Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2019, 09:31 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Bottom Line : Canadians have a better quality of life than Detroitians.
Bottom Line: this is 100% untrue. Americans, generally speaking, have a better quality of life than Canadians, which is why Canadians move to America rather than vice-versa. All things equal, suburban Michigan is nicer than suburban Ontario.

Of course someone living in Forest Hill, Toronto has a better QoL than someone living in the worst Detroit ghetto. But that has nothing to do with anything. It's like saying someone living in Bloomfield Hills, MI has a much better QoL than someone living in a crime-filled Toronto commieblock.

Professionals are obviously not gonna live in the worst neighborhoods in town, and the nice Michigan neighborhoods are nicer than the nice Ontario neighborhoods (I know, I have family in the GTA, and they're jealous of the bigger homes and yards in the U.S. Upscale Canadian places like Oakville aren't even that nice in the suburban U.S. context).

Toronto is booming because it gets a TON of immigrants, not because there's something inherently attractive about the place. It's the dominant national metro, so obviously gets the immigrants. Montreal is French-speaking and Vancouver is poorer and 2x as expensive, so the immigrants almost all go to the GTA. But immigrants aren't moving to Toronto because they think Scarborough and Brampton are beautiful areas.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:41 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,066,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
That is a factor among many why I choose to live in the US. Unlike most I was born in Canada and lived there until I was 19 when I moved to California. I lost my Canadian Citizenship when I became a naturalized US citizen which doesn't matter to me.

I have lived in 4 different countries.
No you didn't. No Canada born citizen can lose their citizenship, they can officially renounce it but not lose it. Never. Unless you officially, legally, consciously renounced it in legally documented notification to Canada with all the official, legally required paperwork involved with renunciation, and got an official response of recognition back, then you never lost your Canadian citizenship and you have dual citizenship instead. It would actually be an extremely foolish thing for anybody to do, to renounce Canadian citizenship just because you're also becoming a citizen of any other countries. If you were born in Canada you are still a Canadian citizen no matter if you were to become a naturalized citizen of a 100 different nations, with USA being no exception. You and the USA might like to think you lost your Canadian citizenship when you became an American citizen but Canada doesn't recognize a non-official renunciation and USA can't force you to renounce Canada, it will only demand your loyalty to USA ahead of Canada.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:07 PM

6,750 posts, read 6,744,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Nortel, which got devastated by Huawei and BlackBerry, just off the top of my head.
Cisco helped destroy Nortel, and the iPhone killed Blackberry. Kind of remarkable how hard both Nortel and RIMM/Blackberry fell, no resilience whatsoever.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,507,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No you didn't. No Canada born citizen can lose their citizenship, they can officially renounce it but not lose it. Never. Unless you officially, legally, consciously renounced it in legally documented notification to Canada with all the official, legally required paperwork involved with renunciation, and got an official response of recognition back, then you never lost your Canadian citizenship and you have dual citizenship instead. It would actually be an extremely foolish thing for anybody to do, to renounce Canadian citizenship just because you're also becoming a citizen of any other countries. If you were born in Canada you are still a Canadian citizen no matter if you were to become a naturalized citizen of a 100 different nations, with USA being no exception. You and the USA might like to think you lost your Canadian citizenship when you became an American citizen but Canada doesn't recognize a non-official renunciation and USA can't force you to renounce Canada, it will only demand your loyalty to USA ahead of Canada.

Ooopsy!

Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's all about the money cult
Say that if it makes you feel better, but what innovations are coming out of Canada?

Stuart Butterfield, a Vancouverite, moved to America to build Slack, knowing like every other sensible Canadian that trying to grow an innovative company in Canada makes as much sense as trying to build one in Greenland.

Old 09-21-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
Even the Canadian middle class now is better off than the American.
That's a false statement, but I thought money didn't matter and we were all "Mannonites"?

Old 09-21-2019, 12:36 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,868,494 times
All Canadians I know here were drawn because of the weather and ability to earn a better living. You could say that about people here from the midwest too.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:13 PM

293 posts, read 246,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
That's a false statement, but I thought money didn't matter and we were all "Mannonites"?
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/most-can...cans-1.1308648

These are facts, no wonder Trump is your president.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:31 PM

225 posts, read 153,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Bottom Line: this is 100% untrue. Americans, generally speaking, have a better quality of life than Canadians, which is why Canadians move to America rather than vice-versa. All things equal, suburban Michigan is nicer than suburban Ontario.

Of course someone living in Forest Hill, Toronto has a better QoL than someone living in the worst Detroit ghetto. But that has nothing to do with anything. It's like saying someone living in Bloomfield Hills, MI has a much better QoL than someone living in a crime-filled Toronto commieblock.

Professionals are obviously not gonna live in the worst neighborhoods in town, and the nice Michigan neighborhoods are nicer than the nice Ontario neighborhoods (I know, I have family in the GTA, and they're jealous of the bigger homes and yards in the U.S. Upscale Canadian places like Oakville aren't even that nice in the suburban U.S. context).

Toronto is booming because it gets a TON of immigrants, not because there's something inherently attractive about the place. It's the dominant national metro, so obviously gets the immigrants. Montreal is French-speaking and Vancouver is poorer and 2x as expensive, so the immigrants almost all go to the GTA. But immigrants aren't moving to Toronto because they think Scarborough and Brampton are beautiful areas.

Yea because bases on everything I have seen I would without a shadow of a doubt choose to live in the USA over the ROC (rest of Canada). It isnt a option for me, though. Stuff like friendliness, weather, innovation, culture is so much better there. It is bit silly to even try to compare Canada and the USA. I dont plan to leave Quebec because of cultural stuff and my family. Because there is no point to somewhere else in Canada, it's mediocre.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:41 PM

225 posts, read 153,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/most-can...cans-1.1308648

These are facts, no wonder Trump is your president.

And we have the dude wearing blackface!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada