Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:15 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Ahhh, I understand everything completely now, thank you for the crystal clear explanation of events leading up to your decision to inform and educate obnoxious Americans. I suspect that the good citizens of the country of Canada provide quite a few favors to the citizens of America as well as the country as a whole. I also suspect, that, perhaps is why (in response to the OP) there are fewer American tourists in the last ten years...we are simply ashamed of oursleves.

Let me be the first to offer an apology for myself (as an American citizen) and on behalf of America and Americans everywhere. I suspect, however, that I could offer alms asking for mercy (ἐλεημοσύνη) for ALL that America is guilty of (in the past, presently, and in the future), every single day and it would be for nought.

It is sad to me that according to the Canadian AND world view, there is no virtue or endearing quality to be said of America or her citizens and yet...

Well, let's leave it at that, shall we?

God Bless Canada, our dearest neighbor AND America as well, as it appears she will need all the blessings she can get.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
I think you have a chip on your shoulder or you are taking this way too personally. There is nothing wrong in someone telling people that using a countries currency is not only sound fiscal advice but also shows some respect for the country you're visiting.

Just because a few stories about Americans having issues with using CDN in Canada doesn't in anyway shape or form suggest that ALL Americans are obnoxious and CS never said it, so your " snarky " ( this time the written word DID convey it ) apology is out of place.

Anyone who has worked in retail or with tourists in Canada will tell you that the obnoxious stories are not the majority. However the tourists who are in these stories are all American. Tourists from other parts of the world seem to grasp that you use CDN while in Canada, and if a business does take USD it IS doing it on it's own volition.
Remember CS is speaking ONLY the those Americans who may not know why some business take USD or to those who have been obnoxious ( and I've personally have dealt with them ).

If you are wondering why Canadians ( go to a travel forum and look up Americans questions on using USD in Canada ) seem a little sensitive it's a respect thing.

Visiting a country and then having someone insult your currency by calling it monopoly money, or not real money, or demanding a business take USD when they don't, getting riled up because you paid in USD and got change in CDN etc is an obnoxious thing to do.

Again, this is NOT the majority, but these stories are bound to come when when tourists, USD and Canada are talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,195 times
When I go to Canada, I take Canadian money and/or traveler checks in Canadian funds because I get the best exchange rate here.

That said, there's the other side of the coin (no pun intended)......

My Wife manages a retail clothing store at a large factory outlet center where Canadians come by the bus load - presumably because there is no tax on clothing in Pennsylvania.

I won't relate to anyone here the stories she tells because neither of us view them as indicative of Canadians on the whole.

I suspect that the few obnoxious American tourists in Canada fall into the same category.

BTW: the only exception I took to that person's rant was his incorrect assumptions about the counterfeiting of US currency.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 12:40 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
When I go to Canada, I take Canadian money and/or traveler checks in Canadian funds because I get the best exchange rate here.

My Wife manages a retail clothing store at a large factory outlet center where Canadians come by the bus load - presumably because there is no tax on clothing in Pennsylvania.

I won't relate to anyone here the stories she tells because neither of us view them as indicative of Canadians on the whole.

I suspect that the few obnoxious American tourists in Canada fall into the same category.

BTW: the only exception I took to that person's rant was his incorrect assumptions about the counterfeiting of US currency.

Posted with TapaTalk
I think anyone who has worked retail has seen the worst in people. I try to be the perfect customer after my very short time in retail.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:

Posted with TapaTalk
I'll get flack for this, but I find a lot of Canadian regular cross border shoppers can be in a class of their own.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:56 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,460 times
Why does Canada not eliminate taxes on shoes and clothing on some provinces? That way Canadians will not have to shop in NYC NJ PA or MA, or included taxes on price tag like in Europe.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:26 PM

More on topic.....

I must admit, I do travel less to Canada than I used to.

Probably the main reason is because of the extra scrutiny at the border since 911. They make me very nervous even though I know I am perfectly legal.

The last time I crossed back into the USA, the border agent even gave me a hard time over not having a front license plate. I found that ridiculous for an agent in NY not to know that Pennsylvania doesn't issue front plates.

It's a shame because I really love Canada. I hate hot humid weather, so I don't go South. I've played and have been a hockey fan all my life, so I used to stock up on sticks, skates, and equipment at a better price there. And since I speak French, going to Montreal is like a European vacation without leaving North America (I try to go to the Canadian Grand Prix annually).

Speaking of hockey....... I am involved with youth hockey and our local organization no longer goes to tournaments in Canada because it's too hard to make sure every kid on multiple age teams have a passport. That's a shame since we'd rent a block of rooms and of course we'd be patronizing restaurants and such while we were there.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
More on topic.....

Probably the main reason is because of the extra scrutiny at the border since 911. They make me very nervous even though I know I am perfectly legal.

The last time I crossed back into the USA, the border agent even gave me a hard time over not having a front license plate. I found that ridiculous for an agent in NY not to know that Pennsylvania doesn't issue front plates.

It's a shame because I really love Canada. I hate hot humid weather, so I don't go South. I've played and have been a hockey fan all my life, so I used to stock up on sticks, skates, and equipment at a better price there. And since I speak French, going to Montreal is like a European vacation without leaving North America (I try to go to the Canadian Grand Prix annually).

Speaking of hockey....... I am involved with youth hockey and our local organization no longer goes to tournaments in Canada because it's too hard to make sure every kid on multiple age teams have a passport. That's a shame since we'd rent a block of rooms and of course we'd be patronizing restaurants and such while we were there.

Posted with TapaTalk
After 9/11 I too curtailed visits to the US and when flying to Mexico made sure I had flights that did not stop in the US on the way, just so I wouldn't have to endure the gestapo like actions of some border guards.

Now, it seems better. Most guards seem a bit more relaxed and I guess having passports or other new documents makes their job a bit easier as well.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
More on topic.....

Posted with TapaTalk
Everything changed on both sides of the border when it came to travel after 9/11. I think it may be picking up but I do wonder how much spur of the moment travel is down with the passport or enhanced ID requirements.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
I think the passport requirement is one of the biggest deterrents. Maybe many see that and automatically cross Canada off the list. Only around 30% of Americans have passports.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I think the passport requirement is one of the biggest deterrents. Maybe many see that and automatically cross Canada off the list. Only around 30% of Americans have passports.
......not to mention that getting a passport now takes longer, is tougher, and the cost has skyrocketed!

I never really understood why it costs as much as it does just to prove you are a citizen.

It only costs me a stamp to mail in my tax cheques!

Posted with TapaTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada