Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2017, 01:46 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
We're getting off topic here, but away from the coasts, Australia has the opposite problem to Canada.

Ice, snow, and deep cold for months on end to most people on this planet is an abhorrent state of affairs.

+1

Extreme hot is not the exactly opposite of extreme cold, it is quite better.....find a good source of water and even the interiors of Australia can be made habitable.....you cannot do that in the Northwest Territories.

You have Vegas in Nevada amd Palm Springs in the California desert but you cannot have cities like that in north Canada.

Unfortunately some Canadians have hard time grasping the concept that their climate is generally not pleasant....some may want to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

I am 100% sure the vast majority of Canadians wish the climate were warmer, and on a warm and short winter, most are happy about it. Canadians still enjoy living in Canada, but despite the horrible weather, and you act as if the weather didn't matter to their quality of life at all.

I agree...the vast majority of Canadians know that their weather is bad.....is probably the least favorite aspect of their country.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-26-2017 at 02:03 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 01:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
+1

Extreme hot is not the exactly opposite of extreme cold, it is must better.....find a good source of water and even the interiors of Australia can be made habitable.....you cannot do that in the Northwest Territories.

You have Vegas in Nevada but you cannot have Vegas in north Canada.

Unfortunately some Canadians have hard time grasping the concept that their climate is generally not pleasant....some may want to argue just for the sake of arguing.
It has been 40C for a week in a row in Shanghai and people are complaining about it. Right now, it feels 52C due to the humidity (get that, those who think Toronto is hot and humid!).

It is definitely very unpleasant but thinking about it, I still prefer this kind of heat than those -25C days. On hot days, you still have green trees and flowers, birds and everything. On cold days, everything is just dead and dreadful. And of course you never have to shovel the heat and the streets are still easy to walk on without all the ugly puddles.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

You also said, "to most people on this planet." That may be, but somehow, Canadians keep inhabiting their country, in all seasons. Hey, I've bumper-hitched down Yonge Street in winter--they cannot claim that in West Palm Beach.

....and if they have the financial means many eventually become snowbirds.....I never heard of beachbirds flocking north in summertime....

Old 07-26-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It has been 40C for a week in a row in Shanghai and people are complaining about it. Right now, it feels 52C due to the humidity (get that, those who think Toronto is hot and humid!).

It is definitely very unpleasant but thinking about it, I still prefer this kind of heat than those -25C days. On hot days, you still have green trees and flowers, birds and everything. On cold days, everything is just dead and dreadful. And of course you never have to shovel the heat and the streets are still easy to walk on without all the ugly puddles.

Exactly......and you are mentioning the worst possible type of hot weather (very high humidity)
You still have sunshine, no need to shovel anything, anywhere there is air conditioning, no need for tire chains...you can lazily lay on the beach....walking in very hot weather is simply much more tolerable than walking in very cod weather. All you need is a hat, sunscreen protection and a bottle of water!!

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-26-2017 at 02:03 AM..

Old 07-26-2017, 02:03 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post

Ice, snow, and deep cold for months on end to most people on this planet is an abhorrent state of affairs.

Bunch of whoosies.

Did you know that people who live in cold climates are more intelligent than people who live in hot climates? It's the truth. Heat addles the brain, causes brain fog and slowness, and makes people temperamental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

.......Canada's population is growing (what is it? 35 million now?).......

Right at this very moment as I type this it is 36,716,910.

I found this Canada population clock, it changes every few seconds: Canada population 2017 | Current population of Canada

36 716 910 Current population

18 216 371 Current male population (49.6%)
18 500 539 Current female population (50.4%)
221 017 Births this year
42 Births today
147 547 Deaths this year
28 Deaths today
135 436 Net migration this year
25 Net migration today
208 907 Population growth this year
39 Population growth today

Source : United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs: Population Division .

Old 07-26-2017, 02:23 AM

295 posts, read 263,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Bunch of whoosies.

Did you know that people who live in cold climates are more intelligent than people who live in hot climates? It's the truth. Heat addles the brain, causes brain fog and slowness, and makes people temperamental.

Right at this very moment as I type this it is 36,716,910.

I found this Canada population clock, it changes every few seconds: Canada population 2017 | Current population of Canada

36 716 910 Current population

18 216 371 Current male population (49.6%)
18 500 539 Current female population (50.4%)
221 017 Births this year
42 Births today
147 547 Deaths this year
28 Deaths today
135 436 Net migration this year
25 Net migration today
208 907 Population growth this year
39 Population growth today

Source : United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs: Population Division .
Sometimes when it is too cold, people become frozen and anti social. (Russians are exception though )

Old 07-26-2017, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
Sometimes when it is too cold, people become frozen and anti social. (Russians are exception though )

It's called hibernation. It's the practical thing to do.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:53 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I always find these comparisons odd. Simple numbers seem to suggest that the US would have a much higher quality of life and living standard, but they don't. Countries with higher taxes do.
Countries with higher taxes have higher living standards? lol. I guess that would make Cuba or Venezuala great places to live? Complete nonsense. The average Seattlite has nearly double the after tax income than the average person in Vancouver(and growing). You're making the argument that forcing everyone to buy a service they may not want or need(and paying a very expensive middle man to handle the transaction, government) results in a higher quality of life than just letting people keep more or their income and chose for themselves. I find these studies that say the scandinavian countries have this extremely high standards of living high suspicious. When I was living in NYC I had a friend from Denmark who was working an internship making $13 an hour she thought she was rich, talking about all this after tax/rent disposable income she had and how affordable everything was, in NYC! She would always explain how only the upper middle class and wealthy in Denmark can afford things like Land and cars, things even our poor have here.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post

.... More or less 50% of Canadians live below this red line for a reason....

That's not because of the climate, it's entirely because of the economy, geography and the water-ways. But I think you already know that and are pretending that you don't. Or maybe you really don't know that. If not, why not? What's the matter with you? Were you born and raised in a hot country?

You know, for the life of me I can't understand why anyone who would immigrate to Canada in this day and age couldn't be bothered to bone up a bit on the history, society and geographical facts about the country before even moving here. You moved to this continent how many years ago - 10 years or something like that? - plenty of time to learn the facts about the economy, demographics, geography and yet you still say the reason those Canadians live below that red line is because of Canada's climate. Unreal. What a joke. You are not qualified to expound about Canada. But I guess thinking it's about climate is better than the way most Americans erroneously think it's all about them and wanting to be close to them.

Geography definition:

the study of the physical features of the earth and its atmosphere, and of human activity as it affects and is affected by these, including the distribution of populations and resources, land use, and industries.
  • the nature and relative arrangement of places and physical features:
    "knowing the geography and topology of the region"

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-26-2017 at 03:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada