Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 AM

43 posts, read 114,808 times

Advertisements

All,

The last time I came to the forum, I found the information ot be VERY helpful. Both good and bad comments are welcomed, more importantly-are needed. I know its hard, but "opinions" and "personal" attacks on area sends mixed signals, so I ask that u please consider the thread b/4 posting.

I've been offered a really good job in Bakersfield, CA it's a great career opportunity. Having not been to the area, I've visited other areas in Calif. for conferences, meeting, seminars, etc., but not to work or live.

So, I need your help, please.

I've read many of these posts that suggest living on the NW side, but can u provide the names of the areas on the NW side?

For the past week, I have been working the phone and online about relocation service. The BIG companies that does nationwide relocation does not pick up in the area where I currently live or deliver in the Bakersfield area. I would have to drive anywhere from 1-3 hours to bring my items (1br) apt to them, and many of these company do not transport vehicles.

I've done the calculations of using a moving company for apt., car, labor, airline ticket, rental car, and it will cost around $5k; yes the new place of employment is willing to pay for relocation, but only $2500, which will be reimbursed AFTER I submit receipts.

Now, I'm thinking about just renting a truck, and do it myself, but am very leary of taking a long road trip, even if it will cost about $2500.

Can u provide me with any information or companies that does relocation to Bakersfield? Should I even think about driving?

Housing (condo, TH, apt.) info is needed, I'm not looking ot buy a home, I need to learn the area, b/4 I jump into the idea of homeowner.

I can handle the heat. I'm looking for safety, and advice.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 12:15 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,674 times
Congratulations!

I can't recommend a moving company, since I don't know any off the top of my head. But a google search for "Moving to Bakersfield" found a couple of companies that are based in Bakersfield. I would call the Convention Vistior Bureau or the city hall for some recommendations. Perhaps others can post their recommendations.

As for housing, you'll find that there is a good mixture of single homes and apartments in the Northwest. Although, I wouldn't completely disregard renting apartments in the southwest along Coffee Rd/Gosford and then areas towards west. There are really nice apartments like Edgewater (which is located next to the Cal State Bakersfield campus) and Cambridge Village Apartments which is further away from the campus, but closer to the Marketplace shopping center. Polo Villages is a good apartment in the Northwest, among other comparable apartments. Average rent can range anywhere from 800 to 1200, depending on how many bedrooms you need, etc.

I think what it boils down to is how well property management take care of their tenants. I hope this will get you started. Feel free to ask more questions.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:49 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKACarmen View Post
All,

The last time I came to the forum, I found the information ot be VERY helpful. Both good and bad comments are welcomed, more importantly-are needed. I know its hard, but "opinions" and "personal" attacks on area sends mixed signals, so I ask that u please consider the thread b/4 posting.

I've been offered a really good job in Bakersfield, CA it's a great career opportunity. Having not been to the area, I've visited other areas in Calif. for conferences, meeting, seminars, etc., but not to work or live.

So, I need your help, please.

I've read many of these posts that suggest living on the NW side, but can u provide the names of the areas on the NW side?

For the past week, I have been working the phone and online about relocation service. The BIG companies that does nationwide relocation does not pick up in the area where I currently live or deliver in the Bakersfield area. I would have to drive anywhere from 1-3 hours to bring my items (1br) apt to them, and many of these company do not transport vehicles.

I've done the calculations of using a moving company for apt., car, labor, airline ticket, rental car, and it will cost around $5k; yes the new place of employment is willing to pay for relocation, but only $2500, which will be reimbursed AFTER I submit receipts.

Now, I'm thinking about just renting a truck, and do it myself, but am very leary of taking a long road trip, even if it will cost about $2500.

Can u provide me with any information or companies that does relocation to Bakersfield? Should I even think about driving?

Housing (condo, TH, apt.) info is needed, I'm not looking ot buy a home, I need to learn the area, b/4 I jump into the idea of homeowner.

I can handle the heat. I'm looking for safety, and advice.

Thanks in advance!
If you can do the labor, you might try uhaul or ryder one way truck rental.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:21 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
If you do it yourself, DO NOT USE UHAUL! Use anything but them. Budget has decent trucks that won't break down.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:08 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,260,933 times
Thumbs down Don't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKACarmen View Post
Bakersfield Bound....
This will be the worst mistake of your life.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:29 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
You are more than welcome to share the forum your opinion and experience about Bakersfield since on more than one occassion, you have posted one line replies to those considering a move to the city.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:04 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
The Capital of The Bakersfield Sound. Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and many others after that.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:41 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Maybe it was the worst mistake of YOUR life, and if so you should act like a grown up and do something about that, to better your situation in life. But each person is different and what sucks for you might be heaven on Earth for them. I'd have thought that by the time you're old enough to work a keyboard, you'd have figured out this basic of life.

Best of luck on your move, AKACarmen! Hope everything works out for you! Be sure to post back up some time of your move and how every thing's going!

Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin
This from a guy who lives in downtown Sacramento.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:44 AM

43 posts, read 114,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
If you do it yourself, DO NOT USE UHAUL! Use anything but them. Budget has decent trucks that won't break down.
Snort thanks for that...

After reading ur recommendation, I took a visit to both UHaul and Budget, and you are right Budget trucks were newer and cleaner, and plus they offer a recent graduate discount in addition to the already 20% coupon.

Again, thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California