Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 08:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,893,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Congratulation for being the most patriotic Canadian! The way you've posted over and over about your stand makes me wonder whom you're trying to convince.

People should be allowed to move to wherever they choose without being made guilty. Who are you to judge anyway? To pursue one's happiness, IMHO, is the most basic human right. Whatever the happiness maybe, whether it's warmer climate, more income, better job prospect, etc.

Besides, the thread is not about whether one should move to US or not. It's about why more Canadians move to the US than the other way around. I bet if Canada's weather and job prospects were as vibrant as the US, the statistics would say differently.
I don't really care if you personally are convinced or not... I also don't care if you think i'm judging people or not.. If everyone in here played the who are you to judge card than there would be zero discussion in these forums.

Now, I have stated over and over again that I respect the choice that one would make to leave the country for whatever reason(s) they need to.. What my concern is if everyone had that inclination we'd be in trouble so it isn't a decision i'd personally take lightly and I put certain things ahead of my own personal happiness and pride in country is one of them.. I would leave it if it denied me certain rights and freedoms but fortunately it ticks off way more noble boxes than not and is worth pledging a certain allegiance to and standing up for in an unstable world.

In JFK's inaugural address - the most quoted and admired excerpt from it was the following:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

How have my posts deviated away from this in that very fundamental way?

Last edited by fusion2; 10-01-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I agree absolutely and unequivocally with the totality of your post and would never relocate anywhere else on a permanent basis.

Having gone through my life enjoying winters to their fullest with X-country, downhill skiing and snowmobiling for a major portion we are now extending our ability to enjoy longer lives through additional days of more easily performed exercises of golf and swimming during the winter months.

Like yourself we have been well travelled through not having children and being able to take extensive vacations whenever the mood behooved. There is no other place I can think of that I would have preferred to have called my home.

Canada has afforded us the amazing opportunity to attain the wherewithal to support such a lifestyle with virtually no concerns for our healthcare costs, our safety and security, or our emotional well being.

There will be presented to you younger people and your progeny evermore critical challenges and it will fall to you to call up to the bridge on occasion to remind the helmsman that there are shoals ahead, reduced speed is prudent, strict course maintenance imperative, and you will be monitoring his progress on your chart plotter to replace him immediately it becomes apparent he's not up to the task.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I second that. I've lived in two countries other than Canada and Canada is not necessarily the country I will stay in. But in as far as I have a nationality, it will be Canadian. I admire fusion's dedication to making the place of his birth a better place and I even agree with it. But I think that at least in some instances, having the experience of living in another country, can only help one do that upon return.

I disagree with your evaluation of multiculturalism and from it I would guess that you form part of the majority 'traditional' population. I don't and multiculturalism is what I feel fiercely loyal to about Canada. That I can be most fully myself is what would make me support Canada in as patriotic a way as I can get. The policies of the past that involved not being allowed to speak your mother tongue on the schoolyard without getting beaten for it, or to have second-generation Chinese and German Canadians having their loyalty doubted because Canada was engaged in wars, didn't inspire warm and fuzzy feelings in immigrants about Canada.

It doesn't take away from loyalty to Canada to also have a fellow feeling towards the country of your birth. But if you push the issue, then all feeling towards the new country dissolve. I'm not a parent but I imagine it is the same way you can love two or more children at the same time without it taking away from either one.
Don't get me wrong either Netwit.. I have said over and over that I respect the personal choice's others need to make but I for one feel that the best way to build this country up is to stay and pay taxes and make the economy strong here of course for other reasons as well - volunteering and helping others and building a strong community. I feel it is actually a noble thing for one to build up experience in another country but I do have a tinge of bitterness if the goal isn't to kind of bring some of that wealth back to our great country.. Call me Candiancentric - but yeah I am not ashamed to say I have a bias for Canada and if anything I think we can use more of that type of mentality here and who better than people who are rooted here to spread the word.. The world could use more Canada.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-01-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
What a judgmental post! Are you serious?

Dude, it's 21st century, people move around! Get over yourself. Life should be interesting and full of adventure and having the opportunity to move and live in different countries and experience different cultures and ways of doing things is one of the best parts of life. This is what makes you a better and more well-rounded person in many ways.

There are thousands of proud Canadians (or Americans or Germans and so on), just like you, who live outside of Canada and are still proud of their homeland (sounds stupid to me, but whatever ).

Who are you to judge, anyway? If you actually moved to a different country and spent some time there, you'd probably never write stupid posts like that.

Good luck!
You're talking to someone who is a Sagittarian, been to 17 countries with a love for many other parts of the world, cultures etc - but at the end of the day I think this country needs more individuals who think this country is worth building up, worth staying in and worth fighting for... I respect the right to leave it but i'm also sharing my own personal views about why moving away from the place isn't an option - FOR ME.. I do hope that is the case for more of my fellow countrymen than not to be honest or I think we will lose much in a very insidious way.

As for moving to a different country - won't entertain that until I retire and have done my part for King and country and made this a stronger place.. I will feel at that point that I have done my job for this great nation. Whether you think that is stupid or not is irrelevant to me quite frankly as this is a fundamental part of my value system and being. If you want to move from place to place and not build up a home and love a place with your heart and soul than by all means do what nature intends for you free from my judgement.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-01-2014 at 09:25 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Canada's actually very much on the winning end of the global migration game, so I wouldn't worry too much.
You're right with this - but you also know very well how important it is to have pride in something.. In maintaining core values, heritage... things that make something strong and everlasting...

Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't really care if you personally are convinced or not... I also don't care if you think i'm judging people or not.
You wouldn't have responded to my post if you didn't care.

As I've said in my earlier post, the thread is not about why one shouldn't leave Canada. But if you want the discussion to turn into your patriotism, by all means, knock yourself out.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
You wouldn't have responded to my post if you didn't care.

As I've said in my earlier post, the thread is not about why one shouldn't leave Canada. But if you want the discussion to turn into your patriotism, by all means, knock yourself out.
I can discuss things with you but essentially not care if you don't value my contribution to the discussion or my own personal views on my country. Aside from that, I think my posts and the thread title are related - I mean I think an examination of why people don't leave is also an examination of why people do.

You did not answer my question regarding how my posts have deviated away from the excerpt in JFK's inaugural address.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:56 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,333,625 times
Quote:
Don't get me wrong either Netwit.. I have said over and over that I respect the personal choice's others need to make but I for one feel that the best way to build this country up is to stay and pay taxes and make the economy strong here of course for other reasons as well - volunteering and helping others and building a strong community. I feel it is actually a noble thing for one to build up experience in another country but I do have a tinge of bitterness if the goal isn't to kind of bring some of that wealth back to our great country.. Call me Candiancentric - but yeah I am not ashamed to say I have a bias for Canada and if anything I think we can use more of that type of mentality here and who better than people who are rooted here to spread the word.. The world could use more Canada.
I don't disagree with you. I understood what you were saying and I never felt you were being 'absurdly' patriotic, for want of a better word.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,147,065 times
I seriously want to move to Canada, but it's nearly impossible unless you're in very specific industries (certain types of engineering, etc).

I'm a grant writer for non-profits and NGOs, so I don't think they'd want me!

But I'm a healthy 24 year old with a college degree, so at least there's that?

Old 10-02-2014, 05:47 AM

3,869 posts, read 5,295,663 times
Quote:
I don't really care if you personally are convinced or not... I also don't care if you think i'm judging people or not.. If everyone in here played the who are you to judge card than there would be zero discussion in these forums.

Now, I have stated over and over again that I respect the choice that one would make to leave the country for whatever reason(s) they need to.. What my concern is if everyone had that inclination we'd be in trouble so it isn't a decision i'd personally take lightly and I put certain things ahead of my own personal happiness and pride in country is one of them.. I would leave it if it denied me certain rights and freedoms but fortunately it ticks off way more noble boxes than not and is worth pledging a certain allegiance to and standing up for in an unstable world.

In JFK's inaugural address - the most quoted and admired excerpt from it was the following:

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

How have my posts deviated away from this in that very fundamental way?

This is admirable and I applaud your patriotism, despite the fact that I may personally find some of it misguided. People should never be ashamed to admit that they put personal, professional growth and the well being of their family before country. Humans by nature have some selfish tendencies, no matter how self sacrificing we are. If we find a situation where we can advance on a personal level, most will put that before their nation of birth.

I also think that patriotism and pride should never be tied to location. Many people feel that they can represent and advance the interests of their home nation as members of the diaspora, rather than remaining residents of that nation.

Finally you never should underestimate the importance of at one point in your life removing yourself from your comfort zone to grown as a person. Moving away from what you know and are accustomed to is an eye opening experience and one that accelerates personal growth in a way you cant understand until you do it personally. Travel is wonderful and something everyone should partake in, but moving away from your "Home arena" and playing an "Away game" so to speak is on another level. I also think that since Canada is a country of immigrants, it would in the long run help become an even better Canadian. How better to empathize and relate to people leaving everything behind to come to your country, than doing the exact same yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.