Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 44,845 times

Advertisements

We drove through town recently and really liked the area. It had a lot of charm and small town feel (I guess because it's a small town!)

So could someone recommend an area close to town where we could buy some acreage? Something under $100k? What about Mountain Meadows?

We DO NOT want to be in a development or gated area like the several communities we've read about near by.

What are the most desirable areas near town? Is downtown a safe place? What if we rent in downtown while looking?

Thanks so much for anyone who can give some local advice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 12,153 times
Well, Tehachapi is still a pretty small town, but it's growing. Mountain Meadows is a nice area, but I don't know if you'll be able to find a house with acreage for under $100k, unless you look into bank repos. Some of the areas in Golden Hills and Oak Knolls are nice, but again, if you're looking for a house and property, under $100k is slim pickins.
Downtown is an ok area. It's a safe area as far as violence, but I know a few people who've had their cars broken into. Also, keep in mind the proximity to the train tracks. The trains can be quite loud. There are few older homes in the downtown area around the $100k range, but they generally need a little work.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 PM

4 posts, read 12,244 times
There is a possibility I may be moving from Tennessee later this winter when my husband is transferred to Edwards with his job. After much research it appears that Tehachapi may be the place we want to live, although it won't be green like home. We don't want to live in a cookie cutter house in a gated community and are actively involved in community events, politics and volunteerism. We are hoping to find something for less than $300,000. Would this be possible in Tehachapi? Thanks for any help. I've rarely traveled west of the Mississippi, much less lived there.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
timandsu,

I don't live in Tehachapi, but I think it's very possible to find a decent house under $300,000. I visited the Chamber of Commerce and came upon this webpage. I hope it gives you a head start.

Greater Tehachapi Chamber of Commerce - Relocate > Real Estate/Housing

Old 12-11-2009, 06:56 AM

4 posts, read 12,244 times
Thank you for your help.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Mountain Meadows is a great place to live, but most of the people out there are on independent power systems, meaning that there is no power run out there** unless you do it yourself. If I were to move back home, Mtn Meadows would be where I would build.

**There was no power out there last time I was home... Maybe there is now!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 PM

122 posts, read 365,638 times
Tehachapi is scenic and great. I lived there of 7 years. I lived in Stallion springs which is an area 7 miles or more depending on how far in you life. Golden Hills is more of an area where the houses are close together, nice, some undesirable areas. Bear Valley is a gated area just outside town and is nice too. Some of the more pricy home are there. They down side is they have gates at the front that they close when it snow due to the hill being slippery. They will close that until the snow is cleared and if you work in Edwards and come home it can be a surprise. Tehachapi has good and bad areas, just ask a realtor. If you have no kids, no need to worry about schools, they are good.

I bought a house for 100k in 1999 in stallion. The market has gone down in price a lot and right now you could get a lot for the money for certain. A lot of residents of Tehachapi work for the Tehachapi prison. Some Edwards employees as well. Lots of Edwards people live in Rosamond, not much there.

Tehachapi has 4 seasons and it snows. The seasons are great and in the winter the roads are very tricky but for the most part plowed. People are nice, family oriented and down home. After a while, you will know everyone there. Be ready to drive to Bakersfiled or Lancaster for Doctors and Dentists and major shopping. People shop there and just come home afterwards. THe commute can be a bit much if you don't like driving or have a gas guzzler. Most people there have at least one truck due to the snow and such.

Overall, I loved living there and a home for under 300k is findable for sure. There is not a whole lot to do there if you are coming from a larger town so you better be happy before you get there or, you will get very unsatisfied residing there!

There is also sand canyon area which is more in the sticks and not much trees, just sand and mobile homes, strange little area. Tehachapi's grass turns to yellow brush in the summer and fire risk is very high. You will love the wildlife and scenic area.

Downtown is safe and has a few nice stores there. They put in a home depot recently in town which was a big deal, there is also a K-mart there which is nice.

There are not many cookie cuter houses there, a few new developments.
It is funny you are moving from Tennessee, I am buying a house in Maryville Tenn. I just sold mine in Bakersfield. Bakersfield is not a fun place to live on the other hand.

There are plenty of good realtors there but just know what you want and remember the drive in the winter can be difficult if you are in Bear Valley or Stallion coming to "town" to get on the highway to Edwards. My neighbor did flight testing there and lived in Stallion.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM

11 posts, read 12,691 times
You better like cold weather! Six to seven months a year, it is cold and the snow isn't so bad but the black ice is. Black ice is treacherous. Not only on foot but in the car as well, it's treacherous. Now to the good about Tehachapi. The kids are polite. The grownups are friendly. You won't be a stranger for long. Now is a good time to buy in Tehachapi. My house was appraised for 280K two years ago and then this summer was down to 139K! So acreage +a house is a steal here now. I have four acres just on the outskirts of Tehachapi (5 minutes to the central part of town). We have many restaurants, not many are a part of a chain. We have a movie theatre and a playhouse. The area toward Bear Valley Springs and Stallion Springs called Cummings Valley is being developed as Vineyards with a few tasting rooms. The Sousa Vintners had a gold medal winning wine that was very, very good. We also have an outdoor roller rink and an indoor upscale billiard and lunch establishment. There is a campground up high in the pine trees that's neat and another campround around Brite lake (which is about 7 minutes from town). You can fish and hike and bike and watch condors float on windy currents there (at Brite Lake). Everything is less expensive here and we haven't found any mechanics or other service personnel who take advantage of others. We have been here five years. There are two bars and eleven churches. Not much crime and if you really need something specific you can always go down to Bakersfield (Costco or Michaels craft store or there is a coin store where mostly guys trade coins). Bakersfield has major league sports teams and cultural events. Lancaster has a great "B" baseball team. The only thing I fault Tehachapi with is the blasted cold weather and black ice. Good luck. More questions, reply!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Frequently View Post
Lancaster has a great "B" baseball team.
To be annoyingly precise, it's a California League high A level minor league team affiliated with the Astros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California