Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times

Advertisements

So I had a meeting yesterday with a very interesting person from the Canada Arizona Business Council regarding future growth/expansion of Canadian companies coming into Arizona. I know there are quite a few and the interest seems to be growing as mining opportunities become available in Southern AZ/Northern Mexico, Aerospace and Natural Resource companies are looking at AZ as well...I know there are some infrastructure challenges that need to be overcome but the question came up regarding how Canadians view Arizona.

So the question is...for Canadians that are thinking about or have relocated/visit AZ regularly...what was your perception of AZ prior to coming here, how has that changed (if at all) and if you can share any views of how friends in Canada still perceive AZ that would be great as well.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 PM

261 posts, read 513,216 times
I am confused. Why would a Canadian be interested in Arizona. I live one state over from it and its still to far for me. I don't see the interest at all--especially with Nevada being right their.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,242,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I am confused. Why would a Canadian be interested in Arizona. I live one state over from it and its still to far for me. I don't see the interest at all--especially with Nevada being right their.
For me it's the climate for sure, and then the incredibly low cost of living. Next, the lower volume of traffic in the bigger cities and who knows what else but I'm sure there are more areas of interest.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,349,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
The interest is with older people, retired usually, who go there for the dryer, milder weather, and the fact that Arizona is very cheap. And golf. Not being a golfer, I wouldn't know. And recently, when the housing market collapsed, a lot of people I know, who don't necessarily fit into the retired category have bought second homes there. Arizona has actively marketed itself in my province which probably explains the choice as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,451,423 times
I think Arizona is beautiful. Does that count? lol

Old 01-16-2014, 04:48 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,106,561 times
Superficial impressions:

- near-perfect climate during the wintertime
- fascinating scenery
- enviable lifestyle
- weird, sometimes scary politics
- has no business having an NHL hockey team

Old 01-16-2014, 07:02 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,602,334 times
I've been there several times for business so I know a little more than most Canadians, who probably have never been. I think:

-Beautiful landscape
-Scottsdale is fun, with cool restaurants & nightlife
-Grand Canyon
-Close to Vegas
-Growth and potential
-Real estate crash
-Dry heat
-Low Cost of Living
-Mid-sized sprawling cities with lots of space
-Amazing golfing
-Not as exciting and fun as California
-Big Mexican population
-John McCain & border guards
-Friendly, laidback atmosphere
-Low taxes

I think some Canadians would like living there and some would not if that's what your thinking. The weather, low cost of living, golfing/scenery, and laid back lifestyle would be attractive to some people. It feels like a more family-friendly place though.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,745,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Superficial impressions:

- near-perfect climate during the wintertime
- fascinating scenery
- enviable lifestyle
- weird, sometimes scary politics
- has no business having an NHL hockey team
Not sure about that. Except for being cheap and warm in winter, I am not there is much to envy.
And there are a lot of cheap place with warm winters in the world.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,106,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Not sure about that. Except for being cheap and warm in winter, I am not there is much to envy.
And there are a lot of cheap place with warm winters in the world.
Maybe not to you and me, but to a lot of people AZ has an enviable lifestyle. It is also (relatively) safer and more familiar to Canadians that most other cheap and warm places.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:40 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,164,631 times
Thanks for the feedback...and I know this is a relocation forum...but you may find it interesting that Canada and Arizona currently trade (bilaterally and excluding Tourism) about $3.9B (USD) per year. Additionally, the total Canadian footprint in AZ is $6B (USD) and growing. Primarily this is Aerospace investment but lately there has been in increasing interest in mining and natural resources.

Again...thank you for your responses, I will keep them in mind when speaking to this group again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada