Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:06 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
ROFL That's a good one.
Well, instead of laughing perhaps Republicans might want to figure out why their party is shrinking.

The Fix - Gallup Poll: Republican Shrinkage Widespread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 03:18 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, instead of laughing perhaps Republicans might want to figure out why their party is shrinking.

The Fix - Gallup Poll: Republican Shrinkage Widespread
Because the state is turning into a welfare state where everyone expects the government to pay their way. You really think all those anchor babies and actor wannabes don't vote for the party that promises them free crap?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:51 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Because the state is turning into a welfare state where everyone expects the government to pay their way. You really think all those anchor babies and actor wannabes don't vote for the party that promises them free crap?
Your totally right, it couldnt possibly be that the GOPs rhetoric is driving people away.

I mean terms such as "anchor babies" really are quite endearing arent they?

Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Pro-lifers have ZERO chance in this state on anything bigger than the district level. You've got to pick your battles.
Yeah, as a moderate conservative I have to agree with you there. Although I prefer pro life over pro choice policies I don't see this flying in CA with the liberal majority. I look at the whole package including real world business exprience like Meg offers.

For me CA's problems trancend party lines. Flip flopping between democrat or republican won't necessarily do anything for the current state of affairs. So I will consider anyone offering some real substance and vision. Of course no politician is perfect. But good ol' boy Gerry Brown just seems like more of the same - a career politician and bureaucrat. I can't think of him offering any real change for the better.

Derek

Old 10-24-2009, 07:47 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,816,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Your totally right, it couldnt possibly be that the GOPs rhetoric is driving people away.

I mean terms such as "anchor babies" really are quite endearing arent they?
Yes, reality can be that way for some people.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
The three leading GOP candidates,Whitman,Campbell,and Poizner,are viewed as moderates by party rank and file.The conservative wing of the Republican Party will likely give only lukewarm support to the nominee.A moderate Republican may,however,appeal to independents and Reagan Democrats.The Democrats have swung so far to the left in recent years that Jerry Brown,perceived of as a far left loon during his earlier term as governor,is now thought of as a moderate by many voters.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:06 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
I am more partial to Tom Cambell myself. A Ph.d in economics who understands what it takes to create a more prosperous and free California and listens to the people. If anyone can beat Jerry Brown (renouned leftist) its him.

www.campbell.org

I am not a Californian but I do agree with your analysis about Tom Campbell. Good listeners have almost always obtained the gift of gab too but with a Ph.D. in Econ! He would definately be my choice over who? Meg Whitman! I wonder if most residents of Calif. feel the same? If not then those that believe Meg is their choice should take a gander over the fact that she does have tons of money but what has she accomplished? And don't say Ebay because jumped on board during its infancy...What has she shown she will do for the Californians? She is calling for a "new California". WHAT! Do Californians know we Floridians get kinda tired hearing that California is in money trouble?

Where I live the chads are still the talk at our voting booth locations. hahahaha

Old 10-24-2009, 09:46 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
I think both parties could learn from the more moderates who at least try to work with both sides of the aisle. If Obama could run for governor I would vote for him even though I am conservative. Unfortunately I don't think Jerry Brown is even close to what someone of the president's caliber could bring to the table.

And all the major polls so far show Jerry Brown leading by pretty significant margins. Wikipedia has a nice summary - California gubernatorial election, 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I know this is still a year out and much could change. But old political habits die hard here in the golden state. Even for candidates who want real change it is an uphill battle all the way. This is what Arnold has faced since day one.

We need a well thought out strategy to get back on our feet financially. Simple tax and spend will not cut it and just put us deeper into debt and the unemployment spiral.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-24-2009 at 09:54 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think both parties could learn from the more moderates who at least try to work with both sides of the aisle. If Obama could run for governor I would vote for him even though I am conservative. Unfortunately I don't think Jerry Brown is even close to what someone of the president's caliber could bring to the table.

And all the major polls so far show Jerry Brown leading by pretty significant margins. Wikipedia has a nice summary - California gubernatorial election, 2010 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

I know this is still a year out and much could change. But old political habits die hard here in the golden state. Even for candidates who want real change it is an uphill battle all the way. This is what Arnold has faced since day one.

We need a well thought out strategy to get back on our feet financially. Simple tax and spend will not cut it and just put us deeper into debt and the unemployment spiral.

Derek
Obama a moderate? Your kidding right?

Old 10-25-2009, 01:59 AM

226 posts, read 893,999 times
California can't be saved it's too far gone just move to another state where your vote matters. A majority of the nation consider themselves conservative and California is one of the most progressive states. I'm getting out as soon as possible. This state sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California