Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 09:29 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,318,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Simple, US is much larger in population and geographic diversity, so it's more attractive than Canada. Many decisions come down to career/education options.

Exactly!! As simple as that....

Old 07-18-2017, 09:35 AM

7,310 posts, read 9,356,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Exactly!! As simple as that....
Well, honestly, I think we (meaning Canadians) have all understood that a long time ago. Same neighbour kid as in my little anecdote: "Canada was easier to get into."

I think his grandparents came in via the provincial programme and/or they sold their measly acres in Germany and managed to buy up a huge chunk of southern Manitoba and have change left over (investor class).

Old 07-18-2017, 10:26 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Here's an article that touches on the current situation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...utm_source=fbb

Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Here's an article that touches on the current situation.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...utm_source=fbb

I read that article...I'm not not saying there isn't some truth in it but it is highly biased and it glosses over a lot of stuff....

Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
I read that article...I'm not not saying there isn't some truth in it but it is highly biased and it glosses over a lot of stuff....
It's an article, not a thesis

The points it makes are quite valid and are a snapshot of a particular time.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It's an article, not a thesis

The points it makes are quite valid and are a snapshot of a particular time.

Nat, i think we discussed this before but maybe is worth to mention again.

I will give you my perspective from my "privileged" position of someone that is born and raised in Europe, lived in Canada and the US....trying to be as objective as possible...to make a long story short my opinion (also the same opinion of some other Canadians on this forum with living overseas experience and Europeans living in Canada) is that frankly you do not get that much "bang for your buck" in Canada for a more "active government" role in the economy and society, definitely not compared to the best western European countries. Canadian infrastructure is not that impressive (came back from Vancouver yesterday, the road system remain as atrocious as ever and the Skytrain is not going to impress anyone in Europe) so the social safety net is not impressive, again, compared to Europe nor is healthcare. For a significant cut in potential salary for an average professional, compared to the US, you do not get European level of infrastructure or services...and my salary back in the old continent was not that different from Canada....I was getting more "value from government spending" back there.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-18-2017 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 PM

295 posts, read 264,664 times
Quote:

I will give you my perspective from the "privileged" position of someone that is born and raised in Europe, lived in Canada and the US....trying to be as objective as possible...to make a long story short my opinion (also the same opinion of some other Canadians on this forum with living overseas experience and Europeans living in Canada) is that frankly you do not get that much "bang for your buck" in Canada for a more "active government" role in the economy and society, definitely not compared to the best western European countries. Canadian infrastructure is not that impressive (came back from Vancouver yesterday, the road system remain as atrocious as ever and the Skytrain is not going to impress anyone in Europe) so the social safety net is not impressive, again, compared to Europe nor is healthcare. For a significant cut in potential salary for an average professional, compared to the US you do not get European level of infrastructure or services...and my salary back in the old continent was not that different from Canada....I was getting more "value from government spending" back there.
In Canada a lot of taxes go to support big public sector, which, unlike public sectors in Western Europe, is considered very privileged and high paid. I might say, overpaid, given its low efficiency. For example, a huge chunk of budgets of small cities and towns goes to salaries of public servants (firefighters, police, ...). Little is left for infrastructure improvements or social services. On the other hand, public sector workers in Western Europe are not some privileged class. In Germany, for example, the firefighters are mostly volunteers. Therefore, in Europe there are much more money left for infrastructure projects, social services (including welfare) and education. In Canada the principal beneficiaries of high taxes are public servants (having high salaries, big pensions, almost absolute job security).

Old 07-18-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
In Canada a lot of taxes go to support big public sector, which, unlike public sectors in Western Europe, is considered very privileged and high paid. I might say, overpaid, given its low efficiency. For example, a huge chunk of budgets of small cities and towns goes to salaries of public servants (firefighters, police, ...). Little is left for infrastructure improvements or social services. On the other hand, public sector workers in Western Europe are not some privileged class. In Germany, for example, the firefighters are mostly volunteers. Therefore, in Europe there are much more money left for infrastructure projects, social services (including welfare) and education. In Canada the principal beneficiaries of high taxes are public servants (having high salaries, big pensions, almost absolute job security).
Well there are a lot of countries in Europe where public workers are a privileged class (job security, benefits, etc..)

Old 07-18-2017, 01:03 PM

295 posts, read 264,664 times
Quote:
Well there are a lot of countries in Europe where public workers are a privileged class (job security, benefits, etc..)
Greece, for example?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:06 PM

7,310 posts, read 9,356,910 times
Quote:

I will give you my perspective from the "privileged" position of someone that is born and raised in Europe, lived in Canada and the US....trying to be as objective as possible...to make a long story short my opinion (also the same opinion of some other Canadians on this forum with living overseas experience and Europeans living in Canada) is that frankly you do not get that much "bang for your buck" in Canada for a more "active government" role in the economy and society, definitely not compared to the best western European countries. Canadian infrastructure is not that impressive (came back from Vancouver yesterday, the road system remain as atrocious as ever and the Skytrain is not going to impress anyone in Europe) so the social safety net is not impressive, again, compared to Europe nor is healthcare. For a significant cut in potential salary for an average professional, compared to the US you do not get European level of infrastructure or services...and my salary back in the old continent was not that different from Canada....I was getting more "value from government spending" back there.
One thing to remember about threads like this is that even people who wouldn't in other circumstances identify or come across as nationalists can become defensive. That applies to Americans and Canadians. It's like, for example, if I have a bad relationship with my brother (which I don't, but this is an example ). If some other person starts criticizing him, chances are pretty good I will leap to his defense and make all kinds of excuses for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada