Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 07:55 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,752,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
I think westerners apply a western moral code to the rest of the world plus the media sensationalizes differences and different socio economic circumstances are just not comprehendible to people in the west. So what if people want to wear a hijab. So what if some people want an arranged marriage. So what if some people eat intestines or bugs. So what if some people hold a cow as sacred. So what if some people are open to one-night stands and some are not. Etc. Not everyone in this world is wrong or lesser just because they don't think, act and dress like a westerner. I wouldn't dismiss an entire region or culture just because it is different or I can't comprehend some aspects in my eyes. That being said, I think people should respect the local culture of where they live and do have some more onus to adapt to it than it does to adapt to them.
I hope every westerner is as open minded as you are!
Too often western countries apply their own standards and morals to the entire world, as if anything different is simply backwards and not progressive enough.

An example is that western countries/people seem to think any other country that doesn't have the western "democracy" is simply doing something wrong and keep pointing fingers at them. We should all know different countries have vastly different historic burden and culture, and should have the right to choose the path that suit them best. To force western value on everyone sometimes only lead to chaos and poverty. Today's India vs. China come to mind.

Double standard is another example. While everyone accuses Iran/North Korea of possessing or developing nuclear weapon, everyone seems to be fine with the US, UK, France etc. holding massive amount of MDW, as if since the owners are considered good guys, it is OK. The fact is the same standard should apply to every country. You can't possess the world's largest MDW and forbids others from having it.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:34 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,442,123 times
I think that morality, i.e. what's right and what's wrong should not change depending on the culture or region or religion. I am not sure how a symbol of oppression in Iran can become a symbol for freedom in Canada.

We have debated this issue till death on this very forum.

For those who want a hear a great Ted Talk on this very issue:
Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions | Talk Video | TED.com

Old 10-09-2014, 12:52 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,844,380 times
If I was canadian I would also move to America.... other than Montreal what is there to see in Canada?

Toronto = suburbias and shopping malls
vancouver = suburbias, asian folks and shopping malls
winnipeg = oh god
alberta = pukes

the landscapes? you can find those landscapes EVERYWHERE ON THIS PLANET!!!

I mean canada is kinda cold, boring and too pc for me!

I am not an American though but I think the Us is far superior

Old 10-09-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
If I was canadian I would also move to America.... other than Montreal what is there to see in Canada?

Toronto = suburbias and shopping malls
vancouver = suburbias, asian folks and shopping malls
winnipeg = oh god
alberta = pukes

the landscapes? you can find those landscapes EVERYWHERE ON THIS PLANET!!!

I mean canada is kinda cold, boring and too pc for me!

I am not an American though but I think the Us is far superior
I think you are being a tad too harsh about Canada.

Canada is a young and small country. Few countries in the world are comparable to the US in terms of geographical and climate diversity and economic vibrancy. China and Russia are of similar size, and they can't compare either. European countries are all tiny in comparison.

Plus American cities are overrated. beside NYC, all other cities are pretty typical North American cities with a small downtown and vast suburbs too (yes, that includes San Francisco). Not so different from Toronto.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:15 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,844,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I think you are being a tad too harsh about Canada.

Canada is a young and small country. Few countries in the world are comparable to the US in terms of geographical and climate diversity and economic vibrancy. China and Russia are of similar size, and they can't compare either. European countries are all tiny in comparison.

Plus American cities are overrated. beside NYC, all other cities are pretty typical North American cities with a small downtown and vast suburbs too (yes, that includes San Francisco). Not so different from Toronto.
agree, most american cities are surubias , not very different from canadian suburban cities

but america's got more in terms of landscapes, foods, shopping possibilities.

canada is nice but lets be honest, its a bit slow and too suburban as a nation.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I think that morality, i.e. what's right and what's wrong should not change depending on the culture or region or religion. I am not sure how a symbol of oppression in Iran can become a symbol for freedom in Canada.

We have debated this issue till death on this very forum.

For those who want a hear a great Ted Talk on this very issue:
Sam Harris: Science can answer moral questions | Talk Video | TED.com
many things are not that black and white.
Plus freedom is overrated. And you think you enjoy freedom in Canada? Hardly.

Is high tax is freedom for example? Is big government freedom? You can say nice things about them all you want, but I am sure many people hate these and are not free from them. Just because you are allowed to raise a flag on the street protesting against the government doesn't mean you enjoy so much freedom.

The media always love to make the free world against the dictatorship thing black and white, because most people are not intelligent and giving them too much information they get confused. Good vs. evil works the best, and therefore for most Canadians, the west = good, Iran, Syria = evil and oppressive. This is only good enough for a 10 year old. An adult should never understand the world this way.

Plus most Canadians are not well travelled and hardly know much about the rest of the world, and always take what the western media says as the truth. The media, believe it or not, always has an agenda and is always biased.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
agree, most american cities are surubias , not very different from canadian suburban cities

but america's got more in terms of landscapes, foods, shopping possibilities.

canada is nice but lets be honest, its a bit slow and too suburban as a nation.

Yes, I agreed that the US has more interesting landscape. The US is a blessed country. As I said, other large countries such as China, Australia and Russia are not that blessed either. Canada is especially unfortunately because it is stuck at a very high latitude and 90% of the country is too harsh to human beings to live.

I don't agree Canada is more suburban than the US. Of course the US has more urban centres, that's because it has a much larger population. Percentage wise, the US is as suburban as Canada, and maybe a bit more. What's so urban between the east and west Coast? What's so urban about North and South Carolina?

Slow, yes. I find people in Toronto walk every slowly, not to mention the rest of Canada.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:41 PM

7,310 posts, read 9,356,910 times
Quote:
Yes, I agreed that the US has more interesting landscape. The US is a blessed country. As I said, other large countries such as China, Australia and Russia are not that blessed either. Canada is especially unfortunately because it is stuck at a very high latitude and 90% of the country is too harsh to human beings to live.

I don't agree Canada is more suburban than the US. Of course the US has more urban centres, that's because it has a much larger population. Percentage wise, the US is as suburban as Canada, and maybe a bit more. What's so urban between the east and west Coast? What's so urban about North and South Carolina?

Slow, yes. I find people in Toronto walk every slowly, not to mention the rest of Canada.
Try Germany for walking. Unless things have changed, especially in eastern Germany,you'll soon find yourself dead last in a marathon of people walking like they are running for their lives. 😆😏

Old 10-09-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Try Germany for walking. Unless things have changed, especially in eastern Germany,you'll soon find yourself dead last in a marathon of people walking like they are running for their lives. ����
they probably won't have all these 300lbs fatties with huge butts the size of a wall or ladies with thighs reminding you of elephants.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,442,123 times
Quote:
many things are not that black and white.
Plus freedom is overrated. And you think you enjoy freedom in Canada? Hardly.
While many things are not white and black, they should be. That's the evolution societies will have to make. Take the extreme example of beating your wife. Now there was a point in time when this was not a black and white issue. It was okay to beat your wife. But now, in the western world, beating your wife is not accepted - society doesn't accept it nor does the law allow it.

However, there are few places in the world where beating your wife is still okay. Now would you say that beating your wife is okay if you live in country A but not okay is you live in country B? Clearly, not.

There can be a consensus on such issues, moral values can evolve and we can come up with globally accepted norms for human-good. This can be applied to almost everything. There are right and wrong answers for everything. Many issues are still up for debate but many have already been settled.

Quote:
Is high tax is freedom for example? Is big government freedom? You can say nice things about them all you want, but I am sure many people hate these and are not free from them. Just because you are allowed to raise a flag on the street protesting against the government doesn't mean you enjoy so much freedom.
Sure. Big government, unfair taxes, incorrect policies are all flaws in the current system. These systems need to evolve and change. No debate here.

Quote:
The media always love to make the free world against the dictatorship thing black and white, because most people are not intelligent and giving them too much information they get confused. Good vs. evil works the best, and therefore for most Canadians, the west = good, Iran, Syria = evil and oppressive. This is only good enough for a 10 year old. An adult should never understand the world this way.
I agree ..... I don't think such over-generalizations are helpful. Iran is bad and Canada is good is not the best way to present this information. But I see no harm in criticizing specific policies of such regimes.

Clearly we can say that the Canadian way of treating women is far superior than the Iranian way of treating women. Yes?
Clearly we can say that the Canadian way of dealing with student protest is better than the Syrian way of dealing with student protest. Yes?

At times like this, it becomes absolutely necessary to force specific Western morals on such societies. It should be clear to everyone that there is a right and a wrong way to treat women or deal with student protest. Clearly the western way of doing it is the more "moral" way of doing it.

Note that I am talking about specifics (e.g. treating women w/ respect, student protest). I am not talking about Western values such as: drinking, women clothing, etc.

Quote:
Plus most Canadians are not well travelled and hardly know much about the rest of the world, and always take what the western media says as the truth. The media, believe it or not, always has an agenda and is always biased.
I think Canadians travel quite a bit. Remember reading articles about it.

You are stating things that are hard to disagree with - media has an agenda and a bias. Sure. Everyone knows that. But what's the point?

Increasingly, reports from places like Egypt and Syria come via twitter and fb. Protests in Iran were fueled by twitter and other social media channels. When the government in Iran shoots a woman protestor in cold blood - we get to see it via social media (not CNN). I don't know how much of a role the traditional media plays anymore. I think the traditional media is overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada