Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,291,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Can you list where LGBTQ in Canada have been treated as a special class?

Heaps of praise? In regards to LGBTQ do you mean support for some that have come through some horrific struggles? Or what do you mean?

About white guilt. Only you can make yourself feel guilty. I'm white and I have no personal guilt because of the injustices that were perpetrated on certain classes of people. In Canada mainly First Nations.

I do understand society and how it's been a white straight mans world for so long and that other peoples, whether they be women or minorities, have been held down.

I " get it " in other words.

Where we might agree is that I don't think people should paint ALL groups one way or another. BLM matter for instance wanting police banned in Vancouver PRIDE because of what police have done in other jurisdictions, mainly in the US.
I have no first hand experience on how it is to be black in Vancouver, only can base it on the experiences of family members that live there. So I wont comment.

But implying that BLM is looking to the US to find injustice is a typical misinformed reaction to what they stand for. They can easily look to the largest city within their own country for "inspiration" when it comes to heavy handed racial profiling and brutality. So bringing the US into this is a typical "Its them not us" reaction to racism and racial profiling.

Also maybe you should ask some of your black friends their view on the matter. The ones that live in Vancouver. You may be surprised to hear their experiences.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I have no first hand experience on how it is to be black in Vancouver, only can base it on the experiences of family members that live there. So I wont comment.

But implying that BLM is looking to the US to find injustice is a typical misinformed reaction to what they stand for. They can easily look to the largest city within their own country for "inspiration" when it comes to heavy handed racial profiling and brutality. So bringing the US into this is a typical "Its them not us" reaction to racism and racial profiling.

Also maybe you should ask some of your black friends their view on the matter. The ones that live in Vancouver. You may be surprised to hear their experiences.
The US yes, but not ONLY the US. I understand that.

IMO where they are misdirecting their anger is at PRIDE parades. Why not other Parades the police march in??

The Vancouver gay community worked for over 40 years building a relationship with the police. Are the police perfect? No.

Is it so bad in Vancouver that you throw the baby out with the bathwater? Or do you work with the police to resolve issues, like the LGBTQ community has?

I've listened to BLM statements, and frankly they seemed confused. Labelling the VPD like they are the Ferguson, Missouri police force.

They've gone beyond reason. They actually wanted a black performer Solange Knowles to move her venue because the venue is in what was Hogan's Alley in Vancouver.

Black Lives Matter Vancouver raise concerns about Solange Knowles shows and Chinatown gentrification | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly

Old 07-20-2017, 12:39 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
I've said many times on here that I think it's unwise for the black community in Canada to import lock, stock and barrel American movements and the cues that go along with them.

This doesn't mean that I deny the existence of problems in the relations between black people and the police in many Canadian cities.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:43 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,923,863 times
The US is a much larger economy with a greater thirst for migrants, and is capable of absorbing very large numbers of them.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
The US yes, but not ONLY the US. I understand that.

IMO where they are misdirecting their anger is at PRIDE parades. Why not other Parades the police march in??

The Vancouver gay community worked for over 40 years building a relationship with the police. Are the police perfect? No.

Is it so bad in Vancouver that you throw the baby out with the bathwater? Or do you work with the police to resolve issues, like the LGBTQ community has?

I've listened to BLM statements, and frankly they seemed confused. Labelling the VPD like they are the Ferguson, Missouri police force.

They've gone beyond reason. They actually wanted a black performer Solange Knowles to move her venue because the venue is in what was Hogan's Alley in Vancouver.

Black Lives Matter Vancouver raise concerns about Solange Knowles shows and Chinatown gentrification | Georgia Straight Vancouver's News & Entertainment Weekly
No argument from me there. I have said many times in the past that the LGBTQ community is one we as black people should be working with hand in hand rather than against. Since there is a shared understanding of how it feels to be marginalized and discriminated against. I have my views on BLM and the leadership, not all of it is favorable.

Re: Ferguson, MO. Once again using a comparison to a US police force with the TPS (The worst Police force I have personally dealt with along with the NYPD) right there within your country.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've said many times on here that I think it's unwise for the black community in Canada to import lock, stock and barrel American movements and the cues that go along with them.

This doesn't mean that I deny the existence of problems in the relations between black people and the police in many Canadian cities.
I posted an interesting study that was published in the Toronto star in the Toronto section of the forum. The majority of us as black people in the GTA according to the study identify as "Black" first and then our (or our parents) nationality second.

With that in mind, wouldn't it be logical to feel a certain kinship with our brothers and sisters across the border? I agree that there should not be a one size fits all solution, but that connection and the issues feel very much real to us, despite living in Canada, UK, wherever on this planet. That makes it very easy to latch onto movements that start in the US vs our local communities which are searching for some sort of organically grown leadership.

There are certain people like Desmond Cole and Andray Domise that fit the bill, but they will even tell you that much of their inspiration comes from leaders and activists in other countries.

Plus there is nothing wrong with looking to outsiders when it comes to activism. There would be no Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr without Marcus Garvey for example.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
No argument from me there. I have said many times in the past that the LGBTQ community is one we as black people should be working with hand in hand rather than against. Since there is a shared understanding of how it feels to be marginalized and discriminated against. I have my views on BLM and the leadership, not all of it is favorable.

Re: Ferguson, MO. Once again using a comparison to a US police force with the TPS (The worst Police force I have personally dealt with along with the NYPD) right there within your country.
I agree, a lot of similarities that some may not even realize. Refused housing ( happened to me twice ), fear of losing a job...not so much myself but I actually know someone slightly older who lost their job...because the job entailed dealing with customers who may have children!! Groan. Plus people being ostracized by family and friends. Still happens today.

Heck people still get accused of " throwing your lifestyle" in someone's face if you mention a partner.

TPS? Toronto Police Force? I'm not surprised, I've heard stories and read some awful things. Still...targeting ALL police forces isn't productive at getting people to support you.

BLM started for a reason. A very good reason. It's just that certain factions of the group aren't really thinking things through. Their strategy isn't working.

I think the LBGTQ etc community in Vancouver got their backs up when they were accused of not being inclusive. WTF?

I started looking more critically at the BLM group in Vancouver when they went on about how the 1971 protest march was basically all white. That it wasn't inclusive. They were apply 2017 realities into 1971.

There were 30 or so people in that march. Vancouver really didn't have a lot of black, people back then, let alone young black people who were willing to show their face in a " gay march ".

It all kind of went south from for me in supporting them. I do support of course, change.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
I agree, a lot of similarities that some may not even realize. Refused housing ( happened to me twice ), fear of losing a job...not so much myself but I actually know someone slightly older who lost their job...because the job entailed dealing with customers who may have children!! Groan. Plus people being ostracized by family and friends. Still happens today.

Heck people still get accused of " throwing your lifestyle" in someone's face if you mention a partner.

TPS? Toronto Police Force? I'm not surprised, I've heard stories and read some awful things. Still...targeting ALL police forces isn't productive at getting people to support you.

BLM started for a reason. A very good reason. It's just that certain factions of the group aren't really thinking things through. Their strategy isn't working.

I think the LBGTQ etc community in Vancouver got their backs up when they were accused of not being inclusive. WTF?

I started looking more critically at the BLM group in Vancouver when they went on about how the 1971 protest march was basically all white. That it wasn't inclusive. They were apply 2017 realities into 1971.

There were 30 or so people in that march. Vancouver really didn't have a lot of black, people back then, let alone young black people who were willing to show their face in a " gay march ".

It all kind of went south from for me in supporting them. I do support of course, change.
That is downright silly. There is not even that large of a black community in Vancouver today, let alone 1971. That is like me getting angry because there are not that many black people present at a march in Salt Lake City or Burlington VT.

I see where you are coming from when you view them as confused or misguided.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:23 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
I posted an interesting study that was published in the Toronto star in the Toronto section of the forum. The majority of us as black people in the GTA according to the study identify as "Black" first and then our (or our parents) nationality second.

With that in mind, wouldn't it be logical to feel a certain kinship with our brothers and sisters across the border? I agree that there should not be a one size fits all solution, but that connection and the issues feel very much real to us, despite living in Canada, UK, wherever on this planet. That makes it very easy to latch onto movements that start in the US vs our local communities which are searching for some sort of organically grown leadership.

There are certain people like Desmond Cole and Andray Domise that fit the bill, but they will even tell you that much of their inspiration comes from leaders and activists in other countries.

Plus there is nothing wrong with looking to outsiders when it comes to activism. There would be no Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr without Marcus Garvey for example.
Oh I can understand that.

I wasn't being judgemental, I hope you know.

Last edited by Acajack; 07-20-2017 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 01:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
The roads in Vancouver were built to accommodate a certain level of traffic. Like all cities. Traffic has increased over the years, and keeps increasing.
You can try to upgrade your existing road in an intelligent way and with minimal impact (again, nobody is asking freeways in the middle of Stanley Park)...at the end of the day if the city grows, infrastructure has to be accommodated. Some European cities with highly valuable historic downtowns have taken the drastic measure of shutting them off to the traffic completely but they have a superb system of freeways around the city with fast "radial" arteries to get in and out...and this still with bike sharing, car sharing and programs like that which, however, cannot accommodate the needs of all citizens of a modern metropolis.

Quote:
I'm not sure where you get this idea that Vancouver walkability has been stated as being unique???
You used the word "exceptional".....it is not.

Quote:
A New Yorker or Londoner can walk to world class museums and theatre, but they can't walk to wilderness or mountains.
Neither in Vancouver....you can easily walk from downtown to Stanley Park and the Seawall...that's it.

Quote:

The future survival for cities does not include more cars and traffic. It can't.
It has to include them and it does, especially with the move towards zero emission vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.