Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 04:19 PM

7 posts, read 27,261 times

Advertisements

Hi. We may be moving to Northern CA. I have some serious doubts due to CA politics and schools - at least all of the things the media reports. I don't want to move there and regret it.

One thing that concerns me is politically correct schools that teach garbage then have poor scores. :-(

Or am I being influenced by media and there is some good out there in CA?

Lemme know what you think if you live there especially!

Old 12-12-2009, 04:51 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,514,561 times
There are many great schools and places to live in California. The question is whether or not you can afford to live in any of them. Your experience here will come down to that.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:55 PM

7 posts, read 27,261 times
Thank you. We are looking into Redding due to job opportunity. I guess I need to research taxes and things like that. I admit I have not paid close attention to CA's politics.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 PM

77 posts, read 183,265 times
California across the boards has very high rents- on the low end 600 per person/room it seems state-wide, if not about 800+ on average. CA is #48 out of 50 in terms of public education now. Lots of school programs are getting cut in CA and price is going up. Have you seen the state's budget deficit?

Old 12-12-2009, 06:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,754,394 times
As mentioned... CA has top notch public schools and not so great public schools that are sometimes only a couple of miles apart...

Piedmont CA is a city that many move to just for the Public Schools... I'm sure there are other areas like this up North too.

Old 12-12-2009, 06:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,532,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briar View Post
Thank you. We are looking into Redding due to job opportunity. I guess I need to research taxes and things like that. I admit I have not paid close attention to CA's politics.
Politics I can speak to. I'm a retired CA state legislative and political analyst.

I don't know what your impression of CA politics is, but the Legislature is totally partisan, completely divided and divisive, self-perpetuating and impotent. Term limits means few seasoned pols and they're always paying more attention to picking their constituent's pockets and running to keep their seat or ascend to the next highest office than they are to governance. Family dynasties are the order of the day.

In terrms of their rare focus on real state issues, although the population of the state is somewhat in the center, politicians from Los Angeles and the Bay Area have most of the power and representation. They're ultra-liberal and so-called "progressive." They've never see a penny of the citizens' money they didn't want and couldn't spend. "Tax and spend" is their mantra. There are too few conservatives in the Legislature to make a difference except at state budget time, and most of them are ultra-right.

The end result is that that state is stagnant, has very high taxes, a fractured infrastructure, a $20+ billion dollar deficit and more laws, rules and regulations than are necessary or prudent.

Sorry, but that's how we (my wife is also a retired leg. analyst) see it. Hence our move to another state.

As always, just one man's opinion.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 AM

302 posts, read 865,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briar View Post
If you're moving to Redding, you're moving to a more conservative, mountanous, and spacious area of California. It's a world different than Los Angeles. I can't speak for the rent prices, but I'm sure to some extent the taxes will still come into play. You might rest a little easier knowing the politics in that region, however. If I had to stay in California, that's where I would go.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,528,705 times
Quote:
One thing that concerns me is politically correct schools that teach garbage then have poor scores.
There are no such schools anywhere, if you think there are, please document. Schools nationwide are subject to NCLB, that law defines what is taught.

You will love Redding. Merle Haggard, author of "Okie from Muskogee" will be a neighbor. Hank Williams Jr sung the praises of North California culture in his song, " A Country Boy Can Survive"

We're from North California and South Alabam and little towns all around this land
And we can skin a buck and run a trotline
And a country boy can survive country folks can survive
A country boy can survive country folks can survive

Although contrary to SS's inference, Redding, while close to mountains is in the central valley, flat, hot.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Dunsmuir is a cool town about 50 miles from there at a higher elevation that could be a good spot to settle.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,435,381 times
They made it illegal to burn a fire in one's fireplace / stove / etc (even if mitigated with pollution control) on Thanksgiving under the pretext of eh "Spare The Air Night" - even though an approaching cold front mixed out the inversion meaning no danger of poor air quality. Need I say more?

If they ban the Yule Log that will be a further indication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California