Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:29 PM

4 posts, read 16,633 times

Advertisements

I'm a city boy from Chicago but I'm currently trapped in Greenville, South Carolina. Ideally I want to move to L.A. to go to school (Cal State LA or UCLA) but it's too expensive as an out-of-state resident so I was going to move to a cheaper part of Cali (ie. Fresno or Bakersfield), and live for atleast a yr that way I can qualify for in-state-residency and move to L.A. later. I'm 20 yrs old and dont want to be bored out of my mind for the year so I was wondering if you guys could tell me which city between Bakersfield or Fresno would be better for me (ie. jobs, cheaper cost of living, better nightlife, more things to do, places to go)....and my mind is also open to other inexpensive California cities. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,423 times
Understand that anywhere in California will be tough for jobs right now, even low pay jobs. Most companies see large numbers of people applying for any job openings.

My thought also is that you will find the inland areas of California similiar to a city like Greenville in terms of size, activities, etc. So be warned if you already struggle with life there.

With that said my first suggestion is that you also consider Sacramento. It is probably the most "urban" feeling of the inland cities, although it is no where near Chicago in feel.

Now out of Fresno and Bakersfield I would probably suggest Fresno.

Both have pros and cons, but I feel Bakersfield is probably more of a family orientation than Fresno. So that might be even tougher on a single person.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM

Oh also be aware that both the Cal State Universities and the University of California campuses are cutting admissions over the next 2 years.

The CSU system is going to admit about 10% fewer students the next 2 years and the UC system will also see cuts.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 16,633 times
'Preciate it. And yeah, right after I posted this I looked and saw that posting about the Cal State budget cuts, thats horrible. I really wanted to go there for their kinesiology program but I don't want to move out there just to find out that I cant get into the school of my choice when I want to and be stuck.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuredocJ View Post
'Preciate it. And yeah, right after I posted this I looked and saw that posting about the Cal State budget cuts, thats horrible. I really wanted to go there for their kinesiology program but I don't want to move out there just to find out that I cant get into the school of my choice when I want to and be stuck.
Kinesiology can be a tough major to get into at some campuses any time, even before these cuts.

Fresno State has that major and it has been an impacted program for years (meaning they have more applicants than openings and use tougher admission standards).

Kinesiology programs are also in impacted status at Long Beach State, San Diego State, and Cal Poly SLO.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:49 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,509 times
There's a new college they opened in Modesto a couple years ago, Cal State Modesto? I would look into that if you must be in the central valley, at least it's not TOO far from the bay area since you're into night life. Sacramento would be more expensive.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:52 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
I don't want to be the one to discourage you, I think I do that too much sometimes, I forget what is was like to be young and have dreams, that being said, You are in for a huge cultural shock if you move to either Bakersfield or Fresno. Yes the job market is bad and yes, the school admin isn't too good, but if you know all this ahead of time, have several thousand $$s saved and still want to go to CA, I would go to Fresno. Don't ask me why, neither town is jumping..

Nita

Old 07-16-2009, 12:53 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,721,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
There's a new college they opened in Modesto a couple years ago, Cal State Modesto? I would look into that if you must be in the central valley, at least it's not TOO far from the bay area since you're into night life. Sacramento would be more expensive.
Aren't you thinking about UC Merced? UC Merced

Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,289,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Aren't you thinking about UC Merced? UC Merced
Yes thanks. Boy I was way off lol

Old 07-16-2009, 02:07 PM

UC Merced is a good school but most of the students at UC Merced find it even more slow-paced than Sacramento, Fresno, or Bakersfield.

The Merced campus sits several miles out of town and Merced is a small city that has not become a college town yet. So there is little even in town designed to appeal to students yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California