Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Wow someone from Newport declaring others as "low-class"....never would have guessed.

Relax, isn't Bristol Farms having a sale on high-class wine this weekend? Drive the Rover over and get glass.
I bet it's Newport Mesa, that little piece of Costa Mesa on the other side of the 55. Ooh, so close.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:14 AM

246 posts, read 422,059 times
Julia,

showing your true colors, who's the snob? Why would it matter, are those people over there beneath your station? Is there something wrong with Newport Mesa, though I don't live there, why would it even matter where I live? The issue is about a concept and you throw in a dodge about location. Hmmmmmmmm Rather puerile. The person who would typically have even made such a statement or noticed something like "ewww Newport Mesa" is a status chaser, don't worry, just like fake handbands, using Cali won't make you cool, no need to put down Costa Mesa in the process, ok?

Funny how those who call others snobs are usually the worst offenders.

Last edited by Calix; 08-31-2009 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM

166 posts, read 490,076 times
And on the day of its Statehood, God said, "California? WTF? Why didn't they name it Wonderland?" And he was not pleased with the forseen nickname of 'Cali,' either. So...Yay, he determined that MJ would live there, and it would be all good.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:39 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Well I don't care what you call it anymore. All it's good for is produce,
pistachio nuts and Rice-A-Roni.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,545,137 times
Being born and raised in the state, I guess I'd be pegged wrong then when using the term - along with all the kids I grew up with using that term. Since when did shortened nicknames become such a big deal? Why are some people so anal about this term? And since when should people care about what natives choose to nickname the place they live? Seriously.

Maybe we can get the WB to change the name of their popular show to "Orange County" so as to stop this ridiculous nicknaming. LOL! I'm not one to stay on top of all the slang that's used these days, but I'm not about to start demanding people stop using it, or make statements about what slang is not used anymore. Nicknames will come and go, and some will stick. Trying to dictate what people call California is pointless.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
Julia,

showing your true colors, who's the snob? Why would it matter, are those people over there beneath your station? Is there something wrong with Newport Mesa, though I don't live there, why would it even matter where I live? The issue is about a concept and you throw in a dodge about location. Hmmmmmmmm Rather puerile. The person who would typically have even made such a statement or noticed something like "ewww Newport Mesa" is a status chaser, don't worry, just like fake handbands, using Cali won't make you cool, no need to put down Costa Mesa in the process, ok?

Funny how those who call others snobs are usually the worst offenders.
Haha, right, I'm the snob. I'm the one telling people who say "Cali" that they are illiterate, low-class hicks. I'm the one saying that someone who doesn't know what a calyx is must be an uneducated philistine. Right. That's me all right, definitely.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:58 AM

273 posts, read 655,641 times
This topic reminds me of a situation here in Long Beach. We have districts such as Belmont Shore and Belmont Heights. There is Alamitos Heights and California Heights. Bixby Knolls, Bixby Terrace and Bixby Heights. Also Wrigley (named after the gum magnate), Los Altos, College Park and Park Estates.

It goes on and on. Well, my comments are about a district called Los Cerritos which contanis the historic Rancho Los Cerritos and Los Cerritos Elementary School, not to mention Los Cerritos Park.

There is also a private golf course and country club named Viginia Country Club within the district. Several years ago, a married couple that worked as a Realtor team started marketing their listed properties as being in the "Virginia Country Club district when they actaully were in Los Cerritos. There has never been such an area desingnated even though some of the Los Cerritos homes are on VCC fairways. Some are also adjacent to the Rancho, the school and the park.

The name stuck and now we have VCC Dry Cleaners and other businesses that are riding on the coattails of the elite private club. (Maximun no. of members is 405 and they each own 1/405th of the assets.)

I've always been a little irritated that the name stuck because it was only a marketing ploy. Interesting that the real estate couple have never been invited to join the club even though they could well afford it today.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:59 AM

273 posts, read 655,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
No burritos?

Seriously, have you eaten Mexican food in other states? Some good, some real bad. None like an L.A. taco stand.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM

58 posts, read 123,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calix View Post
This thread has caught fire because it is timely.
Before you hurt your arm patting yourself on the back, you might consider that maybe the thread "caught fire" because people generally react negatively to snobs. Your original post plus other subsequent ones in this thread are textbook examples of snobbery.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
You forgot sour dough bread and the best, and one of the very few good things to ever come out of San Francisco, Anchor Steam beer!

In 11 more days I won't care what its called either 'cause I'll no longer be living here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California