Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

I have on RARE occasion got a cheap flight to RC, and Spearfish will be accessible from there. I may need to access SD only via free miles (I have zillions).

I need a domicile in SD, so will need to get an eddy there. I was looking at commercial props near Piedmont, and it is close enough to Rapid. But SD is goning to be an infrequent abode, so I will need something that I can rent and get good solid cash flows (probably commercial).

Toters are medium duty trucks, (class 4-6) often crew / club cabs. (~ 2,5 ton). Many versions / varieties. Freightliner was capitalizing on this when the economy went south. Peterbilt and Kenworth have them too. From thase who have BTDT and retreated.... they were not impressed, especially considering the cost of a 'custom' truck with very limited use.

I just am too practical, so... I would get a class 8
Truck classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:59 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz1023 View Post
so a toter home huh? does one need a special license for that?
my one ton may be big but i can parellel park it on a city street, a toter is a whole 'nother beast!
It's my understanding that in most states no special license is required, even for the big class 8 tractors as long as they're converted to motorhome status, which is what most do. That means they have to be "self contained". They qualify for that by having the bed in the back of the cab in addition to a microwave, small refrigerator, generator, etc. And yes, some do haul a car on the tractor and tow the 5er.

Those who praise the class 8s stress that their turning radius, after being singled (shortened), is less than a pickup's and that their ride beats any tow vehicle. Most buy them with half million to a million miles on them and say they'll never wear them out.

I was thinking a few years ago that we'd probably get a Teton for full-timing, and they just about require a medium or heavy duty truck. I'm leaning towards something a little lighter for a 5er now, that we can safely tow with a 1-ton dually. But we don't need a Jeep. If we did, I'd definitely go for a class 8 -- a singled-out Volvo. You can find nice ones that are already converted and ready to go for $25-$35K.

Have you visited escapees.com? Lots of experienced full-timers there that would help you.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:03 PM

428 posts, read 643,807 times
hi again---and wow have i learned a ton in the past few weeks!
so at this point we are thinking of either-
a class a diesel pusher toy hauler with which i can someday pull a two horse bumper pull horse trailer--a horse toad if you will.

or a horse trailer (3horse slant should be large enough for the jeep) with slides enough to feel like a decent living space.

one extra thing i'm looking forward to is i plan to put the litter box in the toy or horse space so it's out of my living area.

we are so excited to move into our summer camp--that will teach us a whole lot about what we're going to want in order to feel comfortable.
our travel trailer is a 25' hornet one bedroom which came with our camp site. it's a good rig to spend a few months in and learn from for sure.
thanks everyone!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 PM

Hey, I just came back from an RV park where I saw a Horse / living Combo 5r. It was SWEET and very nice looking (Bloomer). I don't see their website as being active (Maybe went broke, as a lot of great products do, but here is a good selection of USED Bloomer's). Hopefully they are in Business and just letting dealers handle the sales.

Bloomer Trailers for Sale
Used trailers for sale, New & Used Bloomer Living Quarter trailers for sale- Your #1 Bloomer Dealer! - Bloomer Trailers

Old 03-16-2013, 11:28 PM

292 posts, read 358,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Hey, I just came back from an RV park where I saw a Horse / living Combo 5r. It was SWEET and very nice looking (Bloomer). I don't see their website as being active (Maybe went broke, as a lot of great products do, but here is a good selection of USED Bloomer's). Hopefully they are in Business and just letting dealers handle the sales.

Bloomer Trailers for Sale
Used trailers for sale, New & Used Bloomer Living Quarter trailers for sale- Your #1 Bloomer Dealer! - Bloomer Trailers
Bloomer on my radar if I win the lottery. Nice trailer. Mine is a 4Star, so far, so good.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:37 AM

bloomer and/or a featherlite villa when i win the big bucks!
til then we'll leave the ponies at home while we travel, as we will be here five months out of the year--which coincides with decent riding weather so it's all good.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
bloomer and/or a featherlite villa when i win the big bucks!
til then we'll leave the ponies at home while we travel, as we will be here five months out of the year--which coincides with decent riding weather so it's all good.
Understood, but saw a couple for ONLY $25k (vs $130k)... I too am on a 'Shoestring', tho splurged for a $25k 20mpg motorhome for DS.

where'bouts is home?

I am looking at a 'rural-residence-property-with cottage / active-senior' potential today. It is only 10 acres but was the ranch house and bunk houses (2), so very nice (older) abode with some space for critters and access to river. (In west hill country TX, <1hr from San Antonio and 1.2 from Austin). Weather is nice 9 months / yr, then HOT (when it is nice in PNW, one of my 'other' homes). I'm not sure where folks ride in TX, since there is no public land. I am making a few friends with ranchers to avail some options.

For PNW, I have plenty of land / grass during summer at my sites there, but can't house horses during the 9 months of rain, as they pulverize the pastures. There is MUCH public land nearby. (riding / walking distance).

Good luck with your travels. (I see my "home Ranch" near Masonville, CO is on fire, AGAIN... Many yrs (25+) plying the hillsides and creek bottoms via horse along the Buckhorn Creek / Canyon.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 AM

i'm a new england girl and dh from joisey.
but with kids scattered our home will be where ever we're parked i guess!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,368 times
Hi out there I'm mike
I've been looking for a fifth wheel 2 stall horse trailer with living area in front to convert to a motor cycle hauler for two cruisers bike so thw girlfriend and I can go on longer trip then jump on the bike for short trip any one get any ideas I can be reached at [email]mikerolandprevost@icloud.com[/email]

Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,578,925 times
Quote:
we're still in the brainstorming and planning stages and this is a question which has come up a few times.
i already have the truck, as i am a horse owner and have been pulling a gooseneck horse trailer for over ten years. (ford 4x4 one ton f350 dually with very few miles on it--not even broken in for a diesel).

i am downsizing the herd but will keep my old timer boarded at first while we travel, but may someday take her with me on the road.
meanwhile, we're fairly certain a toyhauler fifth wheel is for us, as we intend to be at camp all summer and winters in florida and dh wants to bring his jeep with him for running around. and when we're parked i'll have my beloved truck to do the same.
so the question is which is a better fit for us?
i know i can drive his jeep up into my horse trailer, but can horses travel safely in a toy hauler if it's outfitted properly?
is one type of vehicle better or heavier made than the other?

my mare's comfort and safety will paramount, and we need decent size living space as we'll be full timers.
While the RV - 5th wheel/toyhaulers are nice..... they lack alot quality construction & materials.
True..... I am no expert but from what I've seen from the horsetrailers w/ living quarters that I have been in it would be my pic......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing