Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 01:38 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,318,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
No, but you are a simple train ride away. You are not a simple train ride away from world class museums and theatre in Vancouver.

Anyways, carry on you two!

As I already said, neither in Vancouver you can "walk" to a mountain or the wilderness.....Natnasci always exaggerate that point.
You can walk to Stanley park which is barely bigger than Central Park and you have the Seawall.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:50 PM

3,878 posts, read 5,306,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Oh I can understand that.

I wasn't being judgemental, I hope you know.
Of course. We have too much virtual history for me to think otherwise.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
You can try to upgrade your existing road in an intelligent way and with minimal impact (again, nobody is asking freeways in the middle of Stanley Park)...at the end of the day if the city grows, infrastructure has to be accommodated. Some European cities with highly valuable historic downtowns have taken the drastic measure of shutting them off to the traffic completely but they have a superb system of freeways around the city with fast "radial" arteries to get in and out...and this still with bike sharing, car sharing and programs like that which, however, cannot accommodate the needs of all citizens of a modern metropolis.

You used the word "exceptional".....it is not.

Neither in Vancouver....you can easily walk from downtown to Stanley Park and the Seawall...that's it.

It has to include them and it does, especially with the move towards zero emission vehicles.
Geography plays a huge roll as does population centres. Where do you suppose Vancouver put a ring road?

I disagree, Vancouver is exceptional ( not in the literal sense if you are nitpicking here ).

Considering you better bring bear spray when you hike in the North Shore Mountains...which is quite walkable from the city, I'd suggest otherwise.

However wilderness, doesn't just mean animals. How many forests can you stand in Amsterdam? Milan? Paris? NYC? etc

Zero immersion is great, I'm all for it, however cars whatever their type of propulsion take up space. Vancouver's downtown can't handle much more. You yourself can see the traffic jams. Will you be happier sitting in gridlock knowing the vehicles are emission free?..beside perhaps being happier about the environment.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
As I already said, neither in Vancouver you can "walk" to a mountain or the wilderness.....Natnasci always exaggerate that point.
You can walk to Stanley park which is barely bigger than Central Park and you have the Seawall.
Simply incorrect. I've walked over the Lions Gate Bridge to go hiking. People who live in West and North Van actually live ON the mountains.

People who live on the west side can walk to Pacific Spirit Park which is 874 hectares (2,160 acres), which is almost 3 times the size of Central Park...and oh, it's wilderness.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:54 PM

484 posts, read 1,288,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
No argument from me there. I have said many times in the past that the LGBTQ community is one we as black people should be working with hand in hand rather than against. Since there is a shared understanding of how it feels to be marginalized and discriminated against. I have my views on BLM and the leadership, not all of it is favorable.

Re: Ferguson, MO. Once again using a comparison to a US police force with the TPS (The worst Police force I have personally dealt with along with the NYPD) right there within your country.
Edward, i think it's unfair to protrait BLM as working againt the LGBTQ community when most of the members and leadership in the US and in Toronto (I don't know anything about the Vancouver chapter) are LGBTQ themselves.

BLM problem with the police at pride was even though the police may have made amends with some members of the LGBTQ community (mostly cis-gendered White men) POC and transgendered individuals still face discrimination from the police, so how can you party with us when you still treat a chunk of our community like crap. Anyways the police were not official banned from the parade, Pride made a compromise that they could attend but not in uniform.

Plus many members of BLMTO are a part of black LGBTQ organizations like blackness yes, as you may know, had issues with Pride- mainly taking away their space for blackorama to give it to TD etc. So BLM did have a legitimate reason to protest at Pride. I'm just tried people ( not you Ed) trying to make it look like these big bad black people came to pride to terrorize the nice gay people and hijack their parade.

FYI I'm not a fan of BLMTO, I agree with you, they need better leadership.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Simply incorrect. I've walked over the Lions Gate Bridge to go hiking. People who live in West and North Van actually live ON the mountains.

People who live on the west side can walk to Pacific Spirit Park which is 874 hectares (2,160 acres), which is almost 3 times the size of Central Park...and oh, it's wilderness.

In order to easily hike to the mountains from the North Shore you have to literally live way up there...sure I can hike from Seattle downtown to Issaquah or, even closer, to Newcastle....how many do that?? You are making a huge stretch....

Even from my friend home in upper Lonsdale is quite the walk before you get into an actual mountain...

Quote:
However wilderness, doesn't just mean animals. How many forests can you stand in Amsterdam? Milan? Paris? NYC? etc
Are you kidding me?? You can be in the wilderness one hour of train ride from New York Penn Station (consider how big New York is), same from Milan up in the Alps.

Early morning in the mountains at Campo Dei Fiori....50 mins from Milan downtown

Quote:
I disagree, Vancouver is exceptional
No is not....you can easily get into the wilderness from many many cities around the world, one of them just 200 km south....very nice yes, exceptional no, get out of your head that you live in an unique city, wake up.

Quote:
Geography plays a huge roll as does population centres. Where do you suppose Vancouver put a ring road?

From 99 put a straightforward lateral freeway link to Hw1 and widen Hwy 1...easy...you do not hit any highly pristine areas that way at all. A tunnel from downtown to Hwy 1 across the Burrard Inlet would help too.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-20-2017 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,592,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree, a lot of similarities that some may not even realize. Refused housing ( happened to me twice ), fear of losing a job...not so much myself but I actually know someone slightly older who lost their job...because the job entailed dealing with customers who may have children!! Groan. Plus people being ostracized by family and friends. Still happens today.
I have lost my job twice because of being gay (both times in Canada). One in the past 5 years - they were stupid enough to say the words out loud in front of neutral folks, so it resulted in my getting a decent severance from them.

Likewise I know the ostracized thing quite well. Haven't spoke to siblings in years - to paraphrase my sister... why would we invite you to weddings etc., you aren't family. My husband hasn't spoken to his mother in years as she believes he chose to be gay and could pray it away if he just tried. Nasty people in this world.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:36 PM

1,147 posts, read 720,490 times
Vancouver......is hip. Best city .... on West Coast. Better than ... Portland.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Vancouver......is hip. Best city .... on West Coast. Better than ... Portland.
....best city on the west coast of Canada....

Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 AM

1,147 posts, read 720,490 times
Quote:
....best city on the west coast of Canada....
......no. I will now say Victoria... is better than .....Vancouver. Victoria more international ....than Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.