Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 12:03 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,912,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Yes, I agreed that the US has more interesting landscape. The US is a blessed country. As I said, other large countries such as China, Australia and Russia are not that blessed either. Canada is especially unfortunately because it is stuck at a very high latitude and 90% of the country is too harsh to human beings to live.

I don't agree Canada is more suburban than the US. Of course the US has more urban centres, that's because it has a much larger population. Percentage wise, the US is as suburban as Canada, and maybe a bit more. What's so urban between the east and west Coast? What's so urban about North and South Carolina?

Slow, yes. I find people in Toronto walk every slowly, not to mention the rest of Canada.
Not that this thread has anything to do with landscapes, but you may want to actually become familiar with the geographic landscapes of Canada outside of Southern Ontario - it is a big country and quite diverse in that regard.. Google search the Alberta Badlands for instance and the last place in the world you'd think you were in would be Canada.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-10-2014 at 12:24 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,912,809 times
al
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

Fusion, what you said I agree with on principle and respect anyone who abides by those standards. The question is, how many of us actually live by those principles 100% of the time? If we struck nations or groups that have committed human rights violations off our list of places to go or support, we basically could not go anywhere.

Do you take to task your friends in Toronto when they hop on a plane and go to Cuba for a week? Castro's view on homosexuality evolved in his later years, but the treatment of gays in Cuba was terrible for many years. Should we also encourage people not to visit Jamaica? Time Magazine named Jamaica the most homophobic country on earth and some gays are granted asylum based on sexual orientation because the situation is so terrible. I recall you personally love visiting Thailand, what about the turning of a blind eye towards sex trafficking of underage girls and pedophilia? Should we stop visiting Bangkok? Even in your own country we see a tainted history of treatment towards the First Nations community and even in your own city the carding of young black males and racial profiling. See where I am going with this?

Not that I have to defend myself to you, but do you have any idea what type of projects I work on in the Middle East or what I am working on currently? Here is a link to my company's website and the project I am assigned to: (Health System Development for the National Healthcare System of Qatar | Partners International) This project is advancing the treatment options available to women in Qatar. This has been an under served and under treated group for many years and it feels pretty good to have a small part in improving those conditions for women. Don't get me wrong, I am no Saint. The pay is good, bonuses very healthy and career advancement possibilities endless and that is a major motivation. None of us are more holy than the other at the end of the day.
I'm not sure why you have taken such a personal reaction to this.. As a matter of fact I think it is absolutely wonderful that someone would work for a company that is actually going to help people in various parts of the world - so if you find that this represents value in your life, you feel good about it than by all means I not only wish you well but respect the line of work you do.. In my case, I don't think the job i'd be doing in Dubai would be as noble and I personally think it would do more to benefit the Aviation industry in another country as opposed to my own and I feel better personally making my industry grow right here.

When I say I want to support Canada and make it stronger it is of course because it is the country of my birth, the country that has freely supported my marriage to a same sex partner, allowed me to sponsor him and save him from a life in a country where his options were limited - particularly as a young gay man... Does this mean I think it is an idealistic model of national perfection (does not exist) - of course not!

I said this is another post to Hobbes that I actually respect certain values in other societies and in particular a sense of community that I find we lack in the U.S and Canada but I also know so many others in these countries where their options are limited and they can actually go to JAIL if they want to freely live the life they really want of their own accord and not through external forces.. They are DESPERATE to get away from that and it isn't just limited to gays in many many cases..

Having said all that, of course I will travel and meet people from other places and learn from them as they do from me - the greatest form of diplomacy is through travel.. Sure I support some dubious regimes with my tourist dollars - but I also help people on the street, take my friends out for dinner and drinks - something they can't easily afford in many cases, we laugh and cry together and of course engage in my passion for travel. With all that said, ultimately I do think that my country deserves my long term and enduring support and for me this feels right on so many levels.. It not arrogance or a superiority complex either it is my own personal roots and I'm not ashamed to say such - that I am on the whole proud of what the country represents as a people (not all form of politics, particularly the Foreign Affairs of the current Federal Gvmt). Does this mean i'll never travel - of course not and the list of countries I've visited in 38 years is only the beginning.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-10-2014 at 12:40 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 04:19 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,348,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
al

I'm not sure why you have taken such a personal reaction to this.. As a matter of fact I think it is absolutely wonderful that someone would work for a company that is actually going to help people in various parts of the world - so if you find that this represents value in your life, you feel good about it than by all means I not only wish you well but respect the line of work you do.. In my case, I don't think the job i'd be doing in Dubai would be as noble and I personally think it would do more to benefit the Aviation industry in another country as opposed to my own and I feel better personally making my industry grow right here.

When I say I want to support Canada and make it stronger it is of course because it is the country of my birth, the country that has freely supported my marriage to a same sex partner, allowed me to sponsor him and save him from a life in a country where his options were limited - particularly as a young gay man... Does this mean I think it is an idealistic model of national perfection (does not exist) - of course not!

I said this is another post to Hobbes that I actually respect certain values in other societies and in particular a sense of community that I find we lack in the U.S and Canada but I also know so many others in these countries where their options are limited and they can actually go to JAIL if they want to freely live the life they really want of their own accord and not through external forces.. They are DESPERATE to get away from that and it isn't just limited to gays in many many cases..

Having said all that, of course I will travel and meet people from other places and learn from them as they do from me - the greatest form of diplomacy is through travel.. Sure I support some dubious regimes with my tourist dollars - but I also help people on the street, take my friends out for dinner and drinks - something they can't easily afford in many cases, we laugh and cry together and of course engage in my passion for travel. With all that said, ultimately I do think that my country deserves my long term and enduring support and for me this feels right on so many levels.. It not arrogance or a superiority complex either it is my own personal roots and I'm not ashamed to say such - that I am on the whole proud of what the country represents as a people (not all form of politics, particularly the Foreign Affairs of the current Federal Gvmt). Does this mean i'll never travel - of course not and the list of countries I've visited in 38 years is only the beginning.
Well, I think you have a strong streak of nobility running through you. I think you're great! (Couldn't rep as I have to spread the rep love around.)

Old 10-10-2014, 04:23 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,348,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Not that this thread has anything to do with landscapes, but you may want to actually become familiar with the geographic landscapes of Canada outside of Southern Ontario - it is a big country and quite diverse in that regard.. Google search the Alberta Badlands for instance and the last place in the world you'd think you were in would be Canada.
I have often thought I'd like to take Botticelli on a cross-country drive to get him out of the Centre of the Universe but alas, with critters to take care of, it's not that easy for me to leave any more. And I think on a long drive, Botticelli and I might fight a lot. (Laughing to myself)

Old 10-10-2014, 07:43 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Regarding the acceptance of different values in different cultures and countries...

I am pretty open to almost anything, but there is some stuff I simply cannot accept or have justified simply as a "cultural difference". On those issues, western values/ways of doing things are clearly superior and desirable. (Note that there are also certian ways of doing things in other countries that are arguably better than how we do them in the west.)

I don't think that any of this makes me intolerant at all, but if people think that of me, so be it. I'm not going to back down.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,744,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Regarding the acceptance of different values in different cultures and countries...

I am pretty open to almost anything, but there is some stuff I simply cannot accept or have justified simply as a "cultural difference". On those issues, western values/ways of doing things are clearly superior and desirable. (Note that there are also certian ways of doing things in other countries that are arguably better than how we do them in the west.)

I don't think that any of this makes me intolerant at all, but if people think that of me, so be it. I'm not going to back down.

there are many things the west, particularly US and Canada are doing absolutely the worse.

Energy consumption for example. Excessive use of dishwashers and dryers. Car dependency.

Another thing is how the old people are treated here. I mean children don't seem to have any responsibility of taking care of their old parents, and just leave it to the society (taxpayers). Many young people only care about their own small family and see or call their parents once every six months or less.

In many cultures elsewhere, if the adult children don't live with and take care of their old parents personally, they will be despised.

There are a lot of things the westerns don't realize how bad they are, but always choose to criticize other cultures for be different.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:00 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,101,661 times
Quote:
there are many things the west, particularly US and Canada are doing absolutely the worse.

Energy consumption for example. Excessive use of dishwashers and dryers. Car dependency.

Another thing is how the old people are treated here. I mean children don't seem to have any responsibility of taking care of their old parents, and just leave it to the society (taxpayers). Many young people only care about their own small family and see or call their parents once every six months or less.

In many cultures elsewhere, if the adult children don't live with and take care of their old parents personally, they will be despised.

There are a lot of things the westerns don't realize how bad they are, but always choose to criticize other cultures for be different.
Good examples.

I think you know what I was talking about when I was referring to things the west was doing better.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,602,169 times
Quote:

One major cultural difference that you've touched upon that I've been exposed to is the difference between collective and individualistic approaches to life. I admit that I more individualistic in mindset and lifestyle but in collective cultures, families stick together for the long haul. Children stay will parents into adulthood and take older parents in when they are older. This would not fly in western culture for most. Some cultures are also very clannish, they stick together by nature and like to discuss and make decisions as a group, even if slower. In western culture, you are expected to make a decision on your own. Respect for elders is another one, not that elders are not respected but it's taken to another level in other non-western cultures. On the flip side, individualistic cultures tend to be much more wealthy and progressive than collective ones so one can look at them, and say they are not efficient, effective or encourage self-sustaining traits. Again, not necessarily right or wrong, but just different.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:07 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,602,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Fair enough, we are all products of our environment. For many around the world, there are many aspect of western culture that are unacceptable as well. Being from a wealthy country, there are things you or I will never fully understand but I try my best to remain open-minded and tell myself I could of been born anywhere else on the globe and have a totally different mindset. I am working with a vendor in India right now and am losing my mind to be honest with some of their business practices.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Quote:

Wow! When do those children start looking after myself and my significant other, can you give us a date as I will gol-dang guarantee you I will not then bother worrying about transferring all of my registered retirement funds to a RIF, but will spend it all instead.

You talk about all of this stuff through the eyes of some person without any degree of ability to travel around and engage people of all ages.

I can assure you that a significant number of seniors born my generation have no wish to just "Leave our care to the taxpayer" and have instead been brought up with the admonishment still prevalent in our memories of our parents constantly claiming their desire to NOT being a burden upon their progeny, EVER!

We were imbued with this ethic to the extent that on my rural street of 8 houses on 1/3 acre lots, fully five of them are occupied by retired couples or widows who are completely self sustaining.

These are all people who worked their entire lives and have raised families, put their children through higher education, paid off their mortgages, bought and drive current vehicles, take the occasional trip, pay all the appropriate property taxes to sustain an education system no longer personally accessed, pay income taxes on their retirement incomes and in short are probably still to this very day, net contributors to the "system" to a greater degree than you are.

Stop with the generalizations garnered from your rather myopic view of the world as seen through your apartment window overlooking a Toronto streetscape.

Last edited by BruSan; 10-10-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.