Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 07:03 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I live in Texas and we're seeing a whole lot of cars with California plates.

People have choices, and they don't have to stick around in a state that is going to tax them to death. The productive types will leave the states where productivity is punished and sloth is rewarded.
How can that be a statement base in reality when CALIFORNIA Has
MORE MILLIONAIRES AND BILLIONAIRES THAN TEXAS.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2009, 07:18 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,243,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
CA v TX is a stupid debate fought by stupid people. I don't know why people keep doing this.
You think it's bad here? Visit the Colorado forum.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
As of today - 12.4%.

Prosperity is just around the corner! /sarc

Old 01-22-2010, 12:28 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,371 times
employment lags in a recovering economy.

and

Many companies who are recovering have discovered that they don't need all the workers they once had.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:12 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
It's hitting the less affluent areas the hardest. This is really a working- and under-class recession. Thanks to George Bush and his "haves and have-mores".
Not really, at least in California the areas with the highest unemployment are those that were most dependent on the "housing economy" (i.e., mortgage, building, etc).

For example, Santa Barbara county is not affluent yet its unemployment rate is low. San Fransisco is much more affluent than Huntington Beach, yet SF has a higher unemployment rate.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
California is more productive than Texas.
Under what measure? But the other poster is obviously referring to the business environment. Texas is much more business friendly than California and it shows. Far more people are moving to Texas than leaving (its one of the top destinations in the country) where as people are leaving California.

People follow the businesses and the businesses are ditching California. That's what happens when you tax productivity to death while giving huge tax breaks to land/real estate speculators.

Quote:
I doubt Californians are migrating much to Texas, unless they're military. Seems to go the other way if this board is any indication. Moving to Texas would be like moving to hell.
You can doubt all you wish, but Texas is one of the top places people are moving to and that includes people from California. Moving to Texas would be like moving to hell? I always find it amusing how negative Californians think of Texas.

Regardless, California's economy is toast.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Moving to Texas would be like moving to hell? I always find it amusing how negative Californians think of Texas.
Not unique to Californians. Pretty much everyone outside of Texans, even Oklahomans feel the same way. Don't know what they're crowing about with an 8.3% unemployment rate. You want a job move to my neck of the woods (N. VA) where the rate is under 5% and almost negligible for those with a college degree. Virginia is a lot nicer place to live than Texas.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Not unique to Californians. Pretty much everyone outside of Texans, even Oklahomans feel the same way.
Right...because Oklahoma is just dramatically different than the Texas panhandle. Once you cross the border, its a different world!

I've only heard these sorts of statements from Californians and they are always extremely ridiculous. You know, like suggesting a state that is receiving massive in-migration is "hell" and some how disliked by "everyone outside of Texas".

Quote:
Don't know what they're crowing about with an 8.3% unemployment rate.
Okay, you don't know. The reality is that a low unemployment rate is not necessarily an indication of a good job market, if it was everyone would be moving to South Dakota. People move to where they find work and people are finding work in Texas.

Quote:
Virginia is a lot nicer place to live than Texas.
In your opinion, which apparently many people don't agree with.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I've only heard these sorts of statements from Californians and they are always extremely ridiculous. You know, like suggesting a state that is receiving massive in-migration is "hell" and some how disliked by "everyone outside of Texas"..
Take a trip over to the Colorado forum and ask what they think of Texans.

As to VA vs. TX, I doubt you'll find many folks outside of TX who would rather live in TX than VA. Take another trip over to the VA forums and see how many "this place sucks" threads you find, a theme repeated over and over on the TX forums.

I do suspect that even hell sees regular massive in-migration despite its outside reputation.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Take a trip over to the Colorado forum and ask what they think of Texans.
Ugh, this won't tell you a thing. People often come on these forums to complain and they are in no sense a reliable indicator of how people feel in a particular area. But there are naturally going to be people in Colorado that don't like Texas, and so on. There are many people in Colorado that don't like Colorado. Californians from my experience are are rather vocal against Texas to the point of absurdity, I've never experienced that with other people.

Regardless, Texas is growing a strong economy and California is collapsing. California could take a few notes from "hell".

Quote:
As to VA vs. TX, I doubt you'll find many folks outside of TX who would rather live in TX than VA.
Well you are free to believe whatever your rear end tells you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California