Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 04:12 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,467 times

Advertisements

People who move countries want to feel reassured that their decision wasn't a mistake, so they sometimes exaggerate the pros of their new country and minimise the pros of their previous ones.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 07-14-2017 at 04:21 AM..

Old 07-14-2017, 04:22 AM

1,147 posts, read 719,467 times
People who move to another Western country perhaps want to feel reassured that their decision wasn't a mistake, so they sometimes exaggerate the pros of their new country and understate the pros of their previous one.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:39 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,511,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Oh, I'm sure there are. I cited two posters whom I know to be expat Canadians in the US, and who are happy in the US.

But I don't know everybody. If you know of any others, I'm sure we'd all like to hear about them.
Oh, rest assured Chevy, we will, we most definitely will.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,780,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
John, we've discussed this before. You haven't lost your Canadian citizenship. If you choose not to recognize or exercise it (or voluntarily renounce it), that's fine; but you're still a Canadian. Read each country's respective legislation in this area; under Canadian law, the United States cannot strip your Canadian citizenship from you, no matter what the US citizenship judge says. Only you can do that.

Anyway, I have the same argument in reverse with a local friend who is originally from the United States. She is convinced that she is no longer an American citizen, because "The Canadian citizenship judge who granted my Canadian citizenship said I wasn't American any more." Thing is--she remains an American, under American citizenship law. But under Canada's law, she's Canadian. Just like you, John, she's a dual; she just doesn't realize it (despite my legal arguments to the contrary).

Hey, look at the bright side. Canada isn't charging you income taxes, the way the US taxes its expat citizens.

That being said, it works both ways. It is true that JohnSoCal and NewDixieGirl, both regular posters here, and Canadians by birth and now in the US, will probably never return to Canada to live. But at the same time, I know a number of Americans in Canada who will never likely return to the US to live. Heck, my ex-wife (Colorado) is one; my above friend (Washington state) is another. There's another in Calgary (Connecticut), and a couple back in Toronto (Florida and New York).

I know that anecdotes are never data, but it seems to me that people end up in a place that works for them. If John and NewDixieGirl are happy in the US, good for them. If Rose (Washington), Debbie (Connecticut), and Mickey (New York), are happy in Canada, good for them too. Weather doesn't seem to play much of a role; it's what works best for each individual.
At the time that I became a US citizen, Canada did not recognize dual citizenship. I realize that is no longer the case. It is really not of any concern to me

Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Absolutely!!

It is weird to me that many people underestimate the allure of a better weather for Canadians moving to the US....even young ones.
It wasn't just weather for me. I would much rather live in Seattle than Vancouver and I am not a big fan of Seattle.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,310,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I would much rather live in Seattle than Vancouver and I am not a big fan of Seattle.

I totally agree.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 PM

659 posts, read 900,096 times
I've been here for 2 years and I'm always surprised at how many people I meet from the U.S. that moved here. It's very common. You can't compare the raw numbers/statistics, look at the population difference.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post
I've been here for 2 years and I'm always surprised at how many people I meet from the U.S. that moved here. It's very common. You can't compare the raw numbers/statistics, look at the population difference.
The difference in population should mean that ten times as many Americans would move to Canada. Of course we know that is not true.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:26 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,310,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina311 View Post

...I forgot to mention the Americans I met that moved to Canada for work or family reason and eventually were planning to go back or went back....anecdotal I know but....

Old 07-15-2017, 01:26 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,342,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
...I forgot to mention the Americans I met that moved to Canada for work or family reason and eventually were planning to go back or went back....anecdotal I know but....
Come on, saturno. You know that's a ridiculous example, because, well, ditto. Canadians also move to the U.S. for work or family reasons. Those reasons cover pretty much everything. And many of those also plan to move back at some point. Some do and some don't because life, as they say, is what happens when you're making other plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.