Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:15 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Just got back from a quick over night. I had forgotten what camping in a campground was like after years of camping in more remote areas. Big group next to us was plenty far away, but they were up until 3:30. Yeah that was great, my only salvation was the group on the other side of them starting playing a guitar and singing around 9, yeah that had to hurt the first group.

I have stayed at some places where the rangers will definitely come by and tell people to be quiet.

Most of my stays have been very quiet, for which I am thankful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
I live four days of the week in a Fleetwood pop-up camper. Nice little unit. Little crazy in thunderstorms but I do stay dry. I'm good until say, October as I'm in Minnesota. It has heat but still, a heated tent is a heated tent.

I could see using this to tour the country, for sure.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 976 times
Very informative thread.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:56 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestcampaintent View Post
Very informative thread.
Yeah. I like this one.

I'm retired. And since every day is a Saturday and every three days make up a weekend () I now have the time to do what I have always wanted.

Truck camping.
I still own my 90 GMC 4X4 shortbed that I bought in 1990. It's in the shop now getting suspension and steering work. Next it'll get tires and differential work. It runs fine, so I'll leave the engine (5.7 liter) alone.

It has a camper cap. So the bed of the truck gets converted to a sleeping area - carpeted, built in cot, lights, and so forth.
I may extend things a bit by using an SUV tent, which attaches to the back of the truck.
And that's how I will do it. I'm a loner by nature and my wife has little interest, so I'll happily go alone.

If I am successful I will put around 20,000 miles on the truck in the next few years.... BLM land in the West; Mojave Road; Canada all the way up to the arctic circle, and finally Alaska. There are TONS of dirt roads and trails that most people simply cannot take.

I am stoked!

Old 10-13-2017, 08:16 AM

Well, I didn't get to do my week of camping, but maybe next year.

I did get to go up 3-4 times for a weekend, but it's so much driving for me.

But camping season is pretty much over where I am.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:51 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I would have to rethink much of my gear. Most of it dates to the 1970s and my backpacking days. In my 70th year, I'm going to be restricted to car camping if I go out but there are places here in NM where that will be fine.

Does anyone still use the tiny old Primus stoves that you pour white gas into the little recessed area and set it on fire? Once it got started it sounded like a little jet engine but it worked like a champ.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post

Does anyone still use the tiny old Primus stoves that you pour white gas into the little recessed area and set it on fire? Once it got started it sounded like a little jet engine but it worked like a champ.
No, but we still use our Coleman stove from 1981.

Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,897 times
Heads up--Cabela's (at least at our store) has discontinued their 48"x78" 2.75" thick camp mattresses and has them in their bargain cave at 50 percent off (was $122, now is $61). Great for tent and pickup camping.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:28 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Most of the posts here lately are related to RV/trailer camping. Anyone going tent camping this year?

I have been wanting to add to my camping gear for awhile but lack of space holds me back. Also, we don't get to go as often as I'd like to but I think that will be changing sooner than later. I also want to upgrade everything. I have checked CL but I think because of the area I live in, we don't get a lot of camping gear postings.

Anyone heading anywhere good? We usually stick to our home state but I'm thinking about branching out to other nearby states with a similar drive time.
Just got back from a weekend of tent camping as part of a dive trip. So it was get to the dive site via truck and then set up tents there to stay over night.

One thing I would say is to get good steel stakes. I found that these were good, https://www.target.com/p/coleman-174...E&gclsrc=aw.ds and that these were great https://www.amazon.com/Tent-Stakes-Heavy-12-Inch-BareFour/dp/B0762PJ21W !

They went into the ground decently but not easily with a rubber mallet and I could pull them out with a steady arm pull.

I think I have a tent fetish. I used a two person hiking tent this weekend, something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bushnell-...eps-1/42120627
Something like that. Mine says it is for 2 people but for one, it does very nicely. I was able to throw my various backpacks (book, camera, clothing, bail out), sleeping bag, towels, sweaters, field jacket, boots in and sleep comfortably. Mine you, things like dive gear were outside.

I have another tent like this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-H...HcIc1JVY797Vv0
that is at another site in Texas that got left there. Hopefully it will still be there in a few weeks when I get back there but at $50, I am thinking of going to that site with just another tent in case it it is not there or other wise.

Then this was my first tent of my own, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...-Tent/55036167 but its shock cord tent poles got misplaced, so I have to order new ones. As easy as they are to set up and with the truck being there for dive trips, I am thinking about still keeping that tent around for secondary purposes such as a loaner tent or an equipment tent. If I can get the replacement shock poles before I go out to the site in the above paragraph, I may not have to buy another tall tent.

THEN, I inherited the family camping gear from the 60's and 70's, so I at least have dinner fly and a pup tent.

For me, tents are turning into what my sleeping bag (REI, I think it is a 15 degree bag) is; infrastructure so I can do what needs to be done in my active live. Take a trip, visit relatives, have the prospect of bedding down with the dogs, be on a research trawler.....take the sleeping bag. Tents and coolers and now field kitchen, I am getting rather well equipped here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
.........We also have a queen air mattress which makes tent camping more bearable for a relaxing nights sleep......
To each their own. I am still "rough and tumble" that I just do a sleeping bag in the tent and with the two camping weekends I've done in the past month, I've slept marvelously!

As it is, it is a good thing that I am "rough and tumble" for yesterday morning, I tripped over one of my tent stakes and went down in an armless body roll. No damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Just got back from a quick over night. I had forgotten what camping in a campground was like after years of camping in more remote areas. Big group next to us was plenty far away, but they were up until 3:30. Yeah that was great, my only salvation was the group on the other side of them starting playing a guitar and singing around 9, yeah that had to hurt the first group.
I've been with some real night owls and that's not a problem for me. I sleep like a rock in a coma. For all the "fire walking" antics they were talking about one well lubricated diver, I never heard it.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 10-30-2017 at 01:54 AM..

Old 02-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Bumping this thread---any plans for 2019 yet?

I already have a week long camping trip and two weekends planned.

I am kicking myself because there was a tent I was stalking but didn't want to buy it without being able to test it out right after (not going camping for months from now) and now it's sold out with no plans to return.

Has anyone camped in the Great Smoky Mountains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing