Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:44 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times

Advertisements

The "Merger of the Century" thread seems to have spun off into a discussion of English Canadian culture. So let's give that topic its own thread.

What is English Canadian culture? Is it the same from coast-to-coast? Is it more regional than national? Are there any cultural offerings that unite English Canadians? Are there any that divide them? What roles do the arts, sports, and general attitudes towards "Canadian culture" (however you define it) play in English Canadians' lives?

Let's discuss. We may not reach a consensus, but at least we won't be hijacking the "Merger of the Century" thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Seems the government has put some effort into answering that Question=
Canadian Culture in a Global World
As Canada consists of a very diverse cultural mosaic For me the common denominator for Canadian culture starts with a culture that is proud to be Canadian and identifies with all aspects of its artistic, culinary, literary, humour, musical, political and social elements that are representative of Canada .
Go Habs Go!

Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems the government has put some effort into answering that Question=
Canadian Culture in a Global World
As Canada consists of a very diverse cultural mosaic For me the common denominator for Canadian culture starts with a culture that is proud to be Canadian and identifies with all aspects of its artistic, culinary, literary, humour, musical, political and social elements that are representative of Canada .
Go Habs Go!

Jambo, you actually used Canadian spelling - "humour"!

Old 05-12-2015, 06:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Go Habs Go!
Alright.. Now those are fighting words Jambo

Old 05-12-2015, 06:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,887,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
The "Merger of the Century" thread seems to have spun off into a discussion of English Canadian culture. So let's give that topic its own thread.

What is English Canadian culture? Is it the same from coast-to-coast? Is it more regional than national? Are there any cultural offerings that unite English Canadians? Are there any that divide them? What roles do the arts, sports, and general attitudes towards "Canadian culture" (however you define it) play in English Canadians' lives?

Let's discuss. We may not reach a consensus, but at least we won't be hijacking the "Merger of the Century" thread.
I hate to say it Chevy but i'm all spent when it comes to this from the Merger of the Century thread... lol...

Hey all I can say about Toronto's contribution to culture - well just look at the two in this car - I mean pound for pound doesn't get any more potent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOgqymeAcpA

Old 05-13-2015, 12:09 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times
Okay, Fusion, let's look at what's happening in Toronto.

When I lived there, I played music with a loose agglomeration of musicians that appeared in local pubs and bars. We played mostly Celtic/Maritime/Appalachian/Ottawa Valley music, with a lot of traditional instruments--fiddles and guitars, of course; but also tin whistles and bodhrans and spoons and bones and other instruments. We tried to turn every gathering into what Maritimers would call a "kitchen party," or if we were lucky, they'd call it a ceildlh (KAYED-lee)--an even better kitchen party.

On my trips to the Maritimes, I've played in Halifax with buskers on the docks, in jam sessions in a Halifax pub (and been invited back), and even joined in with the band in a St. John's pub and on the ferry between North Sydney NS and Argentia, Nfld.

But here in the west, nobody has heard of that stuff. I played Stan Rogers' "Mary Ellen Carter" for a group of local friends recently, and none had ever heard it. They loved the story that the song told, and a few were even inspired by it, but they all had no idea that the song even existed. Same for the Barra McNeils' work, for Tanglefoot's, for that of the Irish Descendants, and so on.

What they did know was country (Shania Twain, Terri Clark, and so on), oldies from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that their parents listened to, and local country artists. They are young people, so rap and hip-hop are also known. And some local bands of all stripes that appear weekly at various venues. But they had no idea of the music produced by eastern Canada.

Why is this? Why do Alberta's young people know nothing of the music of eastern Canada? At the same time, why hasn't eastern Canada embraced Alberta's country music (outside of international artists, like Terri Clark), or that of other western provinces?

What binds us? What divides us? Music seems to divide us; what else does?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:56 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:

When I lived there, I played music with a loose agglomeration of musicians that appeared in local pubs and bars. We played mostly Celtic/Maritime/Appalachian/Ottawa Valley music, with a lot of traditional instruments--fiddles and guitars, of course; but also tin whistles and bodhrans and spoons and bones and other instruments. We tried to turn every gathering into what Maritimers would call a "kitchen party," or if we were lucky, they'd call it a ceildlh (KAYED-lee)--an even better kitchen party.

On my trips to the Maritimes, I've played in Halifax with buskers on the docks, in jam sessions in a Halifax pub (and been invited back), and even joined in with the band in a St. John's pub and on the ferry between North Sydney NS and Argentia, Nfld.

But here in the west, nobody has heard of that stuff. I played Stan Rogers' "Mary Ellen Carter" for a group of local friends recently, and none had ever heard it. They loved the story that the song told, and a few were even inspired by it, but they all had no idea that the song even existed. Same for the Barra McNeils' work, for Tanglefoot's, for that of the Irish Descendants, and so on.

What they did know was country (Shania Twain, Terri Clark, and so on), oldies from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that their parents listened to, and local country artists. They are young people, so rap and hip-hop are also known. And some local bands of all stripes that appear weekly at various venues. But they had no idea of the music produced by eastern Canada.

Why is this? Why do Alberta's young people know nothing of the music of eastern Canada? At the same time, why hasn't eastern Canada embraced Alberta's country music (outside of international artists, like Terri Clark), or that of other western provinces?

What binds us? What divides us? Music seems to divide us; what else does?
Did you read my post re: Anne of Green Gables The Musical in the other thread? I was basically saying the same thing.

The east-west divide you describe is indeed real, and I find there are even blind spots within "Eastern Anglo Canada" and even inside Ontario itself, for example.

As I have said previously, I grew up in the three Maritime provinces and Ontario. We spoke French at home but I mostly went to English school. I was basically "socialized" as an English Canadian. In all my years living and going to school there (including in Ontario) I never heard of Stan Rogers until I believe I heard a CBC news report on the 10th anniversary of his death in that plane fire in the States.

So my "ignorance" of Stan Rogers isn't attributable to an east-west thing.

I never understood why most people from Nova Scotia, Ontario and Alberta would have in common a basic knowledge of, I dunno, "I'm Proud to be an Okie from Muskogee" but not a whole bunch of (Anglo-)Canadian stuff instead.

All of which to say I find that a lot of Canadians can have "blind spots" when it comes to certain things. And I suspect with increased immigration* in the major cities all across the country, there is going to be an even greater disconnect between Canadian culture and a bigger and bigger share of the country's population.

*Not blaming immigrants at all BTW, but criticizing the way they are socialized and culturally integrated by Canadian society, usually via American popular culture with only superficial snippets of Canadiana mixed in.

Last edited by Acajack; 05-13-2015 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 07:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Interesting site that lists much that is Canadian.
101 things that define Canada, and 20 that don't
I dont agree with their 20 that dont as they all appear the epitome of Canadianess to me.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:22 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Interesting site that lists much that is Canadian.
101 things that define Canada, and 20 that don't
I dont agree with their 20 that dont as they all appear the epitome of Canadianess to me.
The headline is improperly worded. It's not that these 20 things at the end don't define Canada, it's just that they didn't make the top 101.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:51 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,815,512 times
Quote:

What they did know was country (Shania Twain, Terri Clark, and so on)...
Shania - country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada