Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,465,316 times

Advertisements

I hear this term in Canada far less than I would expect, considering that like so many people, for many Canadians, a little ribbing is a way of showing warmth and acceptance. On the way home today I was trying to guess why I don't hear more of it.

My mind came up with a lot of possible reasons, from very simple to fairly thought-out, but I'd like to hear how some Canadians feel about the term. Do you ever use it? Or if not, is there any particular reason, or just doesn't happen to be a word you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,081,790 times
I'm become aware through this forum that most Americans are actually puzzled when we call them 'Yanks.' To them a Yankee is a Northerner. Not sure if 'Yank' is common.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:19 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
I never hear people in this part of Canada referring to Americans as Yanks. Maybe they do in other parts of Canada but I don't know. Here we call them Americans. Actually, now that I think of it I never hear people here referring to people from any other countries by any other slang or nick-names. We refer to them by their nationality. So, I don't think it's a common trait for most Canadians to call other people by slang names. Maybe it's just a form of politeness and respect or of not wishing to take liberties with other people. I don't know.

We often refer to ourselves as Canucks but even that word is not originally a Canadian term. The term Canuck is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism, originally referring specifically to a French Canadian but all Canadians have accepted Canuck as their own. I've heard people from America and some other countries refer to Canada and Canadians by other names that are less polite and are usually perceived by most Canadians to be derogatory and intentional insults.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-18-2012 at 02:28 AM..

Old 01-18-2012, 04:18 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
...how some Canadians feel about the term. Do you ever use it? Or if not, is there any particular reason, or just doesn't happen to be a word you say?
I always thought "Yank" or "Yankee" was a similar term to Canuck (or Kiwi) - not derogatory but just a generic slang word for American. When I have occassionally heard it used, it has been used (incorrectly) in that fashion - just instead of "American" and not negatively/mal-intentioned. No I don't use it.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,547,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm become aware through this forum that most Americans are actually puzzled when we call them 'Yanks.' To them a Yankee is a Northerner. Not sure if 'Yank' is common.
That is what is used in Europe. And it is not a term of endearment.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,878,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I hear this term in Canada far less than I would expect, considering that like so many people, for many Canadians, a little ribbing is a way of showing warmth and acceptance. On the way home today I was trying to guess why I don't hear more of it.

My mind came up with a lot of possible reasons, from very simple to fairly thought-out, but I'd like to hear how some Canadians feel about the term. Do you ever use it? Or if not, is there any particular reason, or just doesn't happen to be a word you say?
I consider Yank to be a rude thing to say to an American

Old 01-18-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I always thought "Yank" or "Yankee" was a similar term to Canuck (or Kiwi) - not derogatory but just a generic slang word for American. When I have occassionally heard it used, it has been used (incorrectly) in that fashion - just instead of "American" and not negatively/mal-intentioned. No I don't use it.
I dunno, I think Yank is ruder than Canuck for some reason

Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Default Re: Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
We often refer to ourselves as Canucks but even that word is not originally a Canadian term. The term Canuck is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism, originally referring specifically to a French Canadian but all Canadians have accepted Canuck as their own. I've heard people from America and some other countries refer to Canada and Canadians by other names that are less polite and are usually perceived by most Canadians to be derogatory and intentional insults.

In Quebec, "Canuck" almost always refers to the NHL club based in the city of Vancouver. No one uses it as a personal national identifier and no one views it as a racial slur against French Canadians. Though your depiction of the history of the term "Canuck" is bang on. I suppose that in some Franco-American circles in New England the term "Canuck" might be still viewed as an insulting racial slur today (similar to WOP for Italians).

Old 01-18-2012, 08:24 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I have actually heard more than a few Aussies refer to Canadians derisively as "Frozen Yanks".

Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acajack View Post
i have actually heard more than a few aussies refer to canadians derisively as "frozen yanks".
lmao...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada