Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It works best for SOME American's.....however, tourists are a NET LOSS to government revenues in almost all cases. So the taxpayers of Florida and Arizona pay to provide government services to Canadian snowbirds. If we had a snowbird tax on non-residents of say $1,000 month that would help make up the difference.

There are lots of Europeans, Asians and others that would love to visit the US. What's wrong with a little diversity in our visitors.

I saw a Canadian statistic that 15% of Canada leaves for the winter. That is a lot of people for American taxpayers to support!! We will skip our guests from Mexico for now.
Your argument makes little sense to me... could you give an example of what support American taxpayers provided to snowbirds? I simply do not understand. If they own houses, they pay property tax, if they shop, they pay sales tax. How does that become a burden?

Canada's winter weather is brutal, and I am not surprised by the 15%. I hope Canada can have a warm province in the south. Is any southern state/city/county interested in joining Canada? We give you Quebec for exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 12:32 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It works best for SOME American's.....however, tourists are a NET LOSS to government revenues in almost all cases. So the taxpayers of Florida and Arizona pay to provide government services to Canadian snowbirds. If we had a snowbird tax on non-residents of say $1,000 month that would help make up the difference.

There are lots of Europeans, Asians and others that would love to visit the US. What's wrong with a little diversity in our visitors.

I saw a Canadian statistic that 15% of Canada leaves for the winter. That is a lot of people for American taxpayers to support!! We will skip our guests from Mexico for now.
Can you explain how Canadian Snowbirds to the U.S. are a drain on the U.S. taxpayer? What services are they using and not paying for?

Also where did you get the stat of 15 percent of Canada leaving for the winter? Is that including all Canadians who travel out of country in the winter months or people who stay for a specific period of time? What percentage of that 15 percent actually goes to the U.S. as opposed to Mexico, Cost Rica etc?

Old 07-31-2013, 03:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Strange that I can't access that website even on my laptop. Always get the message that cookies must be enabled, but mine are....so.....
It's not just you, that link wouldn't work for me either and I got the same message that cookies must be enabled. But it says right on the link address that login is required so maybe the OP was logged in when she copied it.

Anyway, what I did was I went to google and used the title for the search "Immigrant bill could allow Canadians longer stays, boost Arizona economy" and had several news articles about it came up including the one the OP posted (which worked when I clicked on that) and the one that I posted. So here is the same article the OP posted which I got through google. It should work for you.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...nclick_check=1

Old 07-31-2013, 03:24 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I couldn't help asking, regarding 6months and healthcare coverage, how would your province know that you are away from Canada for seven months?

Suppose you stayed in the US for 7 months and come back, and go to see a doctor. How would the doctor know you are not eligible for healthcare benefits any more? You probably don't even have a stamp on your passport, and even if you do, no doctor will check your passport

I wonder at that stage will the healthcare provider detect you were away for too long.
I could be wrong but I think that refers to medical care and coverage that a Canadian visitor might need while they're out of Canada, not the medical care they're eligible for in Canada.

As it stands now if you are away for 6 months or less your Canadian insurance covers medical care gotten while away in other countries, but if you extend your stay beyond 6 months you aren't covered, you have to pay your medical care beyond that time limit out of your own pocket or through extra travellers medical insurance that you purchased before leaving the country. For example, if I was going to go on a world tour and I knew I was going to be away from Canada for 18 months I would need to purchase additional travellers health insurance to cover the extra 12 months, or pay out of pocket for any health care needed after 6 months away.

It wouldn't be the doctors that checked your passport or enquired about how long you were away, it would be the insurance provider that checks it to confirm your eligibility for coverage. It wouldn't be hard for the insurance provider to find out when you left Canada and when you returned.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-31-2013 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's not just you, that link wouldn't work for me either and I got the same message that cookies must be enabled. But it says right on the link address that login is required so maybe the OP was logged in when she copied it.

Anyway, what I did was I went to google and used the title for the search "Immigrant bill could allow Canadians longer stays, boost Arizona economy" and had several news articles about it came up including the one the OP posted (which worked when I clicked on that) and the one that I posted. So here is the same article the OP posted which I got through google. It should work for you.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...nclick_check=1

I get the same need cookies enabled message on your link as with the other one.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I could be wrong but I think that refers to medical care and coverage that a Canadian visitor might need while they're out of Canada, not the medical care they're eligible for in Canada.

As it stands now if you are away for 6 months or less your Canadian insurance covers medical care gotten while away in other countries, but if you extend your stay beyond 6 months you aren't covered, you have to pay your medical care beyond that time limit out of your own pocket or through extra travellers medical insurance that you purchased before leaving the country. For example, if I was going to go on a world tour and I knew I was going to be away from Canada for 18 months I would need to purchase additional travellers health insurance to cover the extra 12 months, or pay out of pocket for any health care needed after 6 months away.

It wouldn't be the doctors that checked your passport or enquired about how long you were away, it would be the insurance provider that checks it to confirm your eligibility for coverage. It wouldn't be hard for the insurance provider to find out when you left Canada and when you returned.

Maybe this is a provincial difference but what we're always told is that Manitoba Health will cover out of province medical costs UP TO the amount it would cost if the health issue had occurred in Manitoba. In other words, if a Manitoban had an accident in BC, which has higher health care costs, that difference would come out of the Manitoban's pocket. But I don't know of anyone this has actually happened to.

And it is the same for the US - except the difference between what Manitoba Health covers versus what a US hospital might charge would be significant.

We're told we 'should' get Blue Cross or similar coverage when travelling out of province even within Canada but I don't know of anyone who actually does this. I don't know of anyone though who doesn't get supplementary coverage when travelling to the US. It's fairly cheap unless you are over, I think 55, and have a pre-existing health condition. Then it becomes really expensive.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Strange that I can't access that website even on my laptop. Always get the message that cookies must be enabled, but mine are....so.....
Weird I can just click on it and there is no login for me.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Canada's winter weather is brutal, and I am not surprised by the 15%. I hope Canada can have a warm province in the south. Is any southern state/city/county interested in joining Canada? We give you Quebec for exchange.
I wish we opened borders between US and Canada, then I would move to Quebec.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Weird I can just click on it and there is no login for me.

I searched via Google and could finally read the link. I think there *may* be a mistake in saying that Manitobans are allowed to stay for 7 months without losing their health care coverage. The Manitoba Health website says 183 days (6 months) and this CTV link lists a correction to 6 months from 7 months. Maybe the snowbirds organisation got ahead of themselves and posted incorrect information and then the news agencies picked it up. It's a little confusing and I would certainly check with Manitoba Health first, were I someone contemplating staying for longer than 6 months.

I don't know anyone personally who would take advantage of that though for reasons of the Arizona summer and a preference for summer here.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
I wish we opened borders between US and Canada, then I would move to Quebec.
I like the borders just fine as they are, however its an interesting concept, after the dust settles i wonder just how many Canadians would move to the USA and how many Americans would Move to Canada.
As an aside Jews for Jesus you seem really keen on coming to Canada particularly Quebec, Have you started the paperwork to achieve that goal?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index-can.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada