Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
They're the royal family for 16 countries/territories. So no it's not just a British thing.

And if you think that only the Canadian media is obsessing over it, you need to get out of your little bubble.
It is a British thing for the vast majority of human beings on earth, no matter how desperately one wants to associate Canada with those glamous Kings, Queens, Dukes and Lords.

Do you think some Japanese would think, wow, she will give birth to the future King of India? Do you constantly associate the royal family with India?

... Guess so. Same applies to Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,097,591 times
William and Catherine are duke and dutchess, not celebrities! They deserve peace and privacy in this complicated time for them. I pray for a comfortable delivery.

As for the abolition of the monarchy, speak for yourself. This Canadian is proud to live in a Commonwealth realm under the reign of Her Majesty the Queen and wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:19 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
All that being said about the monarchy and the Queen, I am quite sick of our media's obession with anything related to the "royal family"......
Good grief, you sound like all those wonkies south of your border who froth at the mouth about Michelle Obama. Try getting back in your bed and getting out on the other side.

It's Monday, surely you must have something else to do.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 PM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,097,591 times
Quote:
It is a British thing for the vast majority of human beings on earth, no matter how desperately one wants to associate Canada with those glamous Kings, Queens, Dukes and Lords.

Do you think some Japanese would think, wow, she will give birth to the future King of India? Do you constantly associate the royal family with India?

India hasn't been a Commonwealth realm for 63 years. You might want to brush up on your history before you go mocking monarchists.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,331,766 times
Just finished reading the paper here and not a thing about a baby. There was mention of Tina Turner marrying again though. I'm starting to develop an obsession with looking for a royal obsession in the papers and on our news. I did catch a Will and Kate Plus One on CNN Sunday night.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,957 times
Wink stop acting brand new.

Quote:

Of course nobody in Japan will think that she'll be giving birth to the future king of India, because they are not the Royal family of India.

Seriously, it doesn't matter if the whole universe is ignorant about this part of history, it still doesnt negate the fact that they are those countries royal families. Whether you like it or not.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
All that being said about the monarchy and the Queen, I am quite sick of our media's obession with anything related to the "royal family".

The excessive coverage of the royal wedding a couple of years ago, the fact she is pregnant and has a "royal bump", and the recent media attention of Kate's admission into the hospital... anyone else who is tired of it? Both the Toronto Star and the National Post had it as the cover story this morning, which makes me want to puke. Isn't there anything more important to report than something frivolous as guess whether it is a boy or girl, what name would it be etc? Who the f*** cares?

Kate Middleton is entering "early labour". Yeah, we got it. Big deal. There is no need for hundrends of reporters to lurk24/7 outside the hospital to report whether the woman is feeling dizzy and experiencing some sort of contraction. The journalists have in fact nothing to report but had to interview each other. Has our main stream media degenerated into a tabloid like this? Do Canadians really care about this that much? It is worth reporting - she might be having our future head of state, but doesn't it suffice to report after she delivers so that everyone knows she is safe and the offspring is a boy/girl? What's the point of all this minor details about a woman's labour?

Put an end to this. Canada has very little to do with the UK nowadays, why not cut the umbilical cord and focus on something that really matters.
What world do you live in? I stopped looking for links around the world because it was too easy. I also wouldn't judge a country by just what the media covers. It's a gong show for sure, but heck, modern day media is becoming that.

Brazil, Sao Paulo
Folha de S.Paulo - Mundo - Kate Middleton levada a hospital em Londres para dar luz - 22/07/2013

U.S.A.

Top 5 free apps to welcome the royal baby [PHOTOS] - latimes.com

Italy

«Royal Baby», iniziato il travaglioWilliam ha

France, Paris ( although the French like to appear disinterested by taking a different tact on the story, but still have several links about it.

Le "Guardian" propose un site expurg des informations sur le "royal baby"

Old 07-22-2013, 12:42 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,732,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
India hasn't been a Commonwealth realm for 63 years. You might want to brush up on your history before you go mocking monarchists.
I am not mocking monarchists. I am mocking those who think the royal family has anything to do with Canada.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:

........ I am quite sick ...... tired of it ...... makes me want to puke ...... Who the f*** cares ..... What's the point of all this ...... why not cut the umbilical cord and focus on something that really matters.
Like what? What else matters right now that is more positive and uplifting and may cause some happy excitement for so many people? Can you find some positive news to rave about instead of ranting so bitterly about the birth of a baby?

It's called Royal Fever, not Royal obsession. The eyes of the world are on the Royal family because the fairy tale quality of royal pomp and splendour is a reprieve for people from having to only focus on all of the ugly things happening in the world. The ugly things do matter but there's so much of it happening, we're inundated with negativity and ugly news 24/7, that if that's all that people were to focus on then life becomes a depressing drag and for many not even worth living. Everybody needs a break from that from time to time.

Botticelli, you of all people should understand that. It seems to me you have made it your mission in life to try to drag people further down into the muck and mire of depression. I don't think I have ever once seen you post something happy, positive and uplifting on this board. Now that a happy occassion is happening that excites so many millions of people around the world all you can do is complain about it and try to make people feel worse.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,600,316 times
I have no personal interest in the monarchy and I'm sure that many people that follow them around the world (including Canada) do it because they are more like celebrities and not because of the institution itself or the history behind it. It's human nature to be enamored by glamorous, rich and famous-types via entertainment news and this is more than just a Canadian thing. We also don't have an equivalent celebrity culture within Canada so it doesn't shock me that we follow others in the English-speaking world (UK or US) when "big" news occurs. I personally look up to and would go out of my way to follow the lives of people who contribute to and change the world like a Nelson Mandela or Steve Jobs, I feel these people have "earned" any type of celebrity status they have. But like I said, there will always be a huge market within the general populace for those who are famous for the family they are born into or strictly by the way they look, it's human nature and it won't keep me up at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada