Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times

Advertisements

I know what you're thinking; another race thread.

I'm beginning to think now since many black Californians have moved to the old school South, it led me to believe that the state is becoming less welcoming of blacks. That's what a friend told me.

Honestly and seriously, do you think California (mainly LA) is becoming less welcoming and less friendly of blacks living here?

Old 04-14-2010, 01:45 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

I'm beginning to think now since many black Californians have moved to the old school South, it led me to believe that the state is becoming less welcoming of blacks. That's what a friend told me.

Honestly and seriously, do you think California (mainly LA) is becoming less welcoming and less friendly of blacks living here?
To be quite honest your question is lame & based on nothing. Why in 2010 would Blacks be less welcomed in California?

Old 04-14-2010, 02:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:

If anything LA's become more welcome and more friendly towards blacks. If C-D had existed in the 1970s or 1980s all the anti-illegal immigrant posts would be anti-black posts and language would be used that would be completely unacceptable today. In L.A. the only color that really matters is the pretty green. In some Latino areas with heavy gang activity there have been attacks on blacks, but its more of a gang thing than a racial thing. Santa Monica and Pacific Palisades are the last bastions of white anti-black racism, but that's more in terms of open racist sentiments being acceptable to express (one reason why I would not want to live in the Palisades or anywhere in SM besides Ocean Park) due to the Palisades and SM (outside of the tiny Pico mini-barrio) being overwhelmingly white places.

There are other places in the state which are more anti-black than L.A. Orange County traditionally has been very anti-black but this is changing. OTOH San Francisco has never been particularly friendly towards blacks and seems to have gotten more anti-black as time has gone on. Although even in SF wealthy, gay, or hipsterish African-Americans are more accepted. The East Bay's getting less black but certainly accepts blacks. The IE and Sac have seen massive rises in their black populations, I know there have been some pretty hard core racial tensions in the IE but I think most of that's gang related rather than strictly racial. Not sure about Sac (now the state's 2nd blackest big city with Oakland remaining #1).

Old 04-14-2010, 02:31 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If anything LA's become more welcome and more friendly towards blacks. If C-D had existed in the 1970s or 1980s all the anti-illegal immigrant posts would be anti-black posts and language would be used that would be completely unacceptable today. In L.A. the only color that really matters is the pretty green. In some Latino areas with heavy gang activity there have been attacks on blacks, but its more of a gang thing than a racial thing. Santa Monica and Pacific Palisades are the last bastions of white anti-black racism, but that's more in terms of open racist sentiments being acceptable to express (one reason why I would not want to live in the Palisades or anywhere in SM besides Ocean Park) due to the Palisades and SM (outside of the tiny Pico mini-barrio) being overwhelmingly white places.

There are other places in the state which are more anti-black than L.A. Orange County traditionally has been very anti-black but this is changing. OTOH San Francisco has never been particularly friendly towards blacks and seems to have gotten more anti-black as time has gone on. Although even in SF wealthy, gay, or hipsterish African-Americans are more accepted. The East Bay's getting less black but certainly accepts blacks. The IE and Sac have seen massive rises in their black populations, I know there have been some pretty hard core racial tensions in the IE but I think most of that's gang related rather than strictly racial. Not sure about Sac (now the state's 2nd blackest big city with Oakland remaining #1).
majoun, where are you getting your information? Since when is super liberal Santa Monica anti-black? Total nonsense! Your comment yesterday that Los Angeles was much less ethnic than Chicago & other cities proved to be entirely false if you bothered to look at the data I posted. Black Americans fled the South decades ago to settle in California to escape racism.

Hey bro, your whole post is untrue from the population figures about Sacramento & Oakland as well as your imagined racial conflicts in the Inland Empire and San Francisco. Please do a little google research before posting.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:24 AM

188 posts, read 920,427 times
Not so much CA becoming less welcoming, just that housing and the cost of living prices have gotten so high, making other states much more attractive (as it has for many native Whites too). I thought for sure Long Beach had a larger African American population, but percentage wise Sacramento is the number 2 among the largest cities in the state (15.5%). SF, LA and SD are all in the single digits and declining, as much of their African-American populations moved to the burbs (Fairfield and Antioch up north, Rancho Cucamonga, Moreno Valley to the south)

Old 04-14-2010, 06:37 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
not so much ca becoming less welcoming, just that housing and the cost of living prices have gotten so high, making other states much more attractive (as it has for many native whites too).
so true.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:15 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
since many black Californians have moved to the old school South
Data?

Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 AM

305 posts, read 771,450 times
^^^

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Fil...40524_Frey.pdf

Go to page 3.

For the record... no, I don't think CA is less welcoming of blacks. Black people leaving is not exclusive to CA, it's happening in the Northeast and in the Midwest as well. Housing has become increasingly expensive, and middle class jobs have become scarce, that's the reason why blacks (and middle class people of other races) are leaving these areas. I'm black and pretty much everyone on my father's side of the family has left South Central and moved to areas like Arizona, the Inland Empire, and even Texas. There's only my father and my aunt who still live in the L.A. area and if you were to ask the rest of my relatives why they left, they'll tell you the same thing: it got expensive.

Why did you come to the conclusion that CA is less welcoming of blacks, OP?

Old 04-14-2010, 08:17 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,385,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J._in_L.A. View Post
^^^

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/rc/reports/2004/05demographics_frey/20040524_Frey.pdf

Go to page 3.

For the record... no, I don't think CA is less welcoming of blacks. Black people leaving is not exclusive to CA, it's happening in the Northeast and in the Midwest as well. Housing has become increasingly expensive, and middle class jobs have become scarce, that's the reason why blacks (and middle class people of other races) are leaving these areas. I'm black and pretty much everyone on my father's side of the family has left South Central and moved to areas like Arizona, the Inland Empire, and even Texas. There's only my father and my aunt who still live in the L.A. area and if you were to ask the rest of my relatives why they left, they'll tell you the same thing: it got expensive.

Why did you come to the conclusion that CA is less welcoming of blacks, OP?
I echo these sentiments as well. It seems that the primary factor in most people's migration patterns away from California nowadays seems to be high housing prices and other expenses related to living here. Although housing prices have dropped, the job market hasn't YET picked up enough steam to bring a lot of these people back.

I don't think attitudes toward Blacks or really anyone else has become more negative, but rather the economy has treated us all negatively. That's what you call an 'equal opportunity discriminator"

Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,719,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If anything LA's become more welcome and more friendly towards blacks. If C-D had existed in the 1970s or 1980s all the anti-illegal immigrant posts would be anti-black posts and language would be used that would be completely unacceptable today.).
Yes, if you are here illegally, you get sent back to your country of origin to stand in the line the proper way. 20 million walked right in, and they might get granted amnesty. Yeah, that upsets people. But race an negative comments about race have no place in any debate. This issue isn't about race. How many poor Africans do you think there are who would love to live in America? But nobody's been able to swim the Atlantic yet. Who gave Mexico a monopoly on our immigration policies? Is that fair? NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California