Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 7,206 times

Advertisements

I'm from North Dakota and want to move to sunny California haha. I'm 21 and would like to learn how to surf, be able to longboard, go to parks, volunteer at animal shelters and such. Wouldn't mind a little night life or be able to drive there. I'd like to live somewhere around Eureka maybe? No further south than Sacremento anyway and near the coast. If I have to live inland and drive a few hours that's ok I guess. I'd rather have the cheaper rent. I'm hoping to get something around $800 a month. I don't want to end up in a small town with nothing to do but I don't want a big city high crime. My boyfriend works at an Olive Garden so he can just transfer and I work with the mentally disabled so they can transfer me to a company that does the same services. Does this place exisit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Chico! Enjoy!

Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,726,610 times
Why do you not want to be further south than Sacramento?
You may want to consider Santa Cruz county or Monterey county (both on the Monterey Bay) or San Luis Obispo county (all are on the central coast).
It is expensive in S.C. county and you may have to pay a bit more rent than $800 a month but it fulfills all of your criteria.
It's neither a small town nor a big city.
Monterey county is expensive too and, though i don't know SLO county well at all, i'm fairly sure the rents are cheaper.
Eureka is not the sunny surf California that you may be dreaming of by the way.
And when you say that you don't mind being a few hours inland from the coast ... you may want to rethink that.
You probably don't want to be in the central valley for a number of reasons.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
In agreement with coyoteskye. Honestly for what you're looking for, Eureka is pretty much out of the question. That part of California is pretty much where the Pacific Northwest begins and Eureka is wetter than Seattle! Not much of a sunny surf type climate. If you are wanting to stay out of Southern California (which I can't say I blame you haha), then the Monterey/Santa Cruz area would be the best bet for everything you are looking for. I too am not very familiar with San Luis Obispo (not many people are) but I have been through that area a few times. I don't know, something seems odd about it to me. There's something missing but I can't put my finger on it.

What else do you want? If you want nice thick forest and trees then yes ca. down to Monterey is best. If that doesn't matter to you at all and sunny surf weather is your main driving force, I'd at least take Southern California into consideration despite my snide remark earlier.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
What else do you want? If you want nice thick forest and trees then yes ca. down to Monterey is best. If that doesn't matter to you at all and sunny surf weather is your main driving force, I'd at least take Southern California into consideration despite my snide remark earlier.
Thick forests and trees ... yes there are lots of redwoods and forest in S.C. county but that's not to suggest that the coast line is forested nor that one needs to live in the woods if in the county ... just clarifying that.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:12 AM

99 posts, read 380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahAHins View Post
I'm from North Dakota and want to move to sunny California haha. I'm 21 and would like to learn how to surf, be able to longboard, go to parks, volunteer at animal shelters and such. Wouldn't mind a little night life or be able to drive there. I'd like to live somewhere around Eureka maybe? No further south than Sacremento anyway and near the coast. If I have to live inland and drive a few hours that's ok I guess. I'd rather have the cheaper rent. I'm hoping to get something around $800 a month. I don't want to end up in a small town with nothing to do but I don't want a big city high crime. My boyfriend works at an Olive Garden so he can just transfer and I work with the mentally disabled so they can transfer me to a company that does the same services. Does this place exisit?
I don't think you have done your homework very well. Eureka is in the very very northern part of CA. You are not going to learn to surf there - water is much too cold. You say your boyfriend could "just transfer" but you have not looked to see if there is an Olive Garden in Eureka or the surrounding area. By the way, there is not one.

As far as Eureka is concerned it is not Sunny California. Their weather is much more like Oregon's weather - very wet and cold. Eureka is a small town but believe me there is not much to do there and it is not close to a larger town. It is about 3 hours to Redding and 4 hours to Santa Rosa.

You say you don't want to for further south than Sacramento and near the coast. Sacto is not near the coast. Small coastal town for surfing would be Santa Cruz. But again, no Olive Garden. You might be able to find a cheap rental up in the mountain towns there - not sure about Santa Cruz proper.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Thick forests and trees ... yes there are lots of redwoods and forest in S.C. county but that's not to suggest that the coast line is forested nor that one needs to live in the woods if in the county ... just clarifying that.
I know that. But you're gonna find that more in Northern Cal than Southern Cal unless you're in the mountains.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushing60 View Post
I don't think you have done your homework very well. Eureka is in the very very northern part of CA. You are not going to learn to surf there - water is much too cold. You say your boyfriend could "just transfer" but you have not looked to see if there is an Olive Garden in Eureka or the surrounding area. By the way, there is not one.

As far as Eureka is concerned it is not Sunny California. Their weather is much more like Oregon's weather - very wet and cold. Eureka is a small town but believe me there is not much to do there and it is not close to a larger town. It is about 3 hours to Redding and 4 hours to Santa Rosa.

You say you don't want to for further south than Sacramento and near the coast. Sacto is not near the coast. Small coastal town for surfing would be Santa Cruz. But again, no Olive Garden. You might be able to find a cheap rental up in the mountain towns there - not sure about Santa Cruz proper.
Well put. Now I'm not one to sing San Diego's praises but I think the OP really is looking for a place like San Diego. Surfing beach and sunny weather. There's also an Olive Garden not too far from the beaches in the Sports Arena area as well as several more around the city.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I know that. But you're gonna find that more in Northern Cal than Southern Cal unless you're in the mountains.
I know you know that ... I was just clarifying for the o.p. so that she doesn't get the wrong impression about the coastline.
Also, given that she said that she doesn't want to be south of Sacramento, i'm thinking that it's her way of saying that she want's to avoid southern CA?? ... so Santa Cruz county may be a good option ... or not ... who knows.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I think the closest Olive Garden to here is Redding. Chain restaurants don't do well here except the very low end,McD's etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California