Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,329,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
They all just have different values and the addiction to money is what gets Mammonites' serotonin levels kicked up into high gear and gets them high.
Americans are not "more addicted to money" than Canadians. That's absurd.

If anything, I see more outward displays of conspicuous consumption in Ontario than I see in adjacent U.S. states, even though Ontario is less wealthy than all of them. You see lots of people in Toronto showing off with labels, luxury cars, etc. when they probably live with Mom.

And there are lots of truly wealthy in Canada. A lot of Ontario WASPs have very quiet, old money, living in places like Forest Hill. They often drive boring, average cars, and wear normal clothes. In contrast, I see lots of immigrants, probably living in some commieblock in Scarborough, sporting designer labels and driving German luxury cars.

And Vancouver is even more extreme. Vancouver is a poor metro by North American standards, with extremely low salaries, but I have never seen so many label-conscious, luxury car driving young folks. And, yeah, it's a certain demographic. You go to Seattle, with basically twice the average salaries, and much cheaper home prices, and people dress very simple, don't get dolled up and drive old Toyotas and Subarus.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:56 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,667,488 times
Quote:
No my dear, that's your interpretation, not mine. You must be feeling guilty about it if that's the conclusion you come to. I never implied that it's evil, just said it's a cult. It's just another type of addictive religion and very few if any addicted religionists or cultists ever consider themselves to be evil nor have the intent to be seen as being evil. They all just have different values and the addiction to money is what gets Mammonites' serotonin levels kicked up into high gear and gets them high.

See a psychiatrist, if you can get into one without waiting 6 months.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:02 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
There are so many more American Mammonites who place the acquisition of vast quantities of money and riches far ahead of all their other values and virtues, they worship it, and the majority of Canadians don't, they have other values and the cult is discouraged in Canada.
This is classic "sour grapes:" putting something down simply because you know you can't have it.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:14 PM

225 posts, read 152,398 times
Quote:
See, that post right there just exemplifies the reason and provides the most simple answer to the question that was asked "Why Do So Many More Canadians Move To America Than Americans Move To Canada?"

It's all about the money cult, better known as the cult of Mammon, and its worshipers, the Mammonites.

There are so many more American Mammonites who place the acquisition of vast quantities of money and riches far ahead of all their other values and virtues, they worship it, and the majority of Canadians don't, they have other values and the cult is discouraged in Canada.

So the Canadian Mammonites that worship money the same way move to the states to join the American money cult where Mammonism is encouraged and they are welcomed. But there's no way the American cult members would break faith with the cult and move to Canada because there is nothing there for them, no encouragement. The American cultists would become misfits, like displaced or disowned persons, DP's who can't accommodate themselves to Canadian values so they'd either shrivel up and die or they'd have to move back to where they came from.

The Americans who do move to Canada and enjoy it are never members of the American cult of Mammon, they move to Canada to escape from American Mammonism.

Someone sounds bitter.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:23 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
LOL. Judging by the responses it would appear I have just gone and pricked some extremely sensitive nerves and guilt complexes.

Gotcha!

Old 09-20-2019, 01:34 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
LOL. Judging by the responses it would appear I have just gone and pricked some extremely sensitive nerves and guilt complexes.

Gotcha!

Oh yes, that's another classic tactic. Make outrageous and exaggerated statements with the express purpose of annoying your hearers, and when they respond accordingly, you tell them that their annoyance proves that your statements are true.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:38 PM

293 posts, read 245,549 times
Quote:

Gotcha!

And they still haven't found a way to explain how a country with a lower GDP per capita ranks higher in almost all the Quality of Life and Social Progress studies.

Even the Canadian middle class now is better off than the American.

Old 09-20-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAROD View Post
And they still haven't found a way to explain how a country with a lower GDP per capita ranks higher in almost all the Quality of Life and Social Progress studies.
Because QoL and Social Progress have nothing do with wealth? Not sure why you find this confusing.
Quote:
Even the Canadian middle class now is better off than the American.
"Better off" is a subjective term. The median Canadian household income is significantly lower than the median U.S. household income. I think few unbiased people would agree that a poorer society is a "better off" society., though, yes, it isn't a completely implausible argument, just odd.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:14 PM

293 posts, read 245,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Because QoL and Social Progress have nothing do with wealth? Not sure why you find this confusing.

"Better off" is a subjective term. The median Canadian household income is significantly lower than the median U.S. household income. I think few unbiased people would agree that a poorer society is a "better off" society., though, yes, it isn't a completely implausible argument, just odd.
So you admit that the Quality of Life in Canada is better?

I don't see anyone here refuting that the GDP per capita in the US is higher. The point you still fail to understand is that this doesn't always translate into having a better quality of life compared to countries with lower income.

Perhaps this is what's making the US drop in all liveability rankings year after year, you are simply not focused on what's important.

People think that the more money they are making the more prosperous they are, ignoring many other important factors.

There is a reason these studies are published, it wouldn't hurt to read them.

Old 09-20-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
So you admit that the Quality of Life in Canada is better?
No. the QoL indicators are politicized and silly, and not reflective of actualy QoL. When people think of QoL, they think of their families, not society as a whole.

The QoL weight things like "is there universal healthcare" highly, when that has nothing to do with anything. People care about quality healthcare, which is much better in the U.S., not whether every last person has it.

Canada is a more equal society, but has lower QoL, because it's poorer.
Quote:
I don't see anyone here refuting that the GDP per capita in the US is higher. The point you still fail to understand is that this doesn't always translate into having a better quality of life compared to countries with lower income.
I disagree. I think, for 99% of families, QoL means whether or not their family has the ability to afford a comfortable lifestyle.

Speaking very generally, this is easier in the U.S. Salaries are higher, housing is cheaper, universities and healthcare are better, weather is better. It's a more unequal society, but most families are better off in U.S. My family doesn't have a higher QoL if you cut my salary by 30% so that every last person can have mediocre healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada