Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 12:06 PM

3 posts, read 14,626 times

Advertisements

I am a Canadian/American (though I feel much more American), and am dying to get away from the cold in Toronto. The info on this forum has been so helpful, but I'm still confused about where to move to in California. I've been thinking about Berkely, SF, SD, and OC, but am open-minded. I want to live in a place with cool, friendly people, where people enjoy life. Relatively safe. I love Latino culture, and I'm a musician and an ESL teacher, so a place that has a great arts scene would be ideal. I would love to know what native Californians recommend for a place to live. I'm open to any suggestions and advice! Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 12:31 PM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 469,828 times
You have East LA written all over you. Santa Ana, Van Nuys, Huntington Park.. any of those cities should suit you fine. But wait you said, open-minded, and that's the Bay Area's selling point(even though it may not be true). Try Berkeley or Oakland.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:43 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionablecowboy View Post
You have East LA written all over you. Santa Ana, Van Nuys, Huntington Park.. any of those cities should suit you fine.
Haha People say "I love Latino culture" from 3500 miles away until they live in one of the above cities.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 14,626 times
Thanks for the help. I DO love latino culture---i live in toronto, which is insanely multicultural, but it's also very very safe. Boring, but safe. In any case, I'll definitely check these places out! Am kinda freaked out by the constant, constant "way too expensive" stuff, but i just cannot deal with another miserable winter here, I wanna go to the West Coast!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:05 PM

142 posts, read 524,228 times
I would recommend Santa Maria, Calif. It's located on the Central Coast of California in Northern Santa Barbara County. Great place to raise a family, close to the ocean, and some of the most prestine beaches on the West Coast. Santa Maria is about an hours north of Santa Barbara which is one of the most beautiful cities in the country. SB is too expensive to live, but it's close enough to visit from Santa Maria. SB has an annual fiesta weekend the first week of August which draws thousands of tourist every year for the parade, and other activities such a mariachi bands playing throughout the city, and girls dancing shows in full Mexican attire. If you love the Latino culture, this is a must see event.

Being that Santa Maria's number one industry is agriculture, we have many immigrants working our local fields. We have areas in the city which cater to the Latino culture, i.e. shops, bakeries (pan dulce yum) Mexican grocery stores where one can buy carne asada as I do.

I was born and raised in Santa Maria, I think you might find it one of the least expensive places to live considering the close proximity to the beaches (Pismo Beach & Avila Beach)

I also forgot the weather here is pretty much 70's throughout the year.

Last edited by SoCalif; 06-04-2007 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-04-2007, 02:36 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeemarie View Post
I am a Canadian/American (though I feel much more American), and am dying to get away from the cold in Toronto. The info on this forum has been so helpful, but I'm still confused about where to move to in California. I've been thinking about Berkely, SF, SD, and OC, but am open-minded. I want to live in a place with cool, friendly people, where people enjoy life. Relatively safe. I love Latino culture, and I'm a musician and an ESL teacher, so a place that has a great arts scene would be ideal. I would love to know what native Californians recommend for a place to live. I'm open to any suggestions and advice! Please help!!
A lot of Canadians come to our beautiful Coachella Valley. I would recommend you check out Palm Springs, Palm Desert, Rancho Mirage, La Quinta and Indian Wells. You will always see license plates that say "Beautiful British Columbia" or "Saskatchewan" on them. I think you would feel at home here and you would find fellow Canadians to make friends with.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:15 PM

376 posts, read 1,506,052 times
I think Orange County has a lot to offer and has the art scene and certainly the latino flair covered. Plus up to date, modern places to hange out and make friends

Old 06-07-2007, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,808 times
If I were you, I'd consider a bit more northern California. It's a lot less populated. Santa Rosa is a very nice, moderately large town with an excellent location. As with most places, there is the usual bit of crime, but overall a pretty "safe" place to live. Lots of arts, large latino population and close to everything. Because there is a large Junior College in the middle of the town, there is a definate a lot of things happening, things to do or see. San Francisco is only about an hour away, the ocean is about the same. There are wineries close, college, and much more. I lived there for about 5 years and loved the place. I's where I met my wife so it has to be a good place! Check it out.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:41 PM

193 posts, read 1,403,099 times
Good luck AIMEEMAIRE! I wouldn't mind someone like you moving to my area. From your post you sound like an interesting person to know.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:51 AM

159 posts, read 810,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeemarie View Post
What about Santa Cruz? It's open minded and close to San Francisco and
Berkely? I don't think you'd like Santa Maria. It's more of a farming
area without much to do. It's too far from everything but it does
have some of the most beautiful uncrowded beaches... like Avila and
Pismo but they are about 45 minutes away... Santa Cruz is right on
the beach and has the University and ten minutes away is Cabrillo Junior College in Aptos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California