Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 11:54 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I certainly don't want California to turn into Texas. The transportation comparison is crazy because I don't believe Texas has even a mile of subway. Do they have light rail?
Yes, Dallas has an extensive light rail system that has been growing rapidly since it's inception in the 1990's. DART currently contains 45 miles of track (3 miles of it is subway) and 35 stations. By 2013 we are scheduled to have 93 miles of light rail and 62 stations. By 2030 it should approach 140 miles of track. There is also existing commuter rail service between Dallas and Ft. Worth. More commuter rail service from distant counties is in the planning stages. None of this would be happening if people did not use the DART rail system. While many more people drive here than use public transportation, light rail is a necessary alternative when looking at the projected population growth of the DFW metro.

DART.org - DART Rail System Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 11:57 AM

259 posts, read 705,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I think its clear with the horrific 8 years this country and the world endured under Conservative and Bush control that no taxes/no benefits does not work. A Republican-run society, where divisiveness is encouraged and preferred, where the good ol boy network flourishes in unregulated bliss, where the poor and disadvantaged can go to hell, where racism is fashionable and a modern form of Jim Crow persists, where sovereign nations that pose no imminent threat are attacked unprovoked, where military is used to the tune of a trillion dollars in wasted, poorly run-ill devised plans to mettle where we don't belong, and so forth, is NOT the way to go.

The biggest problem that this country and this state has is trying to move forward while being dragged down by a Republican party that doesn't fit in modern times or in a progressive society. Republicans/Conservatives/Clueless/Klan/Neocons stink and haven't done a damn thing since Reagan was in office.
LOL. Dude, you drank so much of that left wingnut kool aid you're gonna have to stir up another batch.

Just as soon as Democrats took control of Congress back in 2006 they drove our economy straight off a cliff.

It's that simple dude. You may not be able to accept the truth, but that's not my problem.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:00 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster12 View Post
I lived in Texas and California. The Texas model leaves a lot to be desired. The Calfornia leaves a lot to be to desired. There should be another option besides these two, one a nanny state that is bankrupt and hates the middle class, and one a gunslinger who will leave the poor to die on the side of the road or possibly hang you at high noon for a crime.

They both suck IMHO.
I haven't lived in Texas but I tend to think you exaggerate just a wee bit with the comments there. We have our share of people living on the street in California. We love to wring our hands over it, but at the end of the day, they still live on the street.

I do agree with your sentiment, however, that in America we are always forced to choose between two unhealthy extremes. This drives me nuts!!

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 11-03-2009 at 12:22 PM..

Old 11-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
That's absolutely right and, to the extent that public transportation options are limited in some areas, that is the main reason - low demand.

Another point worth making is that personal safety is a major concern on many public transit systems. Yet another reason - and a significant one - to opt for your own car.
Well its not hard to figure out why the demand is low. When you spend 3x as much on freeways as buses or other mass transit and when said buses/mass transit runs infrequently and don't cover a city/metro area well, few people are going to use the system. It's not rocket science.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
What are you? Blaming a 9 month president for a snowball effect of our economic downfall that has been festering for years before Obama took office.
Perhaps people shouldn't. But the Bush haters did the same thing when the surplus turned into deficit shortly after he took office.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Forced into suburban living? lol... No, that's not true at all. Most people wanted to get out of the old cities and have a bigger house and a bigger yard.

Actually, that's a myth. GM did buy streetcar lines, but they did it so they could replace the streetcars with their buses. To say that GM and the oil companies conspired to create suburban sprawl and dependence on automobiles is just not true.

The Great GM Conspiracy Legend

Rail Transit Myths

Then go live in the city if that's what you prefer. There's options for everybody. No one's being forced to live in the suburbs.

I will tell you I have indeed been forced into suburban living for most of my life. And effectively forced into owning a car as well. That is just a fact. I personally have never wanted to live in a suburb, but usually quality urban living options at affordable prices were not an option for me until recently. That is the reality in most American cities.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Quote:
Automobile accidents are by no means random events.
Tell that to Nick Adenhart’s family or anyone else affected by someone else’s drunk driving, which by the way, public transit helps prevent by giving people an alternative to driving home after a night out drinking.

Quote:
So my point is that I am safer in my car, thank you. Others will make their own decision, based on their own particular circumstances.
Up to this point, I’ve been safe in my car as well and I’ve taken as many precautions as possible to stay safe. But for all I know, some idiot could crash into me tomorrow and I would have absolutely no control over that. And I can almost guarantee you that such incidents occur much more frequently in this country than whatever danger you perceive there is on mass transit.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Ah... neither party has the answer for the majority.

The Repubs want us all to be wage slaves to their businesses, the Dems want us all to be slaves to the state.

Where's the party that wants to ensure personal liberty and prosperity for all, with no underclass?

Oh wait, that doesn't exist, LOL! The idea of a country where 95% of the populace doesn't work for someone else died around the time of Henry Ford...
Thank you. You nailed it. We get to vote for one faction of the power elite or the other. Either way, the power elite wins.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,550 times
Quote:
Thank you. You nailed it. We get to vote for one faction of the power elite or the other. Either way, the power elite wins.
Just keep in mind that neither faction should affect your happiness one iota.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
So my point is that I am safer in my car, thank you. Others will make their own decision, based on their own particular circumstances.
CrownVic....it's an illusion. A powerful one. Most people believe they're safer driving their own cars, but they're not. It's the same as the illusion that people have when they think driving is safer than flying on a plane. Flying on a plane is infinitely safer. Yet because driving gives a powerful illusion of having more control than you really do, you'll think driving is safer.

It's just not true. Not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California