Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 08:35 AM

121 posts, read 221,362 times

Advertisements

I am a widow, who has found my passion is being on the road seeing as much of the U.S. as I can (especially loving warm climates). I have sold all of my worldly possessions and found that is so liberating. Material things no longer bring me happiness, it's the simple things I enjoy. So far I've only traveled to a couple of places, stayed awhile and gotten a job to supplement my social security income, but I yearn to "hit the road" about every year and go to a new place. Just can't decide if I should get a used RV or rent a place at each destination. Has anyone tried what I'm wanting to do? I would love to hear your pro's and con's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 11:15 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Look into the Escapees and run a search for full-time rving. Lots and lots of people are doing this both retired and not these are some of them: HitchItch I really only know about the rving side. I think it might be difficult to find short term housing in some areas. Another thought is: Summer Jobs and Seasonal Jobs in Great Places | CoolWorks.com as some of these list jobs for both RVers and some have housing available at their site.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
I've only traveled to a couple of places ... but I yearn to "hit the road" about every year
Just can't decide if I should get a used RV or rent a place at each destination.
If the intention is to go to one place at a time and as infrequently as this...
then absolutely avoid the burden and expense of an RV in addition to car and space rentals.

Look for furnished sublets and shares right in the center of the towns that appeal to you...
and then drive between there and the next location that appeals to you.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I'd suggest that you try rving by renting a motorhome for awhile. You'd probably enjoy it, but if you've never tried it, that's quite a risk.

My wife and I hope to retire to a life of rving -- probably working a little to supplement our income, maybe at a campground, maybe not.

Tens of thousands of people do just what you're doing but do it from their rv. If you decide to buy one, I'd strongly suggest getting a higher end one for better comfort and longer wear. Most small rvs are made for weekend camping, and while the carpets and cabinets are fine for a few weeks out of the year, they don't stand up to daily use, and while the furnaces will do fine in cool weather, they can't keep water lines from freezing when the temperatures drop into single digits.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
I do a little of all..

Highly recommend Escapees as per above, rent / borrow several sizes of RV to see what best fits you. I sent mine off with three couples and a single person this yr so they could decide if they like it. Some yes, some no! so it was of benefit to try. When we have guests we give them the choice of staying in RV or guest rooms or apartment with kitchen.

DO NOT BUY until you know FOR SURE you want one. RV's, like boats, are VERY expensive anchors and can be TOUGH to sell. I do volunteer help with rural elderly and the MAJORITY have just bought motorhomes after / near age 80 and I have to sell them!! it can take YEARS to sell one, and most often they lose a lot of equity (value).

Consider:
RV a Class B conversion van (EZ to sell, can be CHEAP to buy... < $5000), or this class C RV (what I call the PERFECT woman's motorhome (Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van), A $100 tranny cooler is a MUST, and these rigs are only for 'on-road' camping (low clearance and Frt wheel drive). I get 18 - 22 mpg keeping it at 60 mph. I have dry camped (no RV park) for most my trips, and have been out as long as 6 months (usually by myself, for the really long trips.) It is EZ to 'stealth camp' and use FREE Campgrounds (city parks and fairgrounds in Rural towns...). Free Campgrounds for RVs

If I overnight in a LARGE town I will use a Hospital or church lot. These rigs fit in a std car parking spot. I store mine at airports when I feel like flying home and mowing the grass or feeding the 'farm-dog' (and farm cats). I like to check on them every month or so, tho they are always quite fine without me hanging around 'bothering' them. I can leave my RV in COVERED airport parking in Tucson for $3 / day! My mom used her 'Roadtrek' van camper till she was age 80, then she swapped to a Rialta, due to need to get her husband and wheel chair in the RV. She is now age 85 and heading across USA (solo) in it at the moment.

Renting / owning in choice locations (PNW, Hill Country TX, NE TN, and Loveland / Ft. Collins / Estes, Colorado are my current choices) I fly (usually $89 on SWA) between my Inexpensive homes (that can be rented and STILL have a place of me in Guest house or apartment) and I keep a CHEAP econo diesel car at each location. (that can sit for well over a yr without having mechanical issues). The econo cars are always happy to see me and go for some 50 mpg drives to beautiful destinations. (currently I am still 'Fly-driving. to NE TN, no property owned or car there YET. but SHOPPING )

I do Many 'fly / drive' vacations using SWA, hotwire / priceline cars ($10/ day) and private guest hospitality homes (for last 25 yrs.. $10 - $20 / night worldwide) a few listed here, Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel
but not my favorites. (I used over 50 nights last yr in Hospitality Homes, VERY safe!!!, very educational, very fun.) I have sent several single gals off across the USA and World, and they enjoy and feel very safe doing this. I have 3 future trips (fall) booked using 'fly-drive' due to recent low cost fares. (subscribe to airline 'bargain list', it comes out every Weds from most carriers)

Many people that come to stay with me have done house swapping and house sitting for extended times (my SIL has done it for 30 + yrs in Hawaii), No / little housing expense. Works REALLY well if you have a vacation home you can use to swap so no strangers are roaming you own home.

I will be doing the rental thing in small villages in Europe, Asia, and South America, after my current international PT working gig.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-01-2013 at 01:09 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 06:46 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
National Parks have a campground host program. and you can try camphost.org

Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
National Parks have a campground host program. and you can try camphost.org
Yes, but it's not just national parks. State parks, county parks, city parks, national forest parks, BLM campgrounds, COE campgrounds, and even private campgrounds use camp hosts and other campground employees for registering guests, bookkeeping, cleaning sites, cleaning bath houses, mowing grass, trimming trees and other landscaping, filling propane tanks, selling firewood, leading nature tours, etc., etc., etc. Pay isn't usually too great, but often the hours are good and locations unbeatable.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meandthee View Post
I am a widow, who has found my passion is being on the road seeing as much of the U.S. as I can (especially loving warm climates). I have sold all of my worldly possessions and found that is so liberating. Material things no longer bring me happiness, it's the simple things I enjoy. So far I've only traveled to a couple of places, stayed awhile and gotten a job to supplement my social security income, but I yearn to "hit the road" about every year and go to a new place. Just can't decide if I should get a used RV or rent a place at each destination. Has anyone tried what I'm wanting to do? I would love to hear your pro's and con's
A lot depends on you. Some people can be happy in an apartment in the city, but an RV gives you more outdoor space.

I would suggest actually going to some campgrounds and seeing if that's the kind of environment you like. My dad for example would have gone nuts in a long-term motel or apartment but he loved being a campground host and meeting fellow RV'ers. There's something about the smoke of the bonfires, being around fellow travelers -- you're more likely to meet and talk with people in a campground or RV park than being a renter for a few months.

The nice thing about an RV or travel trailer is that it can be your home but you can move it around. -- Still what works for one person, won't be what works for another. You won't know until you try.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 AM

175 posts, read 595,160 times
Ramblin Widow,

I'm sorry for your loss - it's comforting to see how full of life you are. Sounds like you've discovered the truly important things so many seek. There's a neat site about simple living you might enjoy: Simple Living Manifesto: 72 Ideas to Simplify Your Life : zenhabits

I agree with many of the posters above. Unless you plan to travel from place to place more frequently, it may be "simpler" to just rent a furnished place at your destination of choice. There are a lot of places in warm climates that are 2nd homes for people. They're furnished and most would welcome a mature "housesitter" for a reasonable rent over say 6 months of the year. A win-win.

Since you're on a fixed income, I'd personally just get a nice, dependable car. While I don't own an RV, I've heard many a story about the cost and work maintaining them (especially the used ones). And that doesn't sound like the simple you seek. If you rent a home or apartment - repairs are not your headache.

I highly recommend spending some time in the southwest. Southern Utah and Northern Arizona are amazing. Winters temps are very comfortable (sunny and 60's). The scenery in Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon National Parks is quite unique and will leave you in awe. The clean dry air and deep blue skies attract many retirees, so there's often plenty of activities going on tailored to this group.

As for some of the simple things in life...a few of my favorites out here: Getting up early to watch the sunrise from the back patio of the North Rim Lodge with a hot cup of coffee or tea (N. Rim Grand Canyon - open mid-May to mid-Oct). Attending a "star party" at Cedar Breaks Nat'l Monument where the brightness of the Milky Way almost casts a shadow. Taking a hike in Zion in the fall as the leaves change and the crowds have thinned - enjoying lunch at Oscars in Springdale. The warmth of the sun in the southwest as the morning chill in the winter breaks. At least a few things to consider.

No matter what you decide, I hope you enjoy your adventures...

Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Default Advice for Ramblin widow

Go west young lady, go west!

RV life can be fun and occasionally challenging.

Budget your gas-fuel money wisely, make sure you have enough $$$ to eat and stay in campgrounds if you must, if you're old like me, you can camp for free in National Forests and Grasslands, you can also camp for free on most BLM land too. In our world, we would use 1/3 of our money for fuel, trying to budget another 1/3 for food-medicine-etc., and try to hold onto 1/3 for emergencies like flat tires, rv roof leaks, etc...

Make sure you carry a laptop or a Ipad or something that gives you access to the internet, very helpful when looking for Walgreens or other for prescriptions, campgrounds, stores, etc..

Don't expect to get 3 or 4 G wireless connections on forest or blm lands, or cell phone service, as these locations might be remote.

Don't know if you like dogs or not, but having one that barks along is sort of a good idea for a singlular person, it lets would be 2 legged coyotes know you're not a pushover.

Also, if you need another income too get by on, consider an rv and permanently locate it in a southwest region, where you might get a part time job wiping tables in a restaurant or being a greeter at a Walmart.

Most of all, have fun, and enjoy yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing