Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When will the California Economy turn around?
Already picking up 17 17.71%
6 months 1 1.04%
1 year 9 9.38%
1 1/2 years 5 5.21%
2 years 9 9.38%
more than 2 years 55 57.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnitureMan View Post
When does everyone think the California economy will get better? What will cause it to get better? Pent up demand? Resurgence in housing? The pendulum swings the other way?
Housing is a bad one, they need a moratorium on new houses. Otherwise the builders will be plowing up farmland to glut the market again. California needs jobs producing products. Closing the Nummi Plant in Newark was totally unecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM

266 posts, read 1,003,072 times
[quote=Charles;9899317]You mean, Californians should work for $0.50/hour?

Illegals make some things in California affordable to outsiders. Imagine if Dole paid $15-$45/hr to (unionized) Americans to pick oranges and strawberries. Think Homer in Iowa would buy them?

Nope. It's what the government can do for me; otherwise it's fired.

I believe some of the workers in China just work for room and board. So their hourly rate is zero! Kind of hard to ask a Californian to work for that?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 PM

25 posts, read 92,792 times
No, I don't think they just work for room & board. They get room & board, plus a small salary. That's where the newspapers don't correct compare the wages in China to the wages in the US. In the US, the wage may be $12/hr, but one has to pay for his own apartment. In China, the wage may be $2/hr, but that includes the company apartment. Adjusted, that would make the China wage $3.4/hr ($2 plus $250/mo divided 176 hrs/mo, assuming a simple apartment would cost $250/month rent). The cost of living is lower in China, so the rents are lower, thus the comparative advantage for labor intensive products. Unless we close the borders to trade, it would be hard to keep low tech manufacturing jobs in the US/California.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:38 AM

266 posts, read 1,003,072 times
[quote=FurnitureMan;9902843]No, I don't think they just work for room & board. They get room & board, plus a small salary.

Actually, I was referring to the "inmates", I mean citizens, in China that are basically slaves. There are some factories that are glorified prisons.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:12 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,383,389 times
I think it will start turning around in 2 years, but who knows how long it will take to fully recover...could be 5 or 10 years.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:17 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Universal healthcare would lead some companies back to the USA. It's the only thing that makes us noncompetitive with Europe and Canada.

If we had Universal heathcare, I'll bet a lot of "runaway" tv production would come back to the USA.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 AM

230 posts, read 599,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Universal healthcare would lead some companies back to the USA. It's the only thing that makes us noncompetitive with Europe and Canada.
Aside from the fact that we're noncompetitive with Europe and Canada only in an alternate reality, universal health care had better bring a lot of really huge companies over here, because the new taxes that will be imposed upon small-to-medium-sized businesses will force them to prune their payrolls to a bare minimum or shutter altogether. This would be shortly after the massive new, unfunded Medicaid mandates blow California-sized holes in the budgets of every state. The idea is to turn the economy around, not smash its kneecaps.

To be fair, the president may or may not have addressed this in his presser last night; we're still waiting for the speech to come back from the cryptographers.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:46 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
The economy of California will never really improve. Demographics is the key. How can the State of California get better when a large amount of the educated middle class is leaving and is being replaced by millions of illegal aliens from south of the border who have a 8th grade education?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:50 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnitureMan View Post
I started to watch my spending sometime last year. Have all of you cut back on your spending, or at least look long and hard before buying something? Have you refused to pay full retail for an item, waiting to buy on sale, coupons, or ask for a discount? Since the consumer is 66% of the US economy, it will be hard for us to pull out of the recession if everyone is cutting back.
Wouldn't it be better for America if you shopped at small businesses rather than saving yourself a nickel by buying foriegn goods or patronizing those big boxes that drive their suppliers to China and Indonesia, like WALMART?

Old 07-23-2009, 08:58 AM

25 posts, read 92,792 times
True, but small businesses still buy goods from China. They just buy the goods from wholesalers. You are helping the local retailer (and their sales jobs), but really do nothing to help local manufacturers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California