Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 01:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,531,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Oh? Canada has 2.5 million crimes over a population of 34 million people, whereas the US Census Bureau reports 11.8 million crimes over a population of 309 million. Therefore, Canada has 7300 crimes per 100,000 people while the US has 3819 crimes per 100,000. The last time I checked 7 was bigger than 3.
And what Canada universally considers a crime, such as DUI, that adds significantly to those figures, America merely considers a do-over.

Canada:
Canada's Drunk and Impaired Driving Laws
USA:
DWI/DUI Laws of U.S. States

So; here's the study you refer to. Note the number of categories and the severity of those categories the USA is number-uno at?

Canada vs United States Crime Stats Compared

Then there is this little nugget of 3.4 million crimes per year going unreported in the U.S. I'd surmise that would significantly chip away at your 7 greater then 3 deduction as well as those being of a predominantly violent nature as shown.

http://ojp.gov/newsroom/pressrelease...jppr080912.pdf

Top Stories - More than 3 Million Violent Crimes in U.S. go Unreported Every Year - AllGov - News

https://www.rainn.org/get-informatio...eporting-rates

Canada having more crime per capita than the U.S.A....nope; that dog ain't gonna hunt!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:07 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,754,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje1 View Post
Well to be quite blunt the US excels where Canada appears mediocre. American technology is paralleled only by Japanese minds. The Americans put men on the moon in the 1960's where most countries have failed to catch up. Americans dominate in sports. Americans have shaped the world into it's most peaceful era since the Roman Empire (and liberated my own country from Nazi occupation). Whenever there are starving children in the world, the bulk of the humanitarian aid comes from the Americans. They have also set the standard for world culture in the arts (music, Tv). While on television the Americans are presented as an arrogant and ignorant folk, I find in reality that they are quite humble and open to new ideas. They have a special knack for selecting the best traits of other cultures and combining them with their culture. I believe that Canada's greatest asset is it's close association with the USA. It is a "lucky" nation so to speak. But I also am not as familiar with Canada as the USA.
of course all are true. Canada has 35M people, smaller than Spain. How important do you expect it to be.

Although I don't agree with your last argument. I think the greatest misfortune of Canada is to be located right next to the US, and worse, share the same language. If Canada were somewhere else or didn't speak English it might have a chance to form some Canadian culture.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:31 PM

91 posts, read 117,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
of course all are true. Canada has 35M people, smaller than Spain. How important do you expect it to be.

Although I don't agree with your last argument. I think the greatest misfortune of Canada is to be located right next to the US, and worse, share the same language. If Canada were somewhere else or didn't speak English it might have a chance to form some Canadian culture.
Had Canada been located elsewhere, it would be far poorer. Imagine if Canada was in Latin America, or next to Russia or India. Canada benefits immensely by being located next to the US and is totally reliant on the US economy. I think 80-90% of all exports go to the US and at least half of imports come from the US. So yes, Canada totally depends on the US economy and generosity. Canada doesn't have to worry about defense for example, the US will always protect them. This is why the Canadians can speak of being "peaceful". In terms of trivial things like having a different accent or radically different culture, Canada does suffer from being next to the US. But look at Australia, far from the US. They still have a very similar culture. All of these cultures are British by descent. So they tend to be similar regardless of how distant apart they are geographically. Without being next to the US, Canada would be subject to invasions, foreign intervention, world politics. It couldn't maintain it's cozy position as a US protectorate. I font mean to be condescending but Canada is a country that has not distinguished itself in anyway (like the US, Japan, Germany, France, Uk,) and it relies entirely on US generosity and ties. I mean look at the Americans. They take people from China and Korea who work hard, and these people become the top of the US society. Rich, smart, respected. In Canada Asians always appear to be "lesser" than whites no matter how much they excel. This is probably why Asian Americans are a resounding success and well respected, while Asian Canadians are blamed as being lazy and living off of their parent's money in Vancouver. It is two different mentalities. Americans celebrate hard work and achievement, while Canadians are jealous and envious of those who succeed.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:42 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,656,307 times
Quote:
Americans have shaped the world into it's most peaceful era since the Roman Empire (and liberated my own country from Nazi occupation).
It was the Canadians that liberated your country from the Nazis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And what Canada universally considers a crime, such as DUI, that adds significantly to those figures, America merely considers a do-over.
Good point about different laws, but remember that El Gordo got in much bigger trouble in Hawaii than he would have in BC because the drunk driving laws are more strict.

Some of your other stats are misleading because many of your stats are using absolutes instead of per capita. Canada does have a lower murder rate (thanks in large part to lower gang violence), but it sure isn't 1/23rd that of the USA.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Had Canada been located elsewhere, it would be far poorer. Imagine if Canada was in Latin America, or next to Russia or India. Canada benefits immensely by being located next to the US and is totally reliant on the US economy. I think 80-90% of all exports go to the US and at least half of imports come from the US. So yes, Canada totally depends on the US economy and generosity. Canada doesn't have to worry about defense for example, the US will always protect them. This is why the Canadians can speak of being "peaceful". In terms of trivial things like having a different accent or radically different culture, Canada does suffer from being next to the US. But look at Australia, far from the US. They still have a very similar culture. All of these cultures are British by descent. So they tend to be similar regardless of how distant apart they are geographically. Without being next to the US, Canada would be subject to invasions, foreign intervention, world politics. It couldn't maintain it's cozy position as a US protectorate. I font mean to be condescending but Canada is a country that has not distinguished itself in anyway (like the US, Japan, Germany, France, Uk,) and it relies entirely on US generosity and ties. I mean look at the Americans. They take people from China and Korea who work hard, and these people become the top of the US society. Rich, smart, respected. In Canada Asians always appear to be "lesser" than whites no matter how much they excel. This is probably why Asian Americans are a resounding success and well respected, while Asian Canadians are blamed as being lazy and living off of their parent's money in Vancouver. It is two different mentalities. Americans celebrate hard work and achievement, while Canadians are jealous and envious of those who succeed.
what you said is all accurate. When I say misfortune, I meant from a cultural perspective.

Although I don't agree Canada speak of "peaceful". At least not the current Canada. It sounds more belligerent than the US regarding many international issues and conflicts. It is less heard only because nobody pays any attention about what Ottawa is barking about.

My position is, if Canada can't fight a war on its own, then just shut up. It talks tough only because it knows it will only play a small role and the US will always protect it. I mean, can Canada even win a war against Iran/Syria on its own? I doubt it.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,611,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A total tangent, but I've often wondered, can kids really damage your lawn simply by walking on it? I am talking about a kid going on your lawn to retrieve their kite or their ball, not about 200 high schoolers using your lawn as a shortcut every morning and every afternoon.
I doubt they can and I love kids so in reality I wouldn't be shouting at them or getting them off my lawn...that is, if I had a lawn.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
There are some exceptions but I have a hard time believing that people don't come to Canada for more rights and freedoms.. For example my husband came here for exactly the reasons I specified.. Try being gay in Venezuela and get back to me about it! He has a higher QOL now because he has more rights and freedoms + opportunities not less so not sure why Canadians would be living in denial about such things really. Sure, Canada isn't the only country that offers much to those who immigrate but its up there.

I'm not sure i'd want to hang my hat in HK or Shanghai even if I could make more money in those places.. I think the economic opportunities are there in a country like China because it is the second largest economy in the world now and there are over 1.2 Billion people but bastions of progressive and advanced human rights/freedoms - not so much.
I know a few gay people who have come to Canada for dare I say it..freedom, including a few Americans.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
wrong.

Canada has a higher life expectancy.
Canada has lower crime rate.
Canada is more educated (ranked much higher on the PISA exam).
Canadian cities have high quality of life (admittedly it is subjective).

The list can go on and on.
Why Botti !!! I'm proud of you.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Why Botti !!! I'm proud of you.
I am not a Canada hater as many of you think (nor a cheerleader like fusion2, LOL).
I just want to be unbiased and talk about things objectively.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I am not a Canada hater as many of you think (nor a cheerleader like fusion2, LOL).
I just want to be unbiased and talk about things objectively.
We are all biased I'm afraid. However as much as I go to battle against you and your posts, I will admit that these threads would be less, if you weren't here.

Now I'm going back to being crotchety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada