Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:24 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Most of the liberals of California went to Oregon/Washington.
You are only jesting,right?If only it were true.But then again,if it were,residents of other states would detest Californians even more than they do now.Much of the resentment toward Californians is caused by affluent liberals moving into less prosperous,more conservative areas of other states,bringing their insufferable leftist LA and Bay Area attitudes with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the comment has more to do with unemployment, high taxes, "do anything you want" mentality. I don't think the beauty of the state or the diverse culture is bothered. You live in one of the nicer parts of the state. to those of us who born and raised in CA for many years and have seen the charges, it isn't the same state. Of course nothing stays the same and that can be good as well as bad.

You also are not thinking correctly when you try and discribe the views of the conservatives. We are not oppossed to change and no, we do not view things from our heart only, actually it is pretty much the other way around. We just do not see things the same as liberals. I am a conservative but just slightly to the right of middle.
Nita
That's funny (almost hilarious) that you read his post as saying that conservatives do things from "the heart only" (if we were reading the same post, that's not what he said) and you are indeed accurate in saying that "we do not view things from our heart only, actually it pretty much the other way around."
BINGO! So true.
Sad ... but true.
This is not to say that there aren't many good hearted conservatives or that all "liberals" are open hearted and loving, etc.
But the party line of the conservatives is not, imo, informed by open heartedness ... not at all.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-01-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 10:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
That's funny (almost hilarious) that you read his post as saying that conservatives do things from "the heart only" (if we were reading the same post, that's not what he said) and you are indeed accurate in saying that "we do not view things from our heart only, actually it pretty much the other way around."
BINGO! So true.
Sad ... but true.
This is not to say that there aren't many good hearted conservatives or that all "liberals" are open hearted and loving, etc.
But the party line of the conservatives is not, imo, informed by open heartedness ... not at all.
ok, let me re-read it, maybe I didn't understand. You gotta realize I am an old lady.

Please don't take my last comment to seriously, PLEASE!!!

yep, I did totally mis-read, he said emotional desires, very different than from the heart I guess..

Old 11-01-2009, 12:21 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
It depends on what you mean by "open hearted". Liberals tend to fall for the trap of thinking that if it feels good, then it must be right. But feelings alone often lead people to make really bad decisions. Good decisions often don't feel good in the moment. The best decisions are usually ones where the heart and the head both come into play.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
I'm going to sneak this in here.
It's a link to a post i placed over on the politics / controversies forum ... an interview that took place in San Francisco recently with Micahel Moore.
For all you Michael Moore Lovers (and Haters) here ....
And yes, mysticaltiger .... i agree ... heart and head (for coming up with and implementing workable solutions) have to work together but as i see it, without an open heart, ie; love, compassion, care, courage, etc., etc., "leading the way", intellectual sharpness is pretty irrelevant / useless.
Open heart isn't about "feeling good" ... it does though include feeling for or with those that are suffering, ie; empathy.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:36 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,584 times
To the OP, I don't think anyone can really say they hate CA. There are many things to love about this place. But people are fed up with things and people that have ran it into the ground. I don't find too many people being very liberal in Southern CA to the extent they are in the bay area, so you might want to post the same question on the bay area thread. But when people from CA move to other places we are deemed and marked as being liberal for just being from this state.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:00 PM

559 posts, read 1,380,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Liberals have left California for decades also. Just see the "Don't Californicate My State" thread.
Upon re-reading my original post, I could have worded it differently to better express what I really wanted to know.

There is no question that people all over the political, social, economic spectra would want to leave California if they are dissatisfied with neutral issues such as air quality, traffic, real estate price, quality of education, desire for seasons, perceived safety, etc.

I realize that many of these ostensibly neutral issues can be spun in a political manner—left or right.

I have read the "Californication" thread as well as most of the "I'm leaving" threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturn View Post
People aren't leaving California because gay marriage was banned, or because of the regulation of whether you can use paper or plastic. People are leaving because the cost of living is still sky-high while employment and wages are still in the tank.
Although I generally agree with the above, I've often read posts complaining about nanny state-ification, citing things such as the push for banning plastic bags or proposals for regulating TV energy efficiency.

I do think that California is being hobbled by a progressive appetite on a conservative's diet. No other state has our situation of requiring a two-thirds majority to either pass a budget or to raise taxes.

Here's the absurdity of the converse situation: a red state where a budget is held hostage by a minority of liberals who have taken a pledge to block a budget unless services are increased and taxes are raised. I can't imagine that this would be acceptable.

I think even a few Republicans (Tom McClintock?) have stated that the two-thirds rule for the budget, at least, could go, although that is at least partially to avoid having to take the blame for our budget process.

Now, true waste in government must be zealously rooted out and tax payer money must be used as efficiently as possible. I recall that one of Schwarzenegger's original promises during the Davis recall election was that he could balance the budget by cutting out waste but he never found enough of it and we've had to undergo our annual budget conniptions.

Listening to a recent Tom Campbell-Steve Poizner debate (where was Meg Whitman?), some of Campbell's ideas concerning public employee salaries and pensions sounded reasonable and should certainly be considered for reducing the spending side.

Although I haven't done a tally, I'd be willing to bet a roll of NECCO wafers that most of those who want to leave/left are stating canonically conservative reasons for doing so. I'm wondering if there is a silent set of emigrants who are shipping out since their liberal ideals are not being met?

For instance, we still have a death penalty; we don't have a single payer health insurance system at the state level (similar to Massachusetts but with better cost controls); no living wage; environmental standards could be strengthened; reform or repeal of three strikes; Prop 8 passed, etc.

Why not have California as a liberal laboratory where leading edge ideas are put in practice to see if they actually work or fail? The current situation of partially/unfunded programs will certainly not succeed (completely).

In summary, are there folks who have left California since it wasn't liberal enough or because the liberal agenda is too hard to implement here?

Old 11-01-2009, 05:52 PM

302 posts, read 864,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
In summary, are there folks who have left California since it wasn't liberal enough or because the liberal agenda is too hard to implement here?
Oh gee I doubt that. It's a really interesting take you have and I respect the thought process that went into it but I doubt liberals are going to find a place of more relief to them than Cali.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
We are being painted into a corner here. Unions, Illegals and out of control spending! How much more can we CA tax payers endure? CA is being special interest grouped into he-ll.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,378 times
All this is pretty strange stuff. You folks say "California" when you mean, the people of California. California is a great place, great geography. The people of California may be one thing or another, but California is just a big chunk of land, and, incidentally, holds people of diverse political thought.

I hear these definitions of "liberals" and and I wonder what non existent species they are talking about.

Look, Liberal comes from the latin word "Liber" which means free. A liberal is a free person, open to diverse strains of thought and able to function without strange fixations on politico/religious ideas.

It is pretty tough to be a conservative without worrying about "what is happening to "whatever".

It is pretty easy to be a liberal if you get up in the morning and say "what ever it is, I can do it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California