Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:44 AM

252 posts, read 390,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What about the Grand Canyon?
That is number one for me--at least in the off-season!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 02:06 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlfamily View Post
That is number one for me--at least in the off-season!!
As my post previously stated, overnight hiking in a national park is carefully monitored and restricted. You have to apply for a permit, hope the days are open, then camp where The Man tells you to camp, and expect a friendly (or imposing) visit by an armed park ranger driving up in a 4x4 while you set up a tent in "natures wilderness" that you just spent 6 hours humping a pack to get to. Grand Canyon is heavily restricted.
Rewarding and challenging I'm sure, but not my cup of tea.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:35 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I happened to catch a PBS show last night about Death Valley. I don't believe you could find more extreme conditions in the lower 48.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
As my post previously stated, overnight hiking in a national park is carefully monitored and restricted. You have to apply for a permit, hope the days are open, then camp where The Man tells you to camp, and expect a friendly (or imposing) visit by an armed park ranger driving up in a 4x4 while you set up a tent in "natures wilderness" that you just spent 6 hours humping a pack to get to. Grand Canyon is heavily restricted.
Rewarding and challenging I'm sure, but not my cup of tea.
Yeah, I specifically avoid Nat. Parks when looking to camp and get a true outdoor experience. They suck all the fun out of it, and nullify all the reasons I want to be outdoors in the first place. I don't mind them for day visits, but for a true adventure it's best to go somewhere else.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
You should really consider the Sawtooth Mtns of central Idaho- they're beautiful, rugged and have lots of cold clear lakes, don't have to worry about camping permits and such too. You can fly into Sun Valley and they're only an 1 1/2 hr drive north from there. Bring your fly rod to fish the lakes or the Salmon River.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
The Bitterroot Wilderness/River of No Return Wilderness in Idaho. (The only thing separating the two is a dirt road.) You won't find a more true wildnerness experience in the continental U.S. Amazing scenery. Endless mountains. The most extensive rugged mountains in the United States. Rivers. Lakes. Lots of wildlife. And no people.

If you're going to go in on a jeep or 4wd, you'd better get good, recent maps. There's dirt roads in there, but a real lack of signs telling you where they go. It is very easy to get lost.

The No Return wildneress is in south-central ID. The Bitterroot is in north-central. The difference between the two is that the former is a drier climate, while the latter is wet and green (particularly around the Lochsa river area).

I'd highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableguy8 View Post
In the continental US. Me and my brother are gonna go on a trip and are looking for a really cool place. We're considering Glacier National Park in Montana, the Appalacian Trail, Oregon, RMNT in Colorado, and others as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM

I don't recommend fishing the Salmon river. Real poor fishing. I was up there last year and tried fishing around Stanley. The locals told me not to bother, there's nothing in it.

It's a crying shame. The Salmon river has its name because it used to be the spawning grounds for Pacific-going salmon. But the constructions of dams along the Columbia river have completely blocked their migratory route. There are no more salmon runs along the Salmon river!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokycoyote22 View Post
You should really consider the Sawtooth Mtns of central Idaho- they're beautiful, rugged and have lots of cold clear lakes, don't have to worry about camping permits and such too. You can fly into Sun Valley and they're only an 1 1/2 hr drive north from there. Bring your fly rod to fish the lakes or the Salmon River.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Here's an interesting fact: Death iValley s the lowest point in the U.S.. while just an hour or two away are the Sierra Madres (large mountains.) On a single day, you can see, like a 60 degree or more temperature difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I happened to catch a PBS show last night about Death Valley. I don't believe you could find more extreme conditions in the lower 48.

Old 06-15-2009, 05:32 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
If you're going to go in on a jeep or 4wd, you'd better get good, recent maps. There's dirt roads in there, but a real lack of signs telling you where they go. It is very easy to get lost.
Hiking and jeep roads are what's called an oxymoron - contradiction.

Any place you can take a 4 wheel drive to removes "extreme" and "wilderness" from the equation. I love jeep trails too, when I have a jeep, and when the trails allow motorized travel...but when I'm on foot I don't want to be a dozen miles from a motorized road.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:56 PM

The Bitterroot/RONR is 300 miles across. You're proposing that if the OP wants to get into the heart of this wilderness, they should walk in and walk out? I believe they said they have 2 weeks to use, of which I assume three or four days would be spent getting to and from their drop off point. Doesn't leave enough time.

You obviously haven't been in this wilderness. It's not like other areas. You can four wheel into the backcountry there and not see anyone for days. Especially the farther you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Hiking and jeep roads are what's called an oxymoron - contradiction.

Any place you can take a 4 wheel drive to removes "extreme" and "wilderness" from the equation. I love jeep trails too, when I have a jeep, and when the trails allow motorized travel...but when I'm on foot I don't want to be a dozen miles from a motorized road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing