sure. Gay-Dont care. Straight-Yes, I like girls...alot! Peace and quiet- no gun shots and i'm ok. Nature-YES YES YES! Nightlife-Sure. Sports-Nah. Mountain Biking-Yes! Surf- I wanna try. Skiing-Nope. Academic-N/A. Medium size city would be nice. Drawn to Southern California for sure I love the sun and warm.
Thanks, oh trust me I have an equal amount of "why California?" and "California! yeah!!!" so I can handle the naysay no problem. I know CA is where I want to be at this point in my life. Thanks for all your input:"-)
If you're open to the Central coast and not stuck on Southern CA then consider Santa Cruz county ... Aptos, Soquel, Capitola, Santa Cruz,(maybe parts of Watsonville).
It's expensive here but it meets all of your criteria. It's warm and sunny and beautiful from April/May through October with fog rolling in and out hugging the coast but with plenty of sun on the beaches too.
The winters bring the rain but that's good.
And there are many long stretches of beautiful sunny days in the winter between rainy stretches.
It's lush here with a beautiful combination of mountains, redwoods and ocean.
Santa Cruz is a small "city" but in 5 minutes you can be in pure nature.
San Francisco less than 2 hours to the north and Monterey / Carmel less than an hour to the south.
Check it out.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,204,032 times
Quote:
Well, in comparison to Elkhart Indiana, the unemployment capital of the U.S., pretty much any area of CA is an improvement in my life. Not to mention I hate winter and we have winter from late October to mid May. The "HOT" that many speak of is welcome with open arms. I love the heat, i hate these long cold midwest winters.
If you can afford it, try so cal. If you can't afford it, you may do ok in the Central Valley (Fresno/Sacramento). Winter in Fresno is foggy. I don't miss that at all. Summer is HOT, and I mean HOT. 90's and 100's every day. But it is a dry heat... They had temps in the 90's in April this year (unusual) and I have experienced 100 in October.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
If you can afford it, try so cal. If you can't afford it, you may do ok in the Central Valley (Fresno/Sacramento). Winter in Fresno is foggy. I don't miss that at all. Summer is HOT, and I mean HOT. 90's and 100's every day. But it is a dry heat... They had temps in the 90's in April this year (unusual) and I have experienced 100 in October.
Hey 100+ degrees is A-OK with me. I'll take it. If there is even 1 or 2 days in Dec, Jan, Feb, March that I can sit outside or go for a walk...I'll take it. I am really open to many different areas of CA as anywhere there is a major improvement over here. Our Indiana summers consist of June-early Sept with super high humidity and tons of bugs to ruin even our good days here. So really, I am VERY flexible as you can see
PS- That's exactly why I am willing to settle for Fresno or the other "undesirable" areas of California, it's still an improvement to what I am used to.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:48 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,562,302 times
Quote:
Elkhart County, IN does NOT have the country's highest unemployment rate, only compared to its size. The highest unemployment rate would be in rural West Texas and North Dakota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California